Best Defensive Player? | The Boneyard

Best Defensive Player?

Reaction Score
SNY teased the next Geno show with him talking about the best defensive player at UConn. Who did he choose? Guesses? Has he said this before?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Probably this player:

1982-1205-Lawrence-Taylor-Dave-Casper-079000329.jpg

Reaction Score
I believe he was talking about best in UConn history.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I remember a few years ago Geno called Kelly the best defender (maybe best defensive guard) since Jen Rizzotti.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Swin Cash and Maya Moore were both superior wing defenders to Nykesha....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
How quickly they forget! Sales has 100 more steals than the player in second place! (94 actually over Moriah, but that is 27% more or the equivalent of an extra senior season for Moriah who was no slouch!)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My memory, the UCONN record book, and Geno would vehemently disagree with you. Nykesha holds the UCONN record for steals by almost 100 steals.

Reaction Score
SNY teased the next Geno show with him talking about the best defensive player at UConn. Who did he choose? Guesses? Has he said this before?
Lawlor!! Second best Gabby.

Reaction Score
If we set aside TLawlor, who is so quick to bring the eraser when Geno wants to draw up a defensive play, gotta be Kia or Gabby....

I see you and I believe SNY was talking current--had they been talking overall--they may have mentioned in Uconn History.. I picked TLaw and then Gabby--Kia if you count the bodies!!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
My memory, the UCONN record book, and Geno would vehemently disagree with you. Nykesha holds the UCONN record for steals by almost 100 steals.
So steals are the only measure of great defense? Faris is considered a great defensive player, but she didn't get a ton of steals. As I said if I'm looking for a wing defender I'll take Maya or Swin any day... BTW, tOSU's steals leader is Kelsey Mitchell, I'm pretty sure no one considers her a great defender....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So steals are the only measure of great defense? Faris is considered a great defensive player, but she didn't get a ton of steals. As I said if I'm looking for a wing defender I'll take Maya or Swin any day... BTW, tOSU's steals leader is Kelsey Mitchell, I'm pretty sure no one considers her a great defender....
tOSU is not UCONN! It's not just that Nykesha was the steals leader it is that she was the steals leader by such a significant margin in a program that actually knows how to play defense. tOSU does not play defense by your own admission & please don't make me pull up your quote on this subject.

Reaction Score
Never knew MM and SC were known for their defensive prowess. Did they get any consideration for any defensive honors. Never ever heard Geno mention either of their names in the same sentence with great defense. Whereas he has praised GW and KF openly about their defense.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
LOL, pound for pound Mariah Jefferson is the best one-on-one defender in UConn history to date.. Young lady shadows and denies her opponent to even catch / touch the ball like a boss.. with Kiah Stokes, Kelly Farris, Nakesha Sales, and even Gabby as honorable mention.. But don't be fooled, UCONN best defense is TEAM Defense.. So many others could be mentioned as well..

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
tOSU is not UCONN! It's not just that Nykesha was the steals leader it is that she was the steals leader by such a significant margin in a program that actually knows how to play defense. tOSU does not play defense by your own admission & please don't make me pull up your quote on this subject.
I used the quote of the person to make a point and you made the exact same point. Steals aren't an indicator of great defense, hence the example of Kelsey Mitchell, who isn't a great defensive player, yet leads her team in steals.

Reaction Score
LOL, pound for pound Mariah Jefferson is the best one-on-one defender in UConn history to date.. Young lady shadows and denies her opponent to even catch / touch the ball like a boss.. with Kiah Stokes, Kelly Farris, Nakesha Sales, and even Gabby as honorable mention.. But don't be fooled, UCONN best defense is TEAM Defense.. So many others could be mentioned as well..
Moriah could only guard guards. GW can guard 1-5, in most cases.

Reaction Score
I am curious why so many folks are leaving off Stewie... Kiah was the best shot blocker but Stewie was much more. Include steals, defensive rebounds, covering interior and exterior.... anyone recall the 3 block play?

Reaction Score
Never knew MM and SC were known for their defensive prowess. Did they get any consideration for any defensive honors. Never ever heard Geno mention either of their names in the same sentence with great defense. Whereas he has praised GW and KF openly about their defense.

I thought Geno mentioned Maya as a great disrupter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom