Besides Durr, best PG options for 2015-16 | The Boneyard

Besides Durr, best PG options for 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO Durr is more a shooting guard (2) than a PG at least from what we saw form the U17. She will be a great pickup for Geno and UConn is she decides to come to Championship Central

Reaction Score
Got to get Durr, she is head of that class. Ogunbowale has ruled Uconn out.
Why does UConn "got to get" Durr? They have Jefferson for the next 2 years and either Nurse/Williams/Edwards for the next 2. I realize Durr is a hell of a player and I would be ecstatic if she were to go to UConn but point guard is not a position of need.

U

UCONNfan1

Why does UConn "got to get" Durr? They have Jefferson for the next 2 years and either Nurse/Williams/Edwards for the next 2. I realize Durr is a hell of a player and I would be ecstatic if she were to go to UConn but point guard is not a position of need.
Disagree a tad. If you are talking pure PG, Jefferson is it. Edwards and Nurse are converted 2's and now they are combo guards, although I think both currently play a majority of time at the 1.

I see your point, but it reminds me of Doty and Hayes - both could be on the court together with no "pure" PG, but I much prefer having Jefferson run the show as a pure and amazing PG. Dangerfield seems to be a similar player and floor general. I'm not saying Edwards and/or Nurse can't be similar, but I see Nurse more similar to Taurasi and Edwards maybe more like Montgomery.

Meh now that I think about it maybe you are right. It's not so much positional needs, I guess, it's more about which players do we want and which ones are a great fit for UCONN...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Asia Durr may be a "must get," but not necessarily as a PG. She's truly a combo guard. She's a "must get" because she is really good--per Geno, the best guard in several years (since Dee?).

If Asia goes elsewhere, our PG will be MoJeff--the best in the nation--then Kia Nurse and/or someone else. I'm hoping for Dangerfield. She is so much like Moriah.

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse the point guard for Canada's National Team. Size and skill all in one player.

Reaction Score
Durr is definitely not a "must get" but she is considered by many to be a "best in a decade" type player, the type that doesn't come around very often. As a result, you could understand where a lot of people are coming from. If we hadn't got Samuelson, we'd do okay because we've got a lot of other talented players and Geno seems to always find a way to adopt to his players and find a path to excellence but how many Boneyarders have been ecstatic since her commitment. When you have a chance to get that exceptional player, why wouldn't you want her. The Tina's and Maya's and Diana's along with Breanna's that have elevated UConn to extraordinary heights. Our teams over those eras would have still been really good teams because of Geno and some highly skilled players but would we have achieved what we did without the above names players???? Probably not and as a result, when you have a chance for a player of that caliber, you go for it, don't you????? I say YES!

Reaction Score
Durr is great..... I saw her and was amazed at her ability to create on the court......

Having said that, I don't think there is any substitute for a pure PG..... the engine that makes everything else work.....

I hope we get Durr AND Dangerfield

Reaction Score
If Durr is the next Maya, a player who puts you over the top as far as winning titles then I want her. Geno will figure out the best way for her to become the best player she can be, and that will lead to Uconn being successful. That is why Geno is the coach he is and Uconn is the program it is! If Durr seeks greatness than she plays for Geno.

Reaction Score
Having said that, I don't think there is any substitute for a pure PG..... the engine that makes everything else work.....

I find it strange when I see UConn fans talk about needing a pure point guard because the point guards that have had the most success at UConn have not been close to pure, whether it was Rizzotti, Montgomery, or even Bird. And the skill set Geno looks for in his potential point guards is not the traditional definition of a pure point guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom