Better Call Saul | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Better Call Saul

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Two things we'll hear more about next season:

- What New Mexico's laws are regarding taping someone without their knowledge.

- How Chuck reacts when he realizes he was reduced to acting like Jimmy in order to get Jimmy to admit to doctoring those documents.

My only quibble with how this season went is how big Jimmy's blind spot for Chuck is. He knows how his brother feels about him, but it took Kim saying something to make him realize he should cover his tracks at the copy center. Then he believes everything is okay between him and Chuck after he sends his brother in for a CAT scan against his wishes. And the only reason Chuck needed a CAT scan was because of injuries his suffered trying to prove Jimmy did something. Maybe the larger point is these are lessons Jimmy needs to learn in order to fully become the Saul Goodman character.

That, sir, is an excellent projection of distinct possibilities. Sign me up for your newsletter.

I would add that I think Jimmy resolutely believes that Chuck will eventually provide a quid pro quo due to familial blood or all that Jimmy has done for him. Jimmy can't fathom that someone could be as obstinate as Chuck regarding following the letter of the law, especially as Chuck has already "won", at least as far as Jimmy never getting a partnership at a major firm. Chuck will never let bygones be bygones. A more rational person could recognize that their mother's last words could easily have been spoken from delirium - and who knows in what context she meant to call out "Jimmy".

Reaction Score
Two things we'll hear more about next season:

- What New Mexico's laws are regarding taping someone without their knowledge.

- How Chuck reacts when he realizes he was reduced to acting like Jimmy in order to get Jimmy to admit to doctoring those documents.

My only quibble with how this season went is how big Jimmy's blind spot for Chuck is. He knows how his brother feels about him, but it took Kim saying something to make him realize he should cover his tracks at the copy center. Then he believes everything is okay between him and Chuck after he sends his brother in for a CAT scan against his wishes. And the only reason Chuck needed a CAT scan was because of injuries his suffered trying to prove Jimmy did something. Maybe the larger point is these are lessons Jimmy needs to learn in order to fully become the Saul Goodman character.
It has been against the law to record someone without consent in New Mexico since 1980. Chuck won't be able to use it as evidence in any kind of criminal case and has to know that, and we know Jimmy doesn't go to jail, but what leverage does it give him? What is his motivation? Jimmy doesn't care about working at a major firm, and he doesn't (significantly) care about his reputation within the field of law, beyond what Kim thinks of him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Jimmy always could have claimed he said what he felt he had to say (regardless of whether it was or was not true) to make his brother feel better. The recording was vindication for Chuck and the end result will merely be destroying Kim's best opportunity of building a credible law practice. My guess is the fallout of this is Jimmy losing Kim and giving up his name (enter Saul Goodman).

On something that was mentioned earlier in this thread; my guess is that at some point early to mid next season there will be a flashback to Chuck losing his wife (to divorce, illness, who knows what) and something within it having to do with Jimmy being Jimmy, escalating Chuck's resentment of Jimmy even further.

Reaction Score
I get some of the hate for Chuck, but he is no worse (in fact better) than Jimmy. He is the only person to have known all along what Jimmy really is; what we all know Jimmy really is. He has had to watch everyone love Jimmy despite what he knew. Imagine how frustrating that must be. Chuck has been completely right this entire time about Jimmy; he knows Jimmy that well. All he is really after is giving Jimmy what he has deserved all along.

You guys just love to watch Jimmy get away with it with no thought of Chuck at all. I bet you who hate on Chuck hated Skylar in BB.
Well, that's a pretty good life lesson for anyone and everyone. That is not even close to something unique to Chuck on BCS. The only thing you can control is yourself. You can't control the actions of others, or their reactions to other people. Chuck is just going to end up driving himself mad trying to change either Jimmy or the rest of the world in how they react to Jimmy. He'll never succeed at either one and the fallout will not be pretty.

Reaction Score
Good points all, I especially like the fact check on NMex law. Of course Chuck doesn't need to put Jimmy in jail, but Chuck might 'need' to restore his reputation by playing the tape back to Mesa Verde. Of course at that point Mesa Verde would run from both Kim & H&M, so maybe Chuck has to pull a double Jimmy and use the tape as blackmail.

And I think the 2 Chicago trip take on Chuck's tipping point is very strong. Good motivation for Chuck to keep Jimmy down and then Jimmy must have done something specific (beyond being an irritant) to induce Chuck's illness = why Jimmy continues to diligently care for Chuck.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I haven't read the posts because I am only at episode 7. I had to wait for the show to come out on Netflix. I don't know why AMC makes it so difficult to watch their shows on demand.

In any event, this show is amazing. I like it better than Breaking Bad.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I haven't read the posts because I am only at episode 7. I had to wait for the show to come out on Netflix. I don't know why AMC makes it so difficult to watch their shows on demand.

It's funnier but I don't know if it is better...yet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The two networks who simply do not get the internet are AMC and Showtime.

Both of them paid the same 13-year old to code their apps.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Better Call Saul is on Netflix.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
May be the best show on television right now. Finished up Season 2.

This show can only go 4 or 5 seasons. Jonathan Banks is hitting the age tipping point where he is not really credible as a tough guy.

Jimmy is a sinkhole of corruption that accidentally destroys everyone around him. It is probably going to end badly for Kim, because of Jimmy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Season premier was a bit slow and disappointing. It was ok, but was expecting more from a season premier. I know Gilligan like to do a sloooowwwww burn, but there were a couple times where I could have went to the kitchen and/or bathroom and come back and not missed anything.

I'm sure it will pick up though.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Season premier was a bit slow and disappointing. It was ok, but was expecting more from a season premier. I know Gilligan like to do a sloooowwwww burn, but there were a couple times where I could have went to the kitchen and/or bathroom and come back and not missed anything.

True, but he put a teaser in there in the last moments to keep us coming back.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

That would've been a rough starting point for anyone who hadn't watched the first two seasons. It did drag quite a bit. The Mike subplot was infinitely more entertaining that the Jimmy one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought Season 3 started great.

If you want shoot em up, watch Ray Donovan. Saul is not that kind of show.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thought Season 3 started great.

If you want shoot em up, watch Ray Donovan. Saul is not that kind of show.
Of course, here comes nelson defending Gilligan. :rolleyes:

Don't want a shoot em up. Just wanted Jimmy's story line to advance a little. Mike's did, no reason Jimmy's couldn't.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That would've been a rough starting point for anyone who hadn't watched the first two seasons. It did drag quite a bit. The Mike subplot was infinitely more entertaining that the Jimmy one.
Yea, that was my thought too.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The best Jimmy part was when he told the kid in the mall to keep quiet and hire a lawyer. I'm guessing that when this all ends, Jimmy (who is in hiding) inadvertently exposes himself and gets locked up.

When Jimmy is on, he is a very entertaining character but Mike's character is out and out fascinating. One huge disconnect from BB is that I don't see how Mike could have been so careless that Walt would have been able to kill him.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One huge disconnect from BB is that I don't see how Mike could have been so careless that Walt would have been able to kill him.
IIRC, I don't think it was planned, but kinda came out of the blue for both of them.

Reaction Score
Very much enjoying this show now and looking forward to each episode. It is absolutely a slow burn, but b/c we know the final outcome it is easier to appreciate and the artistry of things like taking apart the car are fantastic. A little disappointed how simplistic Chuck's plan for Jimmy was and how easily Jimmy succumbed especially since it wasn't really capitalizing on Jimmy's tragic flaw (a hustler) but simply Jimmy's lack of self control and respect for boundaries with Chuck. All out war between those two now, and Jimmy with nothing to lose is a formidable adversary.

On the Mike front that slowed down a bit despite meeting Fring and importing Jimmy into Mike's world. Is it evil that I can't wait to see Mike & Fring give Hector a stroke?

Reaction Score
anyone notice the camera shot in which the money carrier was sitting in the passenger seat while driving?
I think it was he 1st pulled up to los pollos hermanos.
Other scenes when he's collecting, he's in a normal left sided truck.

I usually never catch those things, but I noticed it last night.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
anyone notice the camera shot in which the money carrier was sitting in the passenger seat while driving?
I think it was he 1st pulled up to los pollos hermanos.
Other scenes when he's collecting, he's in a normal left sided truck.

I usually never catch those things, but I noticed it last night.
Mike was looking through the rear view mirror with his binoculars.

Reaction Score
Mike was looking through the rear view mirror with his binoculars.
Must have been tricky to get the camera lense directed into the binoculars and then bounce off mirror. Or maybe they just turned the film around ;)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Very much enjoying this show now and looking forward to each episode. It is absolutely a slow burn, but b/c we know the final outcome it is easier to appreciate and the artistry of things like taking apart the car are fantastic. A little disappointed how simplistic Chuck's plan for Jimmy was and how easily Jimmy succumbed especially since it wasn't really capitalizing on Jimmy's tragic flaw (a hustler) but simply Jimmy's lack of self control and respect for boundaries with Chuck. All out war between those two now, and Jimmy with nothing to lose is a formidable adversary.

On the Mike front that slowed down a bit despite meeting Fring and importing Jimmy into Mike's world. Is it evil that I can't wait to see Mike & Fring give Hector a stroke?

I thought the same thing. Jimmy should have seen this coming a mile away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom