Best Ice Cream in Connecticut | The Boneyard

Best Ice Cream in Connecticut

Reaction Score
Would the consensus be the Dairy Bar right on campus? Or is there another candidate that trumps it?

Personally, growing up, I loved Shady Glen's with the chocolate chips or cookies'n'cream crushed into a million pieces, but not sure if I'm just overrating them based on it being a comfort food of my youth. Frankly, I also loved the Dairy Queen in Willimantic growing up.

Pretty soon we'll have the food threads covered, and can move on to the best place in Connecticut to get personalized stationary.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dairy Bar is a favorite for obvious reasons, and it is damn good.

Ashley's otherwise imo, with others of note including Wentworth's in Hamden (especially fresh peach in summer) and Sweet Claude's in Cheshire.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The dairy bar is good no doubt, but...

Halo in Princeton, NJ (all-time) strawberry amaretto, .

Praline's in various CT locations is pretty good too.

There is also a place in Bethel whose name escapes me.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Curiouser
Reaction Score
On a related note, why so little gelato in CT (and in the states generally)? I prefer it to ice cream, and in Italy you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a half-dozen gelato shops. Can't figure why it's not more prevalent here.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Dr. Mike's in Bethel is supposed to be the standard, according to roadfood.com. It is very good.

Reaction Score
On a related note, why so little gelato in CT (and in the states generally)? I prefer it to ice cream, and in Italy you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a half-dozen gelato shops. Can't figure why it's not more prevalent here.

I've seen it more in recent years - even in unexpected locales like the Penn Station food court. I'd say it's starting to catch on here, but that's what they've been saying about soccer since the 70's, too.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I've spent a lot of time eating ice cream in Connecticut. My favorites are as follows:

1. Rich Farm - Oxford
2. Claude's - Cheshire
3. Wentworth's (literally right down the road from Claude's) - Hamden

Rich Farm is light-years above the rest. Without a doubt.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ferris Farms in Bethel is an addition. You can get Dr. Mike's on Rt 25 in Monroe as well.

Bonus question: Anyone know of anyplace that makes UNsweetened coffee ice cream (like for those who take coffee w/o any sweetener). Is it possible to make it that way, or is sugar needed? Just askin'

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Ferris Farms in Bethel is an addition. You can get Dr. Mike's on Rt 25 in Monroe as well.

Bonus question: Anyone know of anyplace that makes UNsweetened coffee ice cream (like for those who take coffee w/o any sweetener). Is it possible to make it that way, or is sugar needed? Just askin'

Pretty soon you will ask if there is anyone who makes black ice cream coffee.

Reaction Score
Dr. Mike's in Bethel is supposed to be the standard, according to roadfood.com. It is very good.

I have a quart of Mikes (Bethel) in my freezer along with their fudge. Makes a fine homemade Sundae. Using it to bribe my daughter into a fast training run tomorrow. They're also in Monroe on RT 25. It's quality over variety if that's what you're into. I'll have to try the others before I can compare. Let's just say worth a short detour if nearby. Never been to a strip club not sure if I know what one is.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Am I the only fan of the Peanut Buster Parfait at DQ?
I'm a fan of the peanut buster bar, it's a frozen parfait on a stick, dipped in chocolate.

Reaction Score

Because it is really hard to make.

We have 2 places here in Buff. They try, and it is good, but too many things can go wrong, and they do.

Reaction Score

There actually used to be diabetic ice cream years ago distributed by Sealtest (which got bought out by Hood). The available flavors were vanilla, chocolate, & coffee. Haven't seen it around for years.

Reaction Score
My nominees for best ice cream in state
1 Rich Farms
2.Wentworths-(they would occupy the top spot, but when the original owners sold the business, the new owners discontinued my favorite flavor: Bourbon Macaroon)
3. UConn Dairy Bar
4. Pralines
5. Sweet Claudes
5. Cold Stone Creamery

I still miss the lamented dairy bar of my youth: Maple Shade Dairy in Guilford.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wow am I just sheltered that I love the Chocolate Caramel Crunch from Shady Glen? Also a big shout out to the Royalwich made by Royal Ice Cream in Manchester. I need to branch out.

Reaction Score
J. Foster's in Avon and Simsbury. BTW the owner was taught how to make ice cream by Wentworth's. And he's got gelato, too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the peanut buster bar, it's a frozen parfait on a stick, dipped in chocolate.
I haven't had one in decades but they were great, far to superior to the "Dilly bar". If not the Buster Bar, then I'd go with the Mister Misty.

Reaction Score

small spoons...Tommy no likee...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom