Baylor @ Tennessee, Sun. 2:00 pm ET | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Baylor @ Tennessee, Sun. 2:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree. That was not a great performance. Way too missed shots around the basket. Mompremier wants to spin 3 times every time she gets the ball. JUST TURN AND SHOOT! And Brown is starting to copy her.
I believe they missed at least ten lay ups and put backs. Also, Cox did not hit her close in shots. She is playing as if she needs a lot of work. I wonder where her confidence level is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You're joking right. 9000 tickets for any WCBB game is very good.
I've been to TBA twice for regular season WBB games and both times it was sold out at 21,000

Reaction Score
I've been to TBA twice for regular season WBB games and both times it was sold out at 21,000

Yeah, and I had a turkey sandwich for lunch. Not sure why either matters.

9k is more than 95% of D1
And given the product they're putting on the floor, pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
Deshields does seem to be lost out there and it's actually sad because you can still see her talent even when she is unproductive. Also for those in the know, arent the stands unusually empty for such a big game? Or is this the new normal for them?
Yes, even her airballs miss by a much bigger margin than anyone else. :eek:

Stands are even emptier than it appears because there is a large Baylor contingent there to fill the seats usually occupied by TN fans. In years past, attendance for a game like this would have drawn 8,000 more LV fans.

JS

Reaction Score
You're joking right. 9000 tickets for any WCBB game is very good.
Yes, but it's not good by Tennessee's past standards, especially against a highly ranked opponent.

For many years, going back to 1999, TN mostly led the pack with average attendance ranging up to 5,000 or 6,000 more than that.

The games Kicker attended in a sold-out (21,000) TBA were no doubt UConn games. Other rivals a somewhat less impressive draw, but there's no doubt the fan base isn't turning out for big games like it used to.

Mostly it's the team's disappointing results in recent years finally beginning to drag down the inertia of enthusiasm from years past. Partly other factors operative everywhere, as well, that we've discussed at length.

Wouldn't call TN/Baylor attendance pitiful, as Hardhat did without the relativity context, but it was below even last year's average. There's no disputing it reflects a comedown in a stat that long was TN's justifiable pride.

Reaction Score

Yes, turkey = Tennessee. I see the connection.

The point is, the drop in attendance from the old days that is a portent of things to come.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Alexis shoots too much.
Takes away from her talented teammates.

48525434.jpg

Reaction Score
So Tennessee has the number recruiting class in the nation......more good players to run around without a clue of what to do on the court
But remember, essentially they are #1 in their own minds, the minds of their promoters, and Holly's mind.

Reaction Score

Agree totally. My point was how many Voles have lost interest from the good old days (21K t0 9K = 57% decline). Though not to the extent that Knoxville has seen, the same phenomenon seems to be occurring nationally - especially in CT where mediocrity is NOT the cause. WBB needs someone else to step up and be good (someone with a personality who can hate Geno would be beneficial, heh heh). This was supposed to be the year. So far it's looking like business as usual - zzzzzz...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I believe they missed at least ten lay ups and put backs. Also, Cox did not hit her close in shots. She is playing as if she needs a lot of work. I wonder where her confidence level is.

Cox has completely lost her confidence and as someone on the Baylor board said, she has a case of the "yips" on her shot now. Earlier in the year she would never miss an open shot and now she looks like she has never played before. I'm not sure when that started but it has gotten ugly.

Brown and Mompremier need to simplify their play in the post and just get the ball and go up strong. They are trying to be Nina Davis...and they are not. O

Reaction Score
Cox has completely lost her confidence and as someone on the Baylor board said, she has a case of the "yips" on her shot now. Earlier in the year she would never miss an open shot and now she looks like she has never played before. I'm not sure when that started but it has gotten ugly.

Brown and Mompremier need to simplify their play in the post and just get the ball and go up strong. They are trying to be Nina Davis...and they are not. O

I think the best player on your team is the pg. As you had said one time regarding Prince - she needs to be more. The bigs from Baylor don't impress too much. They're just big. I'm seeing another E8 unless Cox finders her groove or Prince really steps up or Jones becomes a beast. IMO Nina Davis seems to get smothered in a low post - non-speed game. Good luck. Maybe the two teams will meet again.

Reaction Score
Tennessee showed last year that it could raise its game (sometimes) against superior competition. Can they do it this year?

Meanwhile, any fan of WCBB will enjoy this conversation, from Knoxville, between Doris Burke and Kim Mulkey:

I can't even begin to say how much I loved this clip between Doris Burke and Kim Mulkey. It made a big difference in my perception of Kim Mulkey and humanized her for ME. I thought she was a little much on the sidelines and thought of her in terms that wouldn't be welcomed on this site but this really showed me a completely different person than I expected she was. Doris is so cool always but Kim talking about Pat Summit, the person actually gave me a much different impression of both of them (Pat and Kim). A very much more positive impression. I guess I'm more judgmental than I should be but even in my old age it's nice that given a little information and insight, I can be swayed in a more positive way. Thanks so much for this clip!

Reaction Score
Its hard for me to give Tenn a chance in any game against any team because they continue to prove just that. Baylor should win by a landslide. Tenn continues to be an uncoachable team. Attitude problems on and off the court have ruined this group of very talented players. They just dont respond to their coaches. Tenn imo continues to be an assmebleage of talent that doesnt play as a team. They depend to much on one or two players while the rest just stand around and watch. Its sad. What was once is gone and alot of that has to do with not being tuff and thats tuff love from the coaching staff. JMO I know its a little harsh and it was ment to be. All that talent again this season and they continue to struggle and lose to lesser competition.
What amazes me is hearing their coach trying to communicate with the media. She doesn't seem to have great communication skills and it's hard for me to conceive that she's still the head coach there. She doesn't seem to be able to get anything remotely close to the best out of her team and that's shameful. I'm inclined to think she's probably a great person and it's obvious she had the respect of Pat Summit but she seems totally lost in getting her team to perform.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Holly needs to be a real coach, and sit DD on the bench, too much one on one, totally undisciplined play. If Geno can sit Stewie, and Tuck after 5 minutes to set an example, then Holly needs to do that with DD.
Geno sat them against a conference team... there's no way he'd try that against a Top 5 team

Reaction Score
I saw Holly for what she was from the start..... I thought give her a year to get her feet under her..... but the same ills, the same mistakes, the same team performance..... and there are some in Vol Nation who think that she is about to come into her own..... after 35 years and 5 as HC..... not only is she ill equipped in the x's and o's....... the players do not respect her at a base level plain and simple..... it was easier being asst coach and ride the tailwind of, and be the counter to..... Pay's hardxxx style..... but making transition to being HC herself is so obviously outside her skillset..... do not blame TN for making the hire.... where i think they badly misjudged was at start of last season.... giving her the extension..... but i think the administration is happy with S16 or E8.....

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Wow, Nared pretty brutal in her assessment, calling out everyone except Russell for lack of heart and effort.
Dan and Holly should have called out "Diamond"

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Agree totally. My point was how many Voles have lost interest from the good old days (21K t0 9K = 57% decline). Though not to the extent that Knoxville has seen, the same phenomenon seems to be occurring nationally - especially in CT where mediocrity is NOT the cause. WBB needs someone else to step up and be good (someone with a personality who can hate Geno would be beneficial, heh heh). This was supposed to be the year. So far it's looking like business as usual - zzzzzz...

Dont want to be mean or insensitive.... but those sellouts of 21-24K were some 15 years ago and alot of those fans may have either 1) died or 2) gotten up in the age where travel to and from games is no longer an option. Im in my early 40s.... and if Im still around in 15 years... I'll definitely still be going to Duke WCBB games .. health willing. But when i look in the Duke crowd.... there are alot of elderly fans who most likely wont be around in the year 2031 :(

Reaction Score
gotta show some kind of grit, hustle, effort..... Good Lord, these rating services for HS talent are not wrong..... YN just struggles with lifting the level and bringing out that talent.... and for the fans..... i think they can put up with losing if the effort shows..... Kim could have gotten her team to 100 yesterday..... 22 pts was not so bad a beating in the box score.... too many turnovers for TN not enough assists..... after these few yrs of CHW still seeking a potent offense, even a functional one

JS

Reaction Score
Dont want to be mean or insensitive.... but those sellouts of 21-24K were some 15 years ago and alot of those fans may have either 1) died or 2) gotten up in the age where travel to and from games is no longer an option.

To measure interest in WCBB the stats I'd like to see would show, over time, how many people are watching the games, not just the fraction who are watching in person.

Yes, the latter group is being diminished by the advancing age of those who used to attend regularly. But for the younger group especially, the trend is to do everything -- from shopping to work to entertainment -- at home.

Anatomical changes must surely follow.

stock-photo-big-eye-ball-watching-television-from-the-couch-with-remote-control-on-white-background-d-122453668.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To measure interest in WCBB the stats I'd like to see would show, over time, how many people are watching the games, not just the fraction who are watching in person.

Yes, the latter group is being diminished by the advancing age of those who used to attend regularly. But for the younger group especially, the trend is to do everything -- from shopping to work to entertainment -- at home.

Anatomical changes must surely follow.

stock-photo-big-eye-ball-watching-television-from-the-couch-with-remote-control-on-white-background-d-122453668.jpg
JS - very much agree with this - at that time for all teams not named Uconn, being there was the only way to see the game played. Uconn was the first with it's own TV station and contract for broadcasting, but now most fans can see some if not all of their team's games on TV - cheaper, less time consuming, instant replay, and better and multiple viewing angles.
The TV/On-line numbers still aren't where we all want, but they are a vast expansion of where we were and because much of the broadcast structure is not national, the numbers are probably underreported because a significant portion of fans is using streaming rather than TV.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well this might dispel their fears of DD leaving early? :cool:
That fear would be misplaced. Tennessee should be fearful of DD deciding to return. What a role model for the incoming freshman class.
I couldn't decide whether vowelguy intended in the original post to be taken at face value - DD isn't going to leave because at the moment her 'market value' is too low and therefore Vol fans can relax, or if he was being subtle/ironic and implying that her decision to leave for pro ranks would be the classic addition by subtraction. I decided to play it safe and just ponder the beautiful ambiguity of the post.
rvwsleep - you jumped right in with the assumption that he was playing it straight up.

So ... vowelguy - are you insulted by rvwsleep's assumption that you are not a subtle kind of guy, or did they read you right? :eek::cool: (Yeah, there is no good answer to that question!:rolleyes:)

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
I can't even begin to say how much I loved this clip between Doris Burke and Kim Mulkey. It made a big difference in my perception of Kim Mulkey and humanized her for ME. I thought she was a little much on the sidelines and thought of her in terms that wouldn't be welcomed on this site but this really showed me a completely different person than I expected she was. Doris is so cool always but Kim talking about Pat Summit, the person actually gave me a much different impression of both of them (Pat and Kim). A very much more positive impression. I guess I'm more judgmental than I should be but even in my old age it's nice that given a little information and insight, I can be swayed in a more positive way. Thanks so much for this clip!

Buzzyboy - Although I'm a Huskies fan, I've had the privilege of playing college BB and getting to know Kim Mulkey (no I did not play for her). It's not my place to defend her, but I'm glad this video has changed your mind. Most people on this forum only see Kim as a "game time" coach , and not who she really is behind the game. It may come as a shock to some, but she is a very smart, intelligent, and caring woman. As an ex-player, I've always appreciated her rants on the court as I know she is fighting for her team.

Holly has lost her team as they have quit playing for her. I don't think this situation will get any better this season as there are too many disgruntled players (and lots of bickering between them). It's been hard to watch a once great program go to this. Holly was a good assistant (I'd always agree with Pat), but I'm not sure she is head coach quality. Tenn should part ways with her now and give someone else a chance. With the new recruits coming in (and already signed), this is a perfect situation to give someone else a chance to make this program great again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom