Big 12 Meetings | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I moved to Hoboken, NJ (literally right across the Hudson from NYC for those unaware) 18 months ago. There isn't a day that I don't see someone in a UConn shirt or a car with a UConn sticker parked on the street. TONS of alumni.

I am sure you have seen me around town with UConn gear on. You probably remember seeing me because you hurried to pull out your phone to get a pic of George Clooney in Hoboken with UConn gear on, but then your hopes deflated when you realized this guy was slightly better looking.

Reaction Score
I moved to Hoboken, NJ (literally right across the Hudson from NYC for those unaware) 18 months ago. There isn't a day that I don't see someone in a UConn shirt or a car with a UConn sticker parked on the street. TONS of alumni.

You probably just see me and my husky walking around haha. No but totally agree, as a Jersey raised, Hoboken living alum I see UConn everywhere here.

Reaction Score
Bohls: How about this Final Four for Big 12 expansion?

1. So which schools join the Big 12? This could change, but my initial preference would be to invite Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and UConn. Houston offers proximity and a rising football power; BYU has the best of all worlds with name identification, a strong athletics program and a terrific following, although no Sunday games and the fact it’s a private school with its own TV network could hurt it; and Cincinnati and UConn offer successful hoops teams and nearby partners for West Virginia.

Although I know it will never happen, swap Temple for Houston. East coast presence in 2 top media markets. B12 east region with UConn, Temple, WVU and UC. Feel free to add a Florida directional.

Reaction Score
Although I know it will never happen, swap Temple for Houston. East coast presence in 2 top media markets. B12 east region with UConn, Temple, WVU and UC. Feel free to add a Florida directional.
I just don't get the love affair on this board for Temple.....If they can sustain this success post Rhule then I will understand it. He will be on the short list at PSU when Franklin gets canned in a yr or 2.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
You guys follow this a lot closer than I do. So I have a question:

When Louisville was taken by the ACC, I read we were not aggressive in perusing that spot while Louisville went all out.

Now I'm reading several articles where four or five schools are pestering the Big 12 with non-stop sales pitches while UConn is "also interested".

Please reassure me we're doing everything we can to educate the Big 12 about our good qualities.

Reaction Score

When Louisville was taken by the ACC, I read we were not aggressive in perusing that spot while Louisville went all out.

Now I'm reading several articles where four or five schools are pestering the Big 12 with non-stop sales pitches while UConn is "also interested".

Please reassure me were doing everything we can to educate the Big 12 about our good qualities.
I wish we'd make a little more noise too, but in reality it probably isn't going to matter either way. The Big 12 paid good money to a couple of different consulting firms to put together pros and cons lists for each candidate. They probably already know pretty much who they're going to take.

Any window dressing we do isn't going to matter much. Would make us feel a little better in the meantime though.

Reaction Score

Please reassure me we're doing everything we can to educate the Big 12 about our good qualities.

Some do it more publicly than others. I think we have the right leadership in place to make our case which is significant in all of the right metrics. Football performance having been an obvious issue but moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score

5. What can UConn do to sell itself?
This is tricky. While schools such as Memphis and Cincinnati are blatantly peddling themselves to the Big 12, UConn has been underground. There are no email or phone trails — The Courant's FOI request came up empty — and school officials have passed on talking about the Big 12. But don't mistake the public silence for a passive approach. Sources and school officials have said there has been contact. Big 12 leaders know that UConn is very interested in joining and they know what UConn offers. In fact, there's a sense in Storrs that Big 12 folks appreciate UConn's understated approach. So don't expect a change. A day after the Big 12's announcement, UConn officials were sitting tight and anticipating contact from the conference. The school will follow the lead of the conference, which will decide how the process will play out. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said he will compile information — there could be a campus visit — before reporting back to presidents. If the presidents go ahead with expansion, negotiations could begin by the end of the summer. And it will be a negotiation. The Big 12 will listen to what candidates have to offer and are willing to take financially. Candidates best not be too demanding.

In case you missed this posted earlier: UConn Content To Stay Behind The Scenes, Vows Not To Pester Big 12 Bosses

Reaction Score

Please reassure me were doing everything we can to educate the Big 12 about our good qualities.
What exactly UConn did with UL, we're not sure, but the word is UConn got too complacent with the ACC and allowed UL to maneuver in and take the spot. That combined with the forces of the situation dictating that FSU and Clemson held FAR more sway in the decision than they did in 04 with BC, VT, Miami and 11 with Pitt and Cuse, they pushed HARD for UL over us because of the perceived better football, after making the basketball-first move in 2011.

In this case, UConn is choosing to make its pitch via backchannels and quiet discussion as opposed to tweeting about it, planting stories in papers, releasing ginned up Powerpoints, etc. Since the use of FOIAs, Twitter, and leaving footprints is far different now than it was five years ago, it's understandable that UConn is maintaining contact through untraceable channels. What would be very disconcerting is if the communication isn't actually happening and we're just waiting around for a phone call. But if Herbst and the like are keeping their cards close to their vest so as not to make a media mess out of this anymore than it is, and keeping in touch with other B12 presidents and the conference outside of the media and its scope, then I'm good with that. Makes us look more mature, put together, and ready to make a move.

Don't forget you haven't heard anything out of the mouths of BYU either.

Reaction Score
5. What can UConn do to sell itself? This is tricky. While schools such as Memphis and Cincinnati are blatantly peddling themselves to the Big 12, UConn has been underground. There are no email or phone trails — The Courant's FOI request came up empty — and school officials have passed on talking about the Big 12. But don't mistake the public silence for a passive approach. Sources and school officials have said there has been contact. Big 12 leaders know that UConn is very interested in joining and they know what UConn offers. In fact, there's a sense in Storrs that Big 12 folks appreciate UConn's understated approach. So don't expect a change. A day after the Big 12's announcement, UConn officials were sitting tight and anticipating contact from the conference. The school will follow the lead of the conference, which will decide how the process will play out. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said he will compile information — there could be a campus visit — before reporting back to presidents. If the presidents go ahead with expansion, negotiations could begin by the end of the summer. And it will be a negotiation. The Big 12 will listen to what candidates have to offer and are willing to take financially. Candidates best not be too demanding.

.....no matter what is said or how bad the joke it was sheer genius and we're 100% onboard. And we don't want to be the ones to publicly put foot in mouth so less said the better.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

UConn began pitching the Big 12 in February of 2015.

Reaction Score
What exactly UConn did with UL, we're not sure, but the word is UConn got too complacent with the ACC and allowed UL to maneuver in and take the spot. That combined with the forces of the situation dictating that FSU and Clemson held FAR more sway in the decision than they did in 04 with BC, VT, Miami and 11 with Pitt and Cuse, they pushed HARD for UL over us because of the perceived better football, after making the basketball-first move in 2011.

In this case, UConn is choosing to make its pitch via backchannels and quiet discussion as opposed to tweeting about it, planting stories in papers, releasing ginned up Powerpoints, etc. Since the use of FOIAs, Twitter, and leaving footprints is far different now than it was five years ago, it's understandable that UConn is maintaining contact through untraceable channels. What would be very disconcerting is if the communication isn't actually happening and we're just waiting around for a phone call. But if Herbst and the like are keeping their cards close to their vest so as not to make a media mess out of this anymore than it is, and keeping in touch with other B12 presidents and the conference outside of the media and its scope, then I'm good with that. Makes us look more mature, put together, and ready to make a move.

Well you did here the statement from the BYU AD, but overall I feel more confident that the school leaders are better prepared this time. Doesn't mean there can't be some machinations that lead us being left out, as were already seeing with Houston. To me this just means we have to quietly scratch and claw to be 11. I'm assuming Houston is 14 no matter what at this point. Concede nothing in this process.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If UConn was complacent w.r.t. the ACC, it's because someone in the ACC (possibly the NC schools, maybe UVA) told them it was nothing to worry about, they were in. All of the media reports a couple weeks before the vote were pretty much unanimous that UConn was likely to be the choice. Now, the story is that Tom Jurich lobbied hard to get Louisville in while UConn was doing nothing. That story made Jurich the public hero for UL, but I don't completely buy it. More likely, it was when FSU and Clemson decided the conference was becoming too northern and they found a block of support from Miami and BC... My guess is that UConn was continuing to get reassurances from back-channel contacts at UNC/Duke that they were going to get in, while FSU was pressuring the league and maybe even hinting at leaving for the Big12 in order to consolidate their power. Jeff Jacobs reported that in the last week, UConn officials were calling Shalala at Miami and other pro-UL votes to flip their support, but couldn't get the calls returned.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
By the way... Ralph Russo (AP) found a communication to WVU -

A UConn student sent a report prepared by the school’s alumni to West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons that points out the Storrs-based school provides access to TV markets (including New York and Boston) with potential to reach 11.7 million homes while the combined markets reached by Cincinnati, UCF, South Florida and Houston is 12.3 million homes.

This may have been from a few months ago. But it indicates there is likely back-channel stuff, and as @brasssbonanzaa notes, it's likely to be un-FOIAable. (Given that the Alumni Association was folded into the private UConn Foundation, the above note was probably done independently).

Reaction Score

This may have been from a few months ago. But it indicates there is likely back-channel stuff, and as @brasssbonanzaa notes, it's likely to be un-FOIAable. (Given that the Alumni Association was folded into the private UConn Foundation, the above note was probably done independently).
If this is true, it's a pretty clear indicator UConn's being very careful in how they communicate with the B12 and keeping it off the radar. Yes, there have been some general public statements, just like the BYU one mentioned, but nothing of any substance, certainly none of these nonsensical quotes from ECU or the Memphis Powerpoint that look desperate and dopey. I get the sense UConn's being extra careful to keep all communications untraceable, at least for now.

Reaction Score
If UConn was complacent w.r.t. the ACC, it's because someone in the ACC (possibly the NC schools, maybe UVA) told them it was nothing to worry about, they were in. All of the media reports a couple weeks before the vote were pretty much unanimous that UConn was likely to be the choice. Now, the story is that Tom Jurich lobbied hard to get Louisville in while UConn was doing nothing. That story made Jurich the public hero for UL, but I don't completely buy it. More likely, it was when FSU and Clemson decided the conference was becoming too northern and they found a block of support from Miami and BC... My guess is that UConn was continuing to get reassurances from back-channel contacts at UNC/Duke that they were going to get in, while FSU was pressuring the league and maybe even hinting at leaving for the Big12 in order to consolidate their power. Jeff Jacobs reported that in the last week, UConn officials were calling Shalala at Miami and other pro-UL votes to flip their support, but couldn't get the calls returned.
Bingo. UConn was a victim of circumstance as much as they were a victim of their own complacency. We probably shouldn't have been sitting around accepting the assurances that we were in and "monitoring the situation" but to leave out FSU and Clemson's pushes to take UL would be entirely incorrect.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We can rehash the ACC decision over and over again, but what really happened is Louisville pushed down the door because BC took the hinges off. Once the anti-UConn contingent found a viable alternative to UConn there was no stopping it. BC, Syracuse, etc wanted us out under the false notion that it will strengthen their own D1 status. Of course, the last 5 years has proven the strategy has failed to work. Fan interest in the northeast seems lower than in the B1GEast days and neither school has performed any better.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

The student that wrote that email (which included facts about UConn and metrics from the Dooley thread) posted it here along with WVU AD Shane Lyons pleasant response.

Reaction Score

BB Cincy has suddenly shut down the begging act as well. I don't know if that is a result of Ohno moving on or not though.

Reaction Score
Who the is Neil Pilson??? He is the man!!!
Just to give what he said some context, Neal Pilson was the head of CBS Sports from the mid 80s-90s and is no stranger to negotiating huge TV deals with the NFL, Nascar and every other major sports league. What I am trying to say is this guy matters, big time. This is the kind of guy who UT and OK would listen to. That is a YUUGE statement by a nationally recognized sports media expert in the NY Times. This is about as good of PR as it gets if you are CT fan. Lets see if the B12 actually listens.....

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe that UConn was told that they were in by Tobacco Road and possibly Swofford himself. Just like you said FSU and Clemson took the ACC hostage last minute and flipped the vote. Jurich took the glory but it wasn't his public pandering that made them change their mind.

If you go back to the audio of the Tulane to Big East presser during the time, Aresco and then Tulane president Scott Cowen (UConn football alum) went out of their way not to mention UConn but touted Louisville instead. There was even an awkward pause when Cowen said he played football at C.. err "a big east school."

After the dust settled, there was an article about how Aresco and Swofford are friends and that although the media was reporting that the ACC may take 3 schools Swofford told Aresco that they were only taking one! I can almost guarantee by the way Aresco spoke about the conference during those two weeks touting Louisville and never mentioning UConn that UConn was Swoffords pick.

I spoke to Andy Katz about this at the time and he said I was probably right. He also said that UConn was definitely working behind the scenes and not sitting still.

We have done and are doing everything possible to get out - we're doing it the right way thru back channels. We're still in touch with the ACC and B1G too, so if we go public and say we want to be in the Big 12 and we don't make it (#PrayFor4) how does that help us with the other conferences?

Be patient. We can only worry about things in our control.

Reaction Score
We need to find something for the Governor of Texas to do besides possibly shutting the whole thing down with his meddling. Everybody in the media suddenly thinks he is King of the B12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom