Big 12 Meetings | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting enough..a guy I work with grew up in Bed Stuy/Crown Heights off of Eastern Parkway...just moved form there about 5 months ago..he said in that part of Brooklyn UConn gear is #1 for college gear

Ever since Kemba Walker went off in 2011, NYC has been UConn territory with HS age kids through the outer boroughs.

Kemba was one of their own. He's royalty.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I moved to Hoboken, NJ (literally right across the Hudson from NYC for those unaware) 18 months ago. There isn't a day that I don't see someone in a UConn shirt or a car with a UConn sticker parked on the street. TONS of alumni.

Haha. I'm in Hoboken right now. I've actually noticed a ton of Husky gear here lately too.

Reaction Score
Feels like the crystal ball watch like on the men's basketball board.

Reaction Score
Joe Dapper@JoeDapps 1 hour ago
@ralphDrussoAP@AP_Top25 Good luck getting the Texas B12 schools to agree to travel to Connecticut for all sports. Not happening.

So they'll travel to WV but not UConn?

Flying commercial, WV is about 50 mins shorter in the air, but about 30-40 minutes longer on the road.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So they'll travel to WV but not UConn?

Flying commercial, WV is about 50 mins shorter in the air, but about 30-40 minutes longer on the road.
There you go, trying to inject facts into a perfectly irrational process.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yup... He's hearing whispers (and probably has better intel on Navigate/Bevilacqua data)

Exactly, which is awesome. If there's one thing I know about sports media members (and especially guys like Dodd), it's that they hate nothing more than admitting that they're wrong. They're willing to hold on to ridiculous takes for the sheer sake of self pride. To see him flip flop so quickly and so drastically speaks volumes. I believe just last night he left UConn entirely off his list of the best candidates for expansion...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
UConn Content To Stay Behind The Scenes, Vows Not To Pester Big 12 Bosses
UConn Content To Stay Behind The Scenes, Vows Not To Pester Big 12 Bosses

From the article:

School officials in Storrs have privately said UConn has made its interest known. But there has been no public promoting and that won't change, according to sources at the school.

"What we do every day at UConn is a public sign to the country that we are committed to having a university and an athletic department that is in the best possible position nationally," Benedict said. "What better public display of evidence do you need than winning NCAA and conference championships and going to a bowl game at a university that's ranked among the top 20 public research universities in the country?

"UConn makes a very visible commitment to academics and athletics. We know that the key decision-makers in the future of college athletics are fully aware of UConn and know that we want to compete at the very highest level. To me, tangible results are UConn's very public way of saying we want to be and belong among the very best."

Reference to AP story about FOIA contact between schools (pretty sure this email exchange was posted here - and it was based on @Dooley good work):

UConn's presence in the AP story? "A UConn student sent a report prepared by the school's alumni to West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons that points out the Storrs-based school provides access to TV markets (including New York and Boston) with potential to reach 11.7 million homes while the combined markets reached by Cincinnati, UCF, South Florida and Houston is 12.3 million homes," according to the report.

There was nothing from a UConn administrator.

The article also touched on the football only scenario and Big East thing among other things. Some good stuff from Doyle lately.

Reaction Score
Bohls: How about this Final Four for Big 12 expansion?

1. So which schools join the Big 12? This could change, but my initial preference would be to invite Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and UConn. Houston offers proximity and a rising football power; BYU has the best of all worlds with name identification, a strong athletics program and a terrific following, although no Sunday games and the fact it’s a private school with its own TV network could hurt it; and Cincinnati and UConn offer successful hoops teams and nearby partners for West Virginia.

Reaction Score

1. So which schools join the Big 12? This could change, but my initial preference would be to invite Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and UConn. Houston offers proximity and a rising football power; BYU has the best of all worlds with name identification, a strong athletics program and a terrific following, although no Sunday games and the fact it’s a private school with its own TV network could hurt it; and Cincinnati and UConn offer successful hoops teams and nearby partners for West Virginia.

WOW!! This is a complete turn around!
Bohls..like Dodds and Carlton were so Anti-UConn it wasn't even funny! They even appeared to go out of their way to knock Tramel when he mentioned UConn as a top viable candidate when B-12 expansion first started rot heat up.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
WOW!! This is a complete turn around!
Bohls..like Dodds and Carlton were so Anti-UConn it wasn't even funny! They even appeared to go out of their way to knock Tramel when he mentioned UConn as a top viable candidate when B-12 expansion first started rot heat up.

Its the TV analysis. You can thank the ACCn and the B1G tv $$ for changing their minds. Its all about tv money again.

Reaction Score
Neal Pilson in the NYT this morning:

The most important data point in favor of Big 12 expansion, said Neal Pilson, a media consultant and former CBS Sports president, is the massive rights extensions the Big Ten reportedly struck with Fox, ESPN and CBS, which would nearly triple that conference’s annual rights revenue (not including the Big Ten Network), to nearly a quarter of a billion dollars.

“A digital network the A.C.C. is talking about with ESPN — it’s a no-brainer, but it’s not a big revenue generator,” Pilson said Wednesday. “It’s added exposure. It looks good. It sounds good. But in terms of the real driver, which is revenue generation, I think the Big Ten is much more relevant.”

For that reason, Pilson advised the Big 12 to take a page from the Big Ten’s playbook. Much as the Big Ten, a traditionally Midwestern league, recently added Rutgers and Maryland to plant its flag near several East Coast population centers, the Big 12, whose members reside in Great Plains states and Texas (and West Virginia), ought to invite Connecticut to join, Pilson said.

“Having Texas and Oklahoma and the other major Big 12 schools playing in the Northeast would create additional revenue opportunities and make it a more attractive conference in terms of new sponsors and a better linear television deal,” Pilson said.

Thanks, Neal! (and E-F-F OFF Bristol)

Reaction Score

The most important data point in favor of Big 12 expansion, said Neal Pilson, a media consultant and former CBS Sports president, is the massive rights extensions the Big Ten reportedly struck with Fox, ESPN and CBS, which would nearly triple that conference’s annual rights revenue (not including the Big Ten Network), to nearly a quarter of a billion dollars.

“A digital network the A.C.C. is talking about with ESPN — it’s a no-brainer, but it’s not a big revenue generator,” Pilson said Wednesday. “It’s added exposure. It looks good. It sounds good. But in terms of the real driver, which is revenue generation, I think the Big Ten is much more relevant.”

For that reason, Pilson advised the Big 12 to take a page from the Big Ten’s playbook. Much as the Big Ten, a traditionally Midwestern league, recently added Rutgers and Maryland to plant its flag near several East Coast population centers, the Big 12, whose members reside in Great Plains states and Texas (and West Virginia), ought to invite Connecticut to join, Pilson said.

“Having Texas and Oklahoma and the other major Big 12 schools playing in the Northeast would create additional revenue opportunities and make it a more attractive conference in terms of new sponsors and a better linear television deal,” Pilson said.

Connect the historical dots... Tranghese - Pilson - Bevilacqua

Reaction Score

Who the is Neil Pilson??? He is the man!!!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

So now we're fungible with Cinci? :rolleyes:

I guess progress is progress.

(In fairness, if I'm a Cinci football fan I'm probably having a similar reaction.)

Reaction Score
Yesterday there was a discussion about Houston to the PAC which is about 1100 miles from Phoenix /Tucson it's closest PAC schools
I discounted the idea on distance alone,plus PAC academic snobbery
After thinking about this Houston and UConn would be perfect combination adds
for the ACC. Since it might satisfy the football guys as a balance to the BB guys.
The ACC gets a foothold in Texas recruiting and the NE population centers.
Ironically if the geographical center of the ACC is Raleigh ,Houston is pretty much equal in its distance to there as to Tucson.

Reaction Score
The recruiting foothold argument is overblown. Houston to the ACC for recruiting? HUH?

Does anyone really think FSU and Clemson would be more successful recruiting against Texas and TAMU if only they played one game in Houston every other year?

If a recruit in Texas wants to play P5 football in Texas, he has quite a few options in the B12 already.

Reaction Score

This guy must read my posts. I've been saying this was Ct strenght for five years.
Even though I'm not wild about the Big 12. Their lack of collegiality is to reminiscent of the BiG East.
Playing Connecticut gives Schools media coverage in an area hungry for sports
They double their footprint with the Ct addition.

Reaction Score
Yesterday there was a discussion about Houston to the PAC which is about 1100 miles from Phoenix /Tucson it's closest PAC schools
I discounted the idea on distance alone,plus PAC academic snobbery
After thinking about this Houston and UConn would be perfect combination adds
for the ACC. Since it might satisfy the football guys as a balance to the BB guys.
The ACC gets a foothold in Texas recruiting and the NE population centers.
Ironically if the geographical center of the ACC is Raleigh ,Houston is pretty much equal in its distance to there as to Tucson.

The ACC isn't taking us for myriad reasons. So E-F-F them too. The Big 12 train might be the last one out and we have to get on it. As Dooley has opined, there will be no sugar coating of the kick to the nut sack if we miss out. Re: expansion, the Big 12 is definitely better off adding 4, instead of 2. If I can allow myself to star gaze, I believe it will be UConn, Cincy, Houston (heavy politics being played in Austin on that one.) and BYU, if conditions are met. If they can't work a deal with BYU, then Memphis. Just IMO. *(Boy, I hate having to do this - we should have been safely ensconced in a P-5 Conference before now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom