Best Female Athlete: Which Of These 4? | The Boneyard

Best Female Athlete: Which Of These 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'll vote what you are asking except for the record breaking performance - I think I'll go for Stephen Curry in that one.

Geno should be a lock for "best coach", I'm sure the others are all good coaches, but c'mon.

The other categories - well, as I said I'm voting the "UConn way", but I always think that there are devoted fan bases of other sports out there that could upend things.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I voted for Breanna but, really, Katie Ledecky seems like the best athlete. She holds three world records and is the current world champion in four distances. Breanna is very, very good but I wouldn't call her the best in her sport or the best power forward.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I voted for Breanna but, really, Katie Ledecky seems like the best athlete. She holds three world records and is the current world champion in four distances. Breanna is very, very good but I wouldn't call her the best in her sport or the best power forward.

Of the four choices, I would pick Biles

At the 2015 World Championships, she won gold medals for team, all-around, balance beam, and floor exercise, while taking a bronze in the vault.

Biles is the first woman to win three consecutive world all-around titles (2013, 2014, and 2015). She has also won three consecutive gold medals in the floor exercise and two consecutive gold medals in the balance beam.

In three world championship appearances, she is the most decorated American female gymnast in history with 14 medals (10 of which are gold). She also holds the record for most gold medals won by a female gymnast in the history of the World Championships

World Championship History
2013 GOLD: All-Around, Floor Exercise, Team
2013 SILVER: Vault
2013 BRONZE: Balance Beam
2014 GOLD: Team, All-Around, Balance Beam, Floor Exercise
2014 SILVER: Vault
2015 GOLD: Team, All-Around, Balance Beam, Floor Exercise
2015 BRONZE: Vault

In her 14 competitions as a senior gymnast, she was won the all-around title 12 times (she was runner-up the other two). She has not lost an all-around competition since August 2013, when she finished second.

Reaction Score
What Katie did at the last Olympics (age 15 I believe) was jaw dropping. Soundly defeated the reigning champ, who was in awe at how KL won. Not even Michael Phelps (the most decorated olympian) in his first Olympics came close to a medal at age 15.

What Katie is poised to accomplish in this coming Olympics is even more spectacular. BS and EDD are really really good, but not crushingly dominant like KL has been. Plus she's a great kid going to Stanford in the fall.

Reaction Score
Tough call, but I would go with Stewart. She was dominant and best player in her sport and that is COLLEGE basketball. Not fair to compare against the pros which she didnt play against in the last year.

Ledecky is great, but it will be even more magnified after this years olympics. She will be athlete of the year NEXT year.

Biles is also great, but as with Ledecky all accomplishments are always measured by what you do in the Olympics. She is absolutely favorite to bring Team USA Gold and the Individual all around.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Tough call, but I would go with Stewart. She was dominant and best player in her sport and that is COLLEGE basketball. Not fair to compare against the pros which she didnt play against in the last year.

My only quibble with this is that Ledecky dominated a level of competition above where Breanna is and did it at a younger age. It would be as if Breanna went straight to the WNBA out of high school and was All-WNBA 1st team.

Reaction Score
Same here, wonder if it's broken. Funny, because that's the one category I was actually trying to vote for UConn in!
I notified the site. Just went back and it worked this time!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Biles without question. Have you seen that kid? She is unreal. She is dominating at a level never seen before - she's like Serena Williams. But better. I mean she is so far and away the best gymnast in the world (and probably of all time) that the other gymnasts say that winning the silver is the "true gold" since Simone has that locked up. Ha!

Reaction Score
Biles without question. Have you seen that kid? She is unreal. She is dominating at a level never seen before - she's like Serena Williams. But better. I mean she is so far and away the best gymnast in the world (and probably of all time) that the other gymnasts say that winning the silver is the "true gold" since Simone has that locked up. Ha!
Is Biles as good as Nadia Comăneci?

nadia_comaneci_3.jpg

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
She's much, much better. Although to be fair, it's basically a different sport now. But she is dominating at a level never before seen.

Reaction Score
It's a shame the ESPY's are decided by a fan vote. I remember in the early days they had a special panel of industry and sports experts voting. That's how our 1995 team won the Team of the Year award. They'd never win today. When it got turned into a popularity contest the winners are all from NFL and NBA and whoever is the trendy thing of the moment (Michael Phelps, tennis, golf, USA women's soccer, MMA.) Far more impressive nominees from baseball, hockey, and women's basketball regularly lose categories they should win because of this. I remember our 90 game win streak lost out to a long tennis match. And Mariano Rivera's save record breaking performance lost out to something from the NFL or NBA that was no where near as impressive.

Quite frankly, looking at the nominees, Geno deserves to win both his categories but I doubt he does.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ALSO:

To vote for Stewie as best female college athlete go HERE

To vote for UConn Women as best team go HERE

To vote for Geno as best record breaking performance go HERE

To vote for Geno as best coach go HERE

PS: How many ways are there to acceptably spell athlete? Head bang
That-Was-Easy-Button.png

Thanks Java!

Reaction Score
My only quibble with this is that Ledecky dominated a level of competition above where Breanna is and did it at a younger age. It would be as if Breanna went straight to the WNBA out of high school and was All-WNBA 1st team.

I am not disagreeing with you or any of the other folks who votes for Biles or Ledecky. Right or Wrong, athleteds from sports like Swimming, Gymanastics, Track&Field are judged on how they do in the Olympics. I think this time next year, both these ladies will be favorites to win the award.

Not this year.

Reaction Score
It's a shame the ESPY's are decided by a fan vote. I remember in the early days they had a special panel of industry and sports experts voting. That's how our 1995 team won the Team of the Year award. They'd never win today. When it got turned into a popularity contest the winners are all from NFL and NBA and whoever is the trendy thing of the moment (Michael Phelps, tennis, golf, USA women's soccer, MMA.) Far more impressive nominees from baseball, hockey, and women's basketball regularly lose categories they should win because of this. I remember our 90 game win streak lost out to a long tennis match. And Mariano Rivera's save record breaking performance lost out to something from the NFL or NBA that was no where near as impressive.

Quite frankly, looking at the nominees, Geno deserves to win both his categories but I doubt he does.

Popularity votes are nice if you win--but if you don't you know it's all about numbers not abilities, talent, exceptional athletism.
I have a BISWEET37626

Wally East

Reaction Score
I am not disagreeing with you or any of the other folks who votes for Biles or Ledecky. Right or Wrong, athleteds from sports like Swimming, Gymanastics, Track&Field are judged on how they do in the Olympics. I think this time next year, both these ladies will be favorites to win the award.

Not this year.

Well, one doesn't have to do that. :)

Swimmers, gymnasts, and runners exist and compete in the other three years. There are world championships in the non-Olympic years where the competition is just as tough. For example, the World Championships, and not the Olympics, is where Usain Bolt recorded his fastest times in the 100 meters and the 200 meters.

Reaction Score
Saw Simone Biles last night. WOW.
There are a number of sports in which the Oympics are not the toughest competition. The Olympics puts some added conditions in so that they can have representation from as many countries as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom