Big 12 geography | The Boneyard

Big 12 geography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i am so sick of reading the lazy medi pundit suggest Uconn has all the metrics and then write them off due to geography.

Provo to college station - 1300 miles
Storrs to college station - 1700 miles

That's less than one hour by plane. I'm sure there are other metrics that would further bolster that point. Proximity to wvu/cincy being one...

Reaction Score
Here is the Big 12 geography that counts...

Map of US...one dot per person....

afDEuHe.png

Reaction Score
i am so sick of reading the lazy medi pundit suggest Uconn has all the metrics and then write them off due to geography.

That's less than one hour by plane. I'm sure there are other metrics that would further bolster that point. Proximity to wvu/cincy being one...
Don't allow these subjective internet hacks get to you. Everything they write has a personal agenda. If you listen to these losers, Uconn has no shot. If you listen to tv execs or consultants, UConn is a must. We are on the right side. These guys on the Internet are used car salesmen. Total bush league with no relevance.

Reaction Score

While I can see the point you're trying to make and I agree that geography as a barrier is way overblown, there is something I think you should know:

College Station is the home of Texas A&M who is in the SEC.

The University of Texas is in Austin.

Reaction Score
Geography seems to be the only knock on UConn. This seems to be a fair and obvious assessment:

Upside: If UConn were located in Cincinnati, the Huskies might have been in the Big 12 in 2012. This is a championship athletic department with strength in both men’s and women’s sports and a statewide following that can spill over into the New York market because of alumni there. UConn football will always need exactly the right coach to remain competitive, but that’s true of some current members. The simple question is whether the Big 12 wants to stretch itself this far. If members are comfortable with the distance, there is little debate about UConn’s value.

No joke: This is how the Big 12's expansion candidates should be ranked

Reaction Score
Yes, Geography seems to be only really knock, but Big12 Commissioner stated Geography is not a factor on Mike & Mike. All other crtieria he stated during conference call on Tuesday has UCONN hitting high marks. I can't see if its 4 schools, how UCONN is not in. It would not make sense considering the statements from their commissioner.

Reaction Score
I see Geography as a strong point not a weakness. The big 12 already has one school sitting off by itself, WVU. Also the majority of the population are located in the eastern part of the country and you have major population centers from NY up to Boston. What if... this is a positioning move to secure an east coast presence before the ACC can. You know Houston is in... Texas has claimed them as their new step child and that is that. That still leaves 3 schools plus WVU is still out by themselves looking for a travel partner. That is where UC, Memphis and UCONN fit in. expand to 14 schools, 7 team divisions, put the new schools, plus WVU and perhaps to Kansas schools all in on division, it would cut back on travel, you could do a round robin to build in a game or two from the other division schools and now you have the east cost market.

Reaction Score
Back in the distant past (when the BE was originally raided) many posters constantly opined that the BC move to the ACC was a terrible "cultural fit" of a NE school in a southern league. In the absence of any such posts are we to assume that UConn is a good "cultural fit" with a Texas conference or that those posters have finally come to realize that none of that "culture fit" crap matters?

Reaction Score
Back in the distant past (when the BE was originally raided) many posters constantly opined that the BC move to the ACC was a terrible "cultural fit" of a NE school in a southern league. In the absence of any such posts are we to assume that UConn is a good "cultural fit" with a Texas conference or that those posters have finally come to realize that none of that "culture fit" crap matters?

You're drowning and someone throws a line in the water ... do you care if it's from a Sea Ray or a Chris-Craft???

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
UConns is already in a Texas conference bro.

Reaction Score
Just a thought here but with the Big 12 saying that expansion is going to take place will this have the Big 10 or the ACC to think about possibly adding teams also to bump up to 16 teams? They may want to add a Cincinnati, a UConn a UCF or a Houston so the Big 12 doesn't get them. Yes, its far fetched but a thought.

Reaction Score
Like you said, that was the distant past, when regional rivalries and proximity mattered in college sports.

They don't anymore.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Why don't they list our two conference titles? They do for Cinci and memphis. Why is distance a downside for us but not for BYU? Why don't they talk about competition for sports dollar whether if be other college teams or pro teams?

It's maddening.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Geography is the reason why the B12 is on such shaky footing to begin with. When all of your member schools are in a 2-3 state radius (many of them located in remote, rural areas), you have no national footprint. When you have no national footprint, it hurts your TV brand/exposure. That's no knock on each school or their AD. In fact, I think many of these schools would flourish if they were able to grow their brand into densely populated areas, like the New York through Boston corridor.

The ACC and B1G both expanded to blanket huge geographic and populated areas. The SEC expanded their footprint when they went into Texas. The PAC expanded their footprint when they went into Colorado and Utah. The Big 12? They're talking about more schools in a state that they already have 4 members.

In terms of growing the B12 brand and giving its current members an opportunity to expand into new, heavily populated pockets of the country, I would think that our location (and distance from the current B12) would be an asset to what they want and need to do to remain a P5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom