Best rookie class in WNBA history? | The Boneyard

Best rookie class in WNBA history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I haven't always followed the WNBA closely, but I'm wondering if there's ever been a more productive rookie class than this season's. It seems that hardly a game goes by without at least one rookie leaving a heavy imprint.
  • Stewie, the presumptive ROY, is averaging 19 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game (ranking 5th, 2nd, and 3rd in the league, respectively).
  • Moriah is averaging 12 points and 4 assists per game.
  • Tiffany Mitchell is averaging 11 points in only 23 minutes per game.
  • Aerial Powers is averaging 10 points in only 18 mpg.
  • Tuck is averaging 7 points and 3 rebounds in only 17 mpg.
  • Imani Boyette: 7 points and 6 rebounds in 19 mpg.
  • Kahleah Copper: 6 points and 3 rebounds in 17 mpg.
  • Jonquel Jones: 5 points and 3 rebounds in 12 mpg.
  • Bria Holmes: 5 points in 17 mpg (was just promoted to starter to replace the injured Sancho Lyttle; was outstanding in the win over LA).
  • Courtney Williams (in 8 games with the Sun): 7 points in only 14 mpg.
I wish there was an easy way to compare the collective stats of this year's rookie class to those of previous years. (Any stat-crunchers out there?)

Reaction Score
I think Stewie is unique, very difficult to find someone, may be DT, Maya, to compare with.
Stewie will win ROY this year and MVP next year.

Reaction Score
Look up the rookie class in 1999 when the ABL disbanded......and then look at 2001! THis isn't even fifth best. I think the rookie class of 2008 and 2014 are better.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't count 1999 as it had mostly ABL players.

2001 was special. LJ and Catch were Super Stars, lots of players who were multiple All-Stars, All-WNBA like Deanna Nolan, Penny Taylor, Katie Douglas, Ruth Riley, Marie Ferdinand (she was great pre-pregnancy), and then you also had Jackie Stiles whos career was cut short by injuries (she was an all-star her rookie year). Also in that class were people like the Miller sisters (especially Kelly), Svet, Tammy Sutton Brown who had solid careers as starters in the W.

2004 had DT of course. Whalen also had a great career (multiple Olympian, finished number 2 in MVP in 08 and Top 5 another year), and players like Beard, Brunson, Powell, Perkins who were All-Stars.

2008 was suppose to be this AMAZING draft class with Parker, Fowles, Wiggins, etc. Wiggins looked great her first year and a half, then after injuries, lost her speed and was never the same. Hornbuckle, Anosike and Houston looked great the first 2 or 3 years. Langhorne is/was an All-Star and made 2nd team WNBA one year, I believe. Carson had a solid career, but I think people like Laura Harper, Tasha Humphreys, LaToya Pringle, Matee Ajavon have had disappointing careers.

The funny thing about the 2009 class, was that as freshmens and sophomore's, there was a lot of hype, particularly with Kristi Toliver, Marissa Coleman, Courtney Paris. Angel didn't really come on until her Jr year. It actually has decent depth in the first round, Renee, DeWanna Bonner, Brianne January, Kia Vaughn, Shavonte Zelleous and the 3 previously mentioned. Only Angel really is a star.

2010 was a huge disappointment outside of Tina and Epiphany Prince.

I had high hopes for the 2011 class. Maya obviously. Liz Cambage didn't stick around for the WNBA, but lots of solid to great players. Courtney Vandersloot has really improved and justified the Chicago pick. I'm shocked that Kayla Pedersen did not turn out to be a better pro. I thought she would thrive as a pro (as like the 4th/5th option). Amber Harris as well.

2012 is really just Nneka and Glory Johnson with a few solid players (remember EDD was the #1 HS recruit in this class but due to RS is in the 2013).

2013 looks great. EDD is MVP. Griner has the ability to be a future MVP. Diggins has shown flashes of brilliance (injuries slowed her down). Tayler Hill seems to have turned the corner. Kelsey Bone and Alex Bentley were all stars, and of course there was an 19 year old Emma Meesseman drafted in the 2nd round who has flourished into a legit all-star in Washington.

2014 looks solid. Good depth with some potential multiple all-stars. Chiney had an all-star rookie campaign and after injuries, seem to be rounding into form. Sims is excellent, as is McBride. I think Chiney, Sims and McBride are perennial allstar type of players. Then you have players like Dolson, Thomas, Hartley, Achonwa capable of having good years (Dolson was an all-star last year). You also have players like Gray, Howard, Schimmel who are/could be solid players. If Schimmel took her fitness more seriously (we've seen what she can do when she in good shape), she would be a fringe all-star IMO.

2015 is pretty weak outside of Loyd and Stokes, but its very early to tell. Elizabeth Williams has shown great improvement and I believe she leads the league in blocks. KML is improving as well. Definitely some solid players, but outside of Loyd, not sure if there is a perennial all-star.

2016 has Stewie. Moriah looks great as well. It has VERY good depth, I think.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

2001 was special. LJ and Catch were Super Stars, lots of players who were multiple All-Stars, All-WNBA like Deanna Nolan, Penny Taylor, Katie Douglas, Ruth Riley, Marie Ferdinand (she was great pre-pregnancy), and then you also had Jackie Stiles whos career was cut short by injuries (she was an all-star her rookie year). Also in that class were people like the Miller sisters (especially Kelly), Svet, Tammy Sutton Brown who had solid careers as starters in the W.

2004 had DT of course. Whalen also had a great career (multiple Olympian, finished number 2 in MVP in 08 and Top 5 another year), and players like Beard, Brunson, Powell, Perkins who were All-Stars.

2008 was suppose to be this AMAZING draft class with Parker, Fowles, Wiggins, etc. Wiggins looked great her first year and a half, then after injuries, lost her speed and was never the same. Hornbuckle, Anosike and Houston looked great the first 2 or 3 years. Langhorne is/was an All-Star and made 2nd team WNBA one year, I believe. Carson had a solid career, but I think people like Laura Harper, Tasha Humphreys, LaToya Pringle, Matee Ajavon have had disappointing careers.

The funny thing about the 2009 class, was that as freshmens and sophomore's, there was a lot of hype, particularly with Kristi Toliver, Marissa Coleman, Courtney Paris. Angel didn't really come on until her Jr year. It actually has decent depth in the first round, Renee, DeWanna Bonner, Brianne January, Kia Vaughn, Shavonte Zelleous and the 3 previously mentioned. Only Angel really is a star.

I had high hopes for the 2011 class. Maya obviously. Liz Cambage didn't stick around for the WNBA, but lots of solid to great players. Courtney Vandersloot has really improved and justified the Chicago pick. I'm shocked that Kayla Pedersen did not turn out to be a better pro. I thought she would thrive as a pro (as like the 4th/5th option). Amber Harris as well.

2012 is really just Nneka and Glory Johnson with a few solid players (remember EDD was the #1 HS recruit in this class but due to RS is in the 2013).

2013 looks great. EDD is MVP. Griner has the ability to be a future MVP. Diggins has shown flashes of brilliance (injuries slowed her down). Tayler Hill seems to have turned the corner. Kelsey Bone and Alex Bentley were all stars, and of course there was an 19 year old Emma Meesseman drafted in the 2nd round who has flourished into a legit all-star in Washington.

2014 looks solid. Good depth with some potential multiple all-stars. Chiney had an all-star rookie campaign and after injuries, seem to be rounding into form. Sims is excellent, as is McBride. I think Chiney, Sims and McBride are perennial allstar type of players. Then you have players like Dolson, Thomas, Hartley, Achonwa capable of having good years (Dolson was an all-star last year). You also have players like Gray, Howard, Schimmel who are/could be solid players. If Schimmel took her fitness more seriously (we've seen what she can do when she in good shape), she would be a fringe all-star IMO.

2015 is pretty weak outside of Loyd and Stokes, but its very early to tell. Elizabeth Williams has shown great improvement and I believe she leads the league in blocks. KML is improving as well. Definitely some solid players, but outside of Loyd, not sure if there is a perennial all-star.

Say what ?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes I forget Parker. She is excellent in 2008.
In 2008, Candace Parker became the first player to earn WNBA MVP and Rookie of the Year in the sameseason

If you look at Parker's rookie year stats, it's almost uncanny how similar they are to Stewie's current stats.
  • Parker in 2008, per game: 18.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.3 blocks
  • Stewie in 2016, per game: 19.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.2 blocks
There must not have been much competition for MVP in 2008.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Look up the rookie class in 1999 when the ABL disbanded.and then look at 2001! THis isn't even fifth best. I think the rookie class of 2008 and 2014 are better.

I wouldn't count the WNBA's inaugural season or the first post-ABL season. When I say "rookie class," I mean first-year professionals.

Reaction Score

Wow... you know so much like a dictionary.

Reaction Score
If you look at Parker's rookie year stats, it's almost uncanny how similar they are to Stewie's current stats.
  • Parker in 2008, per game: 18.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.3 blocks
  • Stewie in 2016, per game: 19.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.2 blocks
There must not have been much competition for MVP in 2008.
Yes, there are no Maya, Tina in 2008.
That is why I am not hoping Stewie to win MVP this year.

Reaction Score
Wow... you know so much like a dictionary.
Huge WBall fan/WNBA. All I did was quickly glance at the draft boards via Wiki. Hehe.

I think Stewert will finish #5 or so in the MVP voting behind Nneka, Tina, Maya and Parker. Depending on Chicago's record, I could see EDD finishing ahead of her. If LA ends up at like say 29-5 or 30-4, I think it goes to Nneka Ogwumike this year. Her numbers are great and her shooting numbers are insane (she's shooting 71% from the field, over 50% from 3pt..granted only about 12-13 attempts and over 80% FT). If LA slips to #2 behind Minnesota, I think Maya has a great chance. I actually think Tina Charles is the most "valuable" player to her team on a "winning" team, however, if LA or Minnesota finishes with a great record like 29-5, 30-4, etc, I cant see voters giving it to Tina where NY might be a 8-10 loss team.

Reaction Score
MVP generally goes to a member of a winning team. Candace Parker, would, for example, be a leading candidate this year.

If the season were to end today, I would speculate that Parker would be somewhere around 5th in the voting, behind Tina and Nneka (in no particular order), and also Maya and EDD (in no particular order). EDD is not on a winning team, but it's hard to shunt her aside simply because she is EDD.

But in the end, I'd choose between Tina and Nneka. Parker is on the best team, and was the principal contributor to a few of their closer wins, but I think Nneka has the greater 'value' on that team so far (I do draw a distinction between "best" and "most valuable," in certain cases).

Reaction Score
If the season were to end today, I would speculate that Parker would be somewhere around 5th in the voting, behind Tina and Nneka (in no particular order), and also Maya and EDD (in no particular order). EDD is not on a winning team, but it's hard to shunt her aside simply because she is EDD.

But in the end, I'd choose between Tina and Nneka. Parker is on the best team, and was the principal contributor to a few of their closer wins, but I think Nneka has the greater 'value' on that team so far (I do draw a distinction between "best" and "most valuable," in certain cases).
I will chose Tina..

Reaction Score
Yes, there are no Maya, Tina in 2008.
That is why I am not hoping Stewie to win MVP this year.

Maya and Tina were both in the league the year Candace won her 2nd MVP.

Even though Seattle still has a chance of making the playoffs because the teams in the middle beating up on each other, Stewie probably won't win MVP this year.

Reaction Score
I haven't always followed the WNBA closely, but I'm wondering if there's ever been a more productive rookie class than this season's. It seems that hardly a game goes by without at least one rookie leaving a heavy imprint.
  • Stewie, the presumptive ROY, is averaging 19 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game (ranking 5th, 2nd, and 3rd in the league, respectively).
  • Moriah is averaging 12 points and 4 assists per game.
  • Tiffany Mitchell is averaging 11 points in only 23 minutes per game.
  • Aerial Powers is averaging 10 points in only 18 mpg.
  • Tuck is averaging 7 points and 3 rebounds in only 17 mpg.
  • Imani Boyette: 7 points and 6 rebounds in 19 mpg.
  • Kahleah Copper: 6 points and 3 rebounds in 17 mpg.
  • Jonquel Jones: 5 points and 3 rebounds in 12 mpg.
  • Bria Holmes: 5 points in 17 mpg (was just promoted to starter to replace the injured Sancho Lyttle; was outstanding in the win over LA).
  • Courtney Williams (in 8 games with the Sun): 7 points in only 14 mpg.
I wish there was an easy way to compare the collective stats of this year's rookie class to those of previous years. (Any stat-crunchers out there?)

what about the 2002 class?

Reaction Score
MVP generally goes to a member of a winning team. Candace Parker, would, for example, be a leading candidate this year.
Maya and Tina were both in the league the year Candace won her 2nd MVP.

Even though Seattle still has a chance of making the playoffs because the teams in the middle beating up on each other, Stewie probably won't win MVP this year.

Maya could have very easily won the MVP that year too...media loves Candace...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
WNBA all-rookie teams going back to '05, pick your favorite - WNBA.com: All-Rookie Teams

On paper, Nneka is the MVP going away this year. Her efficiency is mind-boggling. She is crushing the competition in the advanced stats.

From Basketball Reference -

Player Efficiency Rating

1. Nneka Ogwumike-LAS 32.3
2. Maya Moore-MIN 25.8
3. Elena Delle Donne-CHI 24.9
4. Breanna Stewart-SEA 24.8
5. Tina Charles-NYL 24.5
6. Tamika Catchings-IND 23.1
7. Emma Meesseman-WAS 23.0
8. Penny Taylor-PHO 21.8
9. Candace Parker-LAS 21.7
10. Sylvia Fowles-MIN 21.5

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My MVP ranking as of today:

Nneka
Tina
Maya
Stewie
EDD
Candace

I wonder if Nneka and Candace might split the "LA vote," which could allow someone else to slip in?

Reaction Score
last thought on the MVP race everyone get what you can this year and next because after that it will belong to Stewie...she already does things that no other big can do...like Geno said last night when she quits being so unselfish and she gets stronger and puts on some weight she will have astronomical numbers...i think that KML is making her move and when she can start, they can trade Loyd for another quality big...Like Steph, someone that can score and rebound and they will be set...the first good point guard free agent will come running to Seattle to throw the ball to Stewie and KML and lead the league in assists...not meant to offend anyone just my opinion

Reaction Score
last thought on the MVP race everyone get what you can this year and next because after that it will belong to Stewie...she already does things that no other big can do...like Geno said last night when she quits being so unselfish and she gets stronger and puts on some weight she will have astronomical numbers...i think that KML is making her move and when she can start, they can trade Loyd for another quality big...Like Steph, someone that can score and rebound and they will be set...the first good point guard free agent will come running to Seattle to throw the ball to Stewie and KML and lead the league in assists...not meant to offend anyone just my opinion
I think from next year it will be all Stewie ....

Reaction Score
My MVP ranking as of today:

Nneka
Tina
Maya
Stewie
EDD
Candace

I wonder if Nneka and Candace might split the "LA vote," which could allow someone else to slip in?
I like the order you have but i would put Tina ahead became what she brings to that team and how each year shes step her game up olus always consistent she battles night in and night out. Nneka sure has been playing great but she has Candace on her team and great shooters around her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom