Benedict's qualifications for his HC hire | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Benedict's qualifications for his HC hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Edsall actually hired Moorehead and put the handcuffs on his offense
Absolutely right. I sat next to Moorhead's Uncle at the UConn v Pitt game and he raved about how "Joey is a mad scientist --with lots of unbelievably creative plays on his laptop--just wait till you see his 2 minute drill--it's amazing." Then we got the ball on our 15 yd line with 1:39 left in the first half, leading 7-3.
CONNECTICUT drive starts at 01:39.
1st-10 at UConn 15---TODMAN, Jordan rush for 8 yards to the UConn 23, out-of-bounds.
2nd-2 at UConn 23---TODMAN, Jordan rush for 2 yards to the UConn 25.
1st-10 at UConn 25---ENDRES, Cody pass complete to MOORE, Isiah for 5 yards to the UConn 30.
2nd-5 at UConn 30---TODMAN, Jordan rush for loss of 1 yard to the UConn 29).
End of half, clock 00:00.
The Uncle became livid saying "Damn Edsall has tied his hands. He doesn't deserve him. Joe's a Pittsburgh guy, he should be here at Pitt". UConn lost 24-21.

Reaction Score
Absolutely right. I sat next to Moorhead's Uncle at the UConn v Pitt game and he raved about how "Joey is a mad scientist --with lots of unbelievably creative plays on his laptop--just wait till you see his 2 minute drill--it's amazing." Then we got the ball on our 15 yd line with 1:39 left in the first half, leading 7-3.
CONNECTICUT drive starts at 01:39.
1st-10 at UConn 15---TODMAN, Jordan rush for 8 yards to the UConn 23, out-of-bounds.
2nd-2 at UConn 23---TODMAN, Jordan rush for 2 yards to the UConn 25.
1st-10 at UConn 25---ENDRES, Cody pass complete to MOORE, Isiah for 5 yards to the UConn 30.
2nd-5 at UConn 30---TODMAN, Jordan rush for loss of 1 yard to the UConn 29).
End of half, clock 00:00.
The Uncle became livid saying "Damn Edsall has tied his hands. He doesn't deserve him. Joe's a Pittsburgh guy, he should be here at Pitt". UConn lost 24-21.

Some of you guys are too much. In a 7-3 college game, winning, and getting the ball on your own 15 with under 2 minutes left, running out the clock is the high percentage play. The Patriots -- or even the Giants -- are not the model for college ball.

Reaction Score
I don't care how many mea culpas Randy gives. No way do I want or think he would be a good choice. True he did build a nice program but his offense was severely lacking and his bend but don't break defense was not good. Many if not most of us were happy to see him go. But the way he left was not palatable. I remember during his last season I was saying that it was time for a new coach. He had brought us about as far as he could take us. A good job but nevertheless we were not taking the next step with him as coach. Please stop bringing him us a a replacement for Diaco!!!!

If ever a post reflected the Boneyard and the lunacy of a fan base, here it is. You wanted him gone, but you can't forgive him for leaving. Yes, because most of us in jobs try to wait until after we are told to leave to protect our future.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I don't care how many mea culpas Randy gives. No way do I want or think he would be a good choice. True he did build a nice program but his offense was severely lacking and his bend but don't break defense was not good. Many if not most of us were happy to see him go. But the way he left was not palatable. I remember during his last season I was saying that it was time for a new coach. He had brought us about as far as he could take us. A good job but nevertheless we were not taking the next step with him as coach. Please stop bringing him us a a replacement for Diaco!!!!
You're right he did take us as far as he could and we saw why in the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma. There was a HUGE difference between the athleticism of Oklahoma's skill players and ours. Their wide receivers, defensive backs and defensive ends were so much faster than our equivalents and it was easy to see on TV. It wasn't Edsall's fault. You can't coach speed.

Reaction Score
If ever a post reflected the Boneyard and the lunacy of a fan base, here it is. You wanted him gone, but you can't forgive him for leaving. Yes, because most of us in jobs try to wait until after we are told to leave to protect our future.

Never said I couldn't forgive him for leaving. I apologize if that's the message you got. What I was trying to say was that he left in a very classless manner. I'm not upset that he left. I would never want him back, not because I can't forgive him, or because of the manner in which he left, but because he was and is not the coach we need.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are too much. In a 7-3 college game, winning, and getting the ball on your own 15 with under 2 minutes left, running out the clock is the high percentage play.
I didn't say I was upset. We were getting the kickoff to start the second half. What Edsall did was perfectly reasonable. But Moorhead's Uncle was clearly upset. He talked about how Edsall tied his hands--and not just during that drive. It's the same complaint Tyler Lorenzen made when I asked him how he felt about Ambrose calling so many conservative plays. His response? "It's not Ambrose". You can argue whether that level of offensive control allowed us to compete during Edsall's tenure, but if its high octane offense you're looking for, Edsall (or his ilk) is not the guy you want in charge.

Reaction Score
This is what he started to Joe D just now:
Program builder, need someone with experience who can build the recruits he brings in, great talent evaluator, needs to be able to put together a great staff, having "good successful HC experience is a good gauge for future success"
Diaco was lacking in a few of those items. I believe we definitely have to win with talent we currently have. Just need a guy that can tap into it. Put a system in place to maximize their strong suits. No way did that happen in 2016. We were ilprepared as the season progressed.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall pushed the program as far as he could recruiting wise and he saw the handwriting on the wall. Maryland most likely put a bug in his ear about being invited to the B1G and he jumped at that chance. It didn't work out for him in Maryland so why would you want him back here? Do you think he's going to be able to recruit P-5 talent being known as a marginal coach in the crumbling Big East and a losing coach in the P-5? Whoever does take the reigns has to be able to put together a staff that can recruit a higher caliber player than Edsall,P or Diaco. This next coach has to build a program attractive to the P-5 conferences similar to what Houston has done the last few years. UConn has to be the next team out of the AAC. Edsall is a retread at this point. Weist is a unknown and UConn can't afford another unknown. The next guy has to be a proven home run hitter able to capture the imagination of fan and high school recruit alike.

Reaction Score
Diaco was lacking in a few of those items. I believe we definitely have to win with talent we currently have. Just need a guy that can tap into it. Put a system in place to maximize their strong suits. No way did that happen in 2016. We were ilprepared as the season progressed.

Or the team just quit on the coach.

Reaction Score
How about Skip Holtz? Program builder with high scoring offense. Always liked him and thought he did a good job at UCONN. Bring him back if Moorhead is out.

Did a good job at UConn for that time. But NOT for now!!! Please NO!!!! For the love of God , NO, NO, NO!!!

Reaction Score
Did a good job at UConn for that time. But NOT for now!!! Please NO!!!! For the love of God , NO, NO, NO!!!

Curious as to why - Have you seen his offenses over he past few years? Puts Uconn's to shame.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall pushed the program as far as he could recruiting wise and he saw the handwriting on the wall. Maryland most likely put a bug in his ear about being invited to the B1G and he jumped at that chance. It didn't work out for him in Maryland so why would you want him back here?

Exactly, why? We wouldn't be getting the young, hungry guy that built the program. We'd be getting the has-been.

Reaction Score
If he hired Randy, I would throw away my laptop and go back to a flip phone. I couldn't bare to come here anymore. I just, just....couldn't.:rolleyes:

Nah. It would be would be not only a safe hire, but a bit of a splash as well. I can't really imagine him coming here and not being successful. I hate his play it safe mentality but but we could do so much worse.

The we left had to do with Hathaway.

Reaction Score
And he could still out-coach Diaco

pun1.jpg

Reaction Score
Curious as to why - Have you seen his offenses over he past few years? Puts Uconn's to shame.

You are correct. He has done a good job a LaTech. But I believe we need a nationally well known name to draw recruits to UConn. Although I respect what he did during his time at UConn I don't want to go back with any previous coach. (Except Moorehead, but that's not going to happen) I'm hoping for something better. Someone with more pizazz, flair and national relevancy in order to bring in recruits and make as quick a turnaround as possible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some of you guys are too much. In a 7-3 college game, winning, and getting the ball on your own 15 with under 2 minutes left, running out the clock is the high percentage play. The Patriots -- or even the Giants -- are not the model for college ball.

The Patriots always run out the clock in that scenario. Always. Belichick plays the percentages. They are also a top ten rushing yards team, and currently lead the league in scoring defense.

In case nobody noticed, running the ball is back at the NFL level. Cowboys, Patriots, Oakland, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, are all in the top ten. Pittsburgh is 11 and was held back by Bell's injury.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think our best bet on recruiting scheme is to try to emulate Wisconsin. Find 7-8 big uglies that can grade the road, a QB that can be accurate when necessary and a defense that can cause turnovers.

I don't see anyway we get enough athletes to run a spread passing system. The QB that Morehead has at PSU is really good, his receivers are really good, and his running back is really good. His line could use some work but he has enough skill players to overcome it. If they get swamped by USC, that will be why.

We have yet to show that we can put all four of those pieces together at the same time. At most we've had 2 at a time. Most often we've had a dominant Oline and a really good RB. Once we had a really good QB and a good Oline. Once we had really good receviers and that didn't work at all.

I think we can consistently find/grow lineman and find RB's. I'm less optimistic we can find QB's/WR's or consistently scheme our way to wins.

Reaction Score
I think our best bet on recruiting scheme is to try to emulate Wisconsin. Find 7-8 big uglies that can grade the road, a QB that can be accurate when necessary and a defense that can cause turnovers.

I don't see anyway we get enough athletes to run a spread passing system. The QB that Morehead has at PSU is really good, his receivers are really good, and his running back is really good. His line could use some work but he has enough skill players to overcome it. If they get swamped by USC, that will be why.

We have yet to show that we can put all four of those pieces together at the same time. At most we've had 2 at a time. Most often we've had a dominant Oline and a really good RB. Once we had a really good QB and a good Oline. Once we had really good receviers and that didn't work at all.

I think we can consistently find/grow lineman and find RB's. I'm less optimistic we can find QB's/WR's or consistently scheme our way to wins.

I think its the opposite, actually. You see lower talent teams run spread offenses to mitigate their talent/size deficiencies. Only the best programs with the biggest recruiting pull can consistently run smash mouth offenses. Wisconsin is more of an outlier b/c they fall outside of the recruiting heavyweights but they have a very strong history of developing NFL lineman. And they are still pulling 3* lineman, with a 4* mixed in.

Franklin's offenses at PSU performed worse before JM took over with arguably more talent at skill positions (save Barkley).

The perfect scenario would be to have an offensive coach with a system that can be adapted towards the makeup of his roster but I'm not trying to get greedy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Defense, a solid running game and a smart, efficient passing game are still the best ticket to winning football games. Much as some would deny it, that is absolutely Saban's recipe at Alabama. Landing a great QB, even at the top P5 schools, is like catching lightning in a bottle. You simply cannot rely upon it.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I didn't say I was upset. We were getting the kickoff to start the second half. What Edsall did was perfectly reasonable. But Moorhead's Uncle was clearly upset. He talked about how Edsall tied his hands--and not just during that drive. It's the same complaint Tyler Lorenzen made when I asked him how he felt about Ambrose calling so many conservative plays. His response? "It's not Ambrose". You can argue whether that level of offensive control allowed us to compete during Edsall's tenure, but if its high octane offense you're looking for, Edsall (or his ilk) is not the guy you want in charge.
The Meineke Bowl was a perfect example. The Wake fans I was sitting next to were absolutely floored that the UConn coaching staff were
not opening it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99