Benedict hires LB State AD | The Boneyard

Benedict hires LB State AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So UConn, just an ordinary run of the mill G5 school of course (nothing to see here), is able to hire away the AD from another school, to a lower level job at UConn.

Cegles is headed to UConn, where he’s accepting a position working for his protégé, Dave Benedict, who was a senior athletic department member at Long Beach State under Cegles, sources said. Benedict was hired as athletic director at UConn in February

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So UConn, just an ordinary run of the mill G5 school of course (nothing to see here), is able to hire away the AD from another school, to a lower level job at UConn.

Cegles is headed to UConn, where he’s accepting a position working for his protégé, Dave Benedict, who was a senior athletic department member at Long Beach State under Cegles, sources said. Benedict was hired as athletic director at UConn in February

From the story:

"Cegles’ big emphasis has been on facility development and he’s overseen upgrades to nearly all of the 49ers’ facilities, as well as the acquisition of Blair Field with a lease from the city of Long Beach."

Gampel roof, on-campus hockey arena, Rentschler expansion. Obviously this means B1G here we come!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
From the story:

"Cegles’ big emphasis has been on facility development and he’s overseen upgrades to nearly all of the 49ers’ facilities, as well as the acquisition of Blair Field with a lease from the city of Long Beach."

Gampel roof, on-campus hockey arena, Rentschler expansion. Obviously this means B1G here we come!
Last night Benedict also specifically mentioned baseball, softball, and soccer facilities as needing attention as well...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Last night Benedict also specifically mentioned baseball, softball, and soccer as needing attention as well...

LB State is superb at baseball and softball. Out baseball team has won, I think 8-9 straight. If not for some early losses to weak teams they would be in great shape.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
LB State is superb at baseball and softball. Out baseball team has won, I think 8-9 straight. If not for some early losses to weak teams they would be in great shape.
I forgot to include the key word "facilities"... I edited my post to make that clear. He was excited at how well the baseball team has been playing and how great Penders is.

Reaction Score
Maybe I am just being a delusionally optimistic UConn fan but it feels like something is happening with UConn and its future prospects.

Everything from the hiring of AD Benedict from a P5 football school, to the deafening silence out of UConn regarding realignment, to a current very successful AD at LB State stepping down to come to UConn, all indicate UConn may know something that is not public yet.

Maybe its just a coincidence but it seems like the UConn Athletic Department is quietly confident and is bringing in talent commiserate with a P5 program. Maybe that means something...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Maybe I am just being a delusionally optimistic UConn fan but it feels like something is happening with UConn and its future prospects.

Everything from the hiring of AD Benedict from a P5 football school, to the deafening silence out of UConn regarding realignment, to a current very successful AD at LB State stepping down to come to UConn, all indicate UConn may know something that is not public yet.

Maybe its just a coincidence but it seems like the UConn Athletic Department is quietly confident and is bringing in talent commiserate with a P5 program. Maybe that means something...

If CR was Game of Thrones it would mean we were about to be sold as slaves, flayed or beheaded. But my thinking is in line with yours. This guy is going to get paid, somehow.

Reaction Score
Cegles is the school’s 12th director of athletics and was named Under Armour Athletics Director of the Year following the 2014-15 school year.

“I thank Vic for his service to our campus and wish him well in his future endeavors,” CSULB President Jane Close Conoley said. “He hired and retained excellent coaches and he displayed ceaseless caring toward student athletes who excelled both in their fields of play and in their academic pursuits.”

Since his hire in April of 2006, Cegles has overseen an era of wild success for the 49ers, as they’ve won five consecutive Commissioner’s Cups coming into this season (the Commissioner’s Cup is the Big West Conference’s award for the top overall athletic program each year).

Cegles’ coaching hires have largely been big hits, most notably bringing in the school’s all-time winningest men’s basketball coach in Dan Monson. Cegles’ big emphasis has been on facility development and he’s overseen upgrades to nearly all of the 49ers’ facilities, as well as the acquisition of Blair Field with a lease from the city of Long Beach.

Long Beach State is also the only California State University to score above the required 925 on Academic Progress Rate (APR) under the NCAA sponsored teams four-year standard for the last nine consecutive years.

More at:
Sources: Long Beach State athletic director Vic Cegles leaving for UConn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn announcement:

A native of Niagara Falls, NY, Cegles also worked in senior athletic department management roles at Rutgers (1981-86), Arizona State (1986-2002) and Temple (2003-06).

“I am elated that Vic Cegles has made the decision to join the UConn family,” said Director of Athletics David Benedict. “Vic has a diverse background and will bring a vast amount of leadership experience in collegiate athletics, including running his own successful athletic department, in addition to serving over 21 years at Power Five institutions. While Vic’s focus will be on the external areas of the department, he will be a key member of my leadership team and will be counted on to make many of the day-to-day decisions.

“Vic brings with him ties to the Northeast, over 30 years of college athletics experience and a reputation for developing student-athletes and coaches alike. He believes in the mission of higher education and may be one of the most competitive individuals I know.”

Cegles placed strong emphasis on resource acquisition at Long Beach State -- targeting the annual fund, capital improvements, scholarship endowments, ticket sales and corporate sponsorships. He established the Beach Athletic Club in 2006, which focused on centralizing and enhancing the annual fund.

Cegles and his team participated in the university’s first ever capital campaign and raised over $25 million for athletics that supported locker room renovations, stadium scoreboards, videoboards, branding displays, a baseball hitting and training facility and scholarship enhancement.

More at:
Vic Cegles Named Deputy Athletic Director

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
UConn announcement:

A native of Niagara Falls, NY, Cegles also worked in senior athletic department management roles at Rutgers (1981-86), Arizona State (1986-2002) and Temple (2003-06).

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
From the story:

"Cegles’ big emphasis has been on facility development...

Gampel roof...

Obviously this means B1G here we come!
He is friends of tbe Patoni family. Manuel was not.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I really hope his name is pronounced like kegels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom