Being dumb around wild animal | The Boneyard

Being dumb around wild animal

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
On my 1st trip to Yellowstone, I was so excited to see my first bison, that I ran toward a small group with camera in hand. When I got within a few yards, one adult raised his head and snorted. I hightailed it, but I was lucky. This could have been me...

Bison Throws Man in Tree - Bing video

Do you have any numbskull moves to share?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Over 20 years ago, just a little northeast of Greenville, Maine, we stopped the car on a narrow road to watch a LARGE male moose, which was at the foot of someone's driveway. We weren't the only ones, so there were cars parked pretty tightly for a couple a hundred feet, narrowing the flow of traffic. Most of us kept a respectful distance - after all, in the lower 48, about the only wild land animal bigger than an adult male moose is yer male bison. Anyway, most of us kept our distance. There was one woman who just had to get close, real close, to take her picture. A rather large woman, not young, wearing Carolina blue shorts - the shorts aren't pertinent to the story, but her size and age wear, as she simply wasn't agile.

I watched with dumbfounded horror as she placed herself directly between a half-a-ton of moose and the line of steady traffic with obstructed sightlines, due to all the parked cars - probably barely 30 feet from each.

The story does have a happy ending - the moose stopped grazing, snurfing near the drive, kinda picked his head up, and gave her a long-suffering "really? REALLY?" look. The lady backed up and sideways a bit, then backed out a bit more.

It was about this time of year, which means rut hadn't started yet. If it had been, oh, September, things might've worked out more unpleasantly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wild animals are awesome, but they are by definition, wild. I'm not a hunter so this could never be me, but I was rooting for the deer big time...

It looks like the deer is just b-slapping him.

"Hey, who's the dominant predator now bitch?"

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the most common phrase spoken before a person gets attacked by a wild animal? Answer will be added this evening. I would love to hear any guesses. :D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

You get the feeling that the deer knew what he was there for and was having none of it...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Living in Southwest Montana about 1:15 from Yellowstone's western entrance we get all the dumb and dumber tourist news. You cannot enter the park without getting a bright yellow sheet of paper with warnings and graphics about not getting your derriere kicked by a bison. Still, really stupid people produce this nonsense on a regular basis:

This year's suicide of choice seems to be falling into boiling water. Still, I'm sure we will have more buffalo and elk injuries before too long.

Most people leave common sense behind when they become "tourists".

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the most common phrase spoken before a person gets attacked by a wild animal? Answer will be added this evening. I would love to hear any guesses. :D

Watch this!

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

"Watch this" or "It's so cute"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The idiot who threw the stick at the bison should have gotten stomped!
I agree - I feel badly for the woman if she did not throw the big stick/log at the bison - you could tell he got pissed. Can't blame him. If she didn't throw it I feel for her. If she did, well, then that was really dumb. I'm guessing the person who threw the stick was her brother in law who was also out of the car and too close to the bison...

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
This whole thread reminds of that coach who thought that maybe his team could compete with UConn and "pet a husky."
What you see when you try to "pet a husky" is what you see in the videos above. Will people never learn?:rolleyes:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Thing is, a human's stupidity often ends up in the death of the animal...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

So whats the scoreboard now? Man+Car+guns 24 million Deer 3 ? :p

Reaction Score
One does not screw around with big cats, bison, moose, etc. These people in the examples above are just Darwin Award Winners.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
One does not screw around with big cats, bison, moose, etc. These people in the examples above are just Darwin Award Winners.

Agree completely. Part of the problem is, as we've become a more urban population in the last 100 years, a remarkable number of folks have no experience whatsoever with any wild animal bigger than a sea gull. And, it's not much better with domesticated animals or livestock - no experience with horses, cows, sheep. goats, whatever. A Labrador Retriever is as big an animal as they can feel comfortable around.

They're no better with anything remotely "creepy" - insects, spiders, snakes, lizards, frogs, etc..

When your points of reference are zoos and Mutual of Omaha-like programming, you lose the caution & respect that Mother Nature pre-programmed you with.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When your points of reference are zoos and Mutual of Omaha-like programming, you lose the caution & respect that Mother Nature pre-programmed you with.
"Today, Jim will be attempting to pick up the lion cubs to show us the size of their paws, while we film over here, a hundred feet away in our Land Rover. "

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe, though I think Lyme Disease is even up the stats a bit. Regardless, in this particular match, there was a clear winner.

Reaction Score
Oddly enough, deer kill more people in the U.S. than any other animal. There are, on average, approximately 2,000 accidents per day involving cars and deer. I don't know how many people die per year but about 5 years ago it was around 130 that year. Absolutely crazy.

Reaction Score
On my 1st trip to Yellowstone, I was so excited to see my first bison, that I ran toward a small group with camera in hand. When I got within a few yards, one adult raised his head and snorted. I hightailed it, but I was lucky. This could have been me...

Bison Throws Man in Tree - Bing video

Do you have any numbskull moves to share?

Humans, in their humanest mentality, should use awareness with ALL animals wild or domestic. As a youth I entered a field in Watertown Ct that was the current home of a huge Bull, with cows in heat. Ferdinand --The bull with the delicate ego--was a popular song . I thought this guy Ferdinand. The bull rushed me--and I ducked under the wire fence. Don't approach dogs you dont OWN--all will bite given the right circumstance. Cats bite and scratch. Pet Monkeys are treacherous.
And we all know about pet orangutans

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
My all out favorite Darwin moment occurred on one of my motorcycle rides to Glacier National Park in Montana. I was on "Going to the Sun Road" (one of the most scenic roads in the US). It is cut into the side of the mountains. As I approached one of the very small cutouts for parking I saw a group of people pointing up the summit. I pulled in to see if there was a picture opportunity. What I saw was two small children climbing up the mountain towards and getting waaaay to close to a black bear that had to weigh 250-300lbs, while the parents took pictures. The other people that stopped were trying to explain to Mr & Mrs Dumb & Dumber how dangerous it was. Just then a ranger showed up. I would say he went professionally crazy. First he took out what looked like an elephant gun to me and went charging up the mountain to retrieve the kids. The gun turned out to fire bean bags. He then read the riot act to M & Mrs D & D. There should be a test before you are allowed to breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom