Baylor @ Tennessee, Sun. 2:00 pm ET | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Baylor @ Tennessee, Sun. 2:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nina Davis is really showing up in the second half. Wow.

Tennessee looks miserable.

Nina, with 20 points and 9 rebounds, shows who was the real national FOY three years ago, as I always insisted :rolleyes:

Alexis Jones finishes with 30 points, 10 assists, 9 rebounds, 3 steals, and only one turnover. Truly a magisterial performance.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And Baylor looked fair to partly cloudy at best...far from dominant.

I agree. That was not a great performance. Way too missed shots around the basket. Mompremier wants to spin 3 times every time she gets the ball. JUST TURN AND SHOOT! And Brown is starting to copy her.

Reaction Score
1) Facilities
2) Fan support
3) The chance to be the person to resurrect a wcbb royalty program to the big time
A recruit is willing to blow their entire basketball career for that? Seems kind of crazy to me, but then I don't have to make a living putting an orange ball through a hoop.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What an absolute smackdown. Baylor took their foot off the gas in the 4th quarter and let Tenn make it look less than horrifying, but if I were a Tenn fan, with the exception of Russell's 50% shooting from the floor, there is nothing good you can take away from the game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree. That was not a great performance. Way too missed shots around the basket. Mompremier wants to spin 3 times every time she gets the ball. JUST TURN AND SHOOT! And Brown is starting to copy her.

Brown and Mompremier shot a combined 4-21 today. On the flip, Russell and Nared combined for 41 points and 23 rebounds, yet Tennessee was absolutely pummeled. If those two hit chippies and Baylor doesn't take their foot off the gas, this could have been a 40-50 point drubbing.

Alexis Jones might be the best player in the country, she should get a serious look at being the top overall pick even though Jefferson is already at San Antonio. Jones just does so much so well and is an amazing passer.

Davis looked really good today as well. When she has space to create and put up some of her unusual looking shots, she's quite effective. Against UCONN, the posts clogged up the paint so she didn't have room to create 15 feet and in. She's a great player when put in a good system.

For Tennessee, man did they just look awful the first 3 quarters. DeShields really is a detriment to this team from what I've seen so far this year. Nothing has changed in her demeanor, effort or style. She elevates quite well and can create her own shot, but she isn't a very good shooter, she doesn't put forth effort and is careless with the ball. Problem is, it's not like Holly can effectively bench Diamond either. Put Diamond on the bench and the only options are:
Middleton: 0-6 today, 3 turnovers, really inconsistent player her whole career
Dunbar: 1-3 from 3, doesn't bring much to the table besides an inconsistent shot and a body to put in the post defensively
Nunn: 0-2 today. Grabbed 5 boards and at least worked hard, but I don't see her being an effective player in these types of games

There are just aren't good options. Jackson is starting but isn't a starting caliber guard compared to most starters who've played for UT, Reynolds has had limitations offensively her whole career, and then besides that it's Nared/Russell. This Tennessee team is just flat out bad. I posted that I was nervous they may not make the NCAA tournament this year, and this game solidified that concern.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1. You look good in Orange.
2. You're afraid you would flunk out of Stanford.
3. You want lots of playing time without accountability.
4. You like grits.
5. You really want to get away from your parents.
One of the betters posts in a while. Well done! :)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
For Tennessee, man did they just look awful the first 3 quarters. DeShields really is a detriment to this team from what I've seen so far this year. Nothing has changed in her demeanor, effort or style. She elevates quite well and can create her own shot, but she isn't a very good shooter, she doesn't put forth effort and is careless with the ball. Problem is, it's not like Holly can effectively bench Diamond either. Put Diamond on the bench and the only options are:
Middleton: 0-6 today, 3 turnovers, really inconsistent player her whole career
Dunbar: 1-3 from 3, doesn't bring much to the table besides an inconsistent shot and a body to put in the post defensively
Nunn: 0-2 today. Grabbed 5 boards and at least worked hard, but I don't see her being an effective player in these types of games

There are just aren't good options. Jackson is starting but isn't a starting caliber guard compared to most starters who've played for UT, Reynolds has had limitations offensively her whole career, and then besides that it's Nared/Russell. This Tennessee team is just flat out bad. I posted that I was nervous they may not make the NCAA tournament this year, and this game solidified that concern.

It would be fascinating to see how TN plays together if DD were to come off the bench. Hubby and I were just talking about how DD played at UNC three years ago with unbridled joy along with the rest of that star frosh class. They didn't know what they didn't know, and man, I thought they would get to the FF. Even though DD is now healthy, it doesn't look like she's enjoying the game. Just maybe, a few more minutes on the bench to watch the team and see where she could help, might help her. Doris Burke asked today that although she is very skilled, is she making her teammates better?

Conversely, look at KatieLou today. Two fouls and some uninspired play results in a bit of time on the bench. I said, watch, she's going to go off in the second half, and she curled off those screens for two pointers quite nicely. Not a lot of 3 pointers, but a lot of what she had to do.

Reaction Score
It would be fascinating to see how TN plays together if DD were to come off the bench.

Dont see how that's possible. The TN roster is very very thin.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Holly needs to be a real coach, and sit DD on the bench, too much one on one, totally undisciplined play. If Geno can sit Stewie, and Tuck after 5 minutes to set an example, then Holly needs to do that with DD.

It ain't in Holly's nature.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Players Post Game Press Conference:

Holly's Press Conference:

Reaction Score
I really only have one thing to say; was that home attendance pitiful, or what? You have the #4 team coming into your house on national television on for a special occasion game, and you sell 9,244 tickets for a 21k+ arena? Frankly, I'd guesstimate actual attendance to be closer to 5k. I'm not sure which was the more embarrassing performance; the play of the Lady Vols or the lackadaisical fanbase.

Reaction Score
I really only have one thing to say; was that home attendance pitiful, or what? You have the #4 team coming into your house on national television on for a special occasion game, and you sell 9,244 tickets for a 21k+ arena? Frankly, I'd guesstimate actual attendance to be closer to 5k. I'm not sure which was the more embarrassing performance; the play of the Lady Vols or the lackadaisical fanbase.

You're joking right. 9000 tickets for any WCBB game is very good.

Reaction Score
Too many times in the game Mercedes Russell would get a rebound, pass to a guard, and before she could get to half court, someone on Tennessee would throw up a bad shot, miss, and the ball would be coming back down the court. You need to let your players who do the dirty work in defending, and rebounding, a chance to be part of the offense.

Reaction Score
but if I were a Tenn fan, with the exception of Russell's 50% shooting from the floor, there is nothing good you can take away from the game.

Well this might dispel their fears of DD leaving early? :cool:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I know there's an awful lot of Tenn hatred on our board, a hatred in which I do not share...just consider it outdated, and their program is no longer worthy of our spending the energy. But the utter deterioration of their program, and the apparent willingness of the administration to "let it go,"
is a very bad development for WCBB. I don't care who they recruit. Holly cannot deliver.

I must say Tuna
At least for a few games, one gets a perverse pleasure in how 4 or 5 Big-Macs can be so discombobulated.

Later one feels for the kids who got themselves into that (present day) morass of a program.
A whole lot of terrible, terrible losses to come.

But you bring in a Becky Hammon, give her a five-year contract and reasonable bucks
And next season, we'll have another fierce competitor on our hands.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Huh? Why watch an underachieving and selfish team? If I was a tennessee fan, I would hide in my house about now. Everyone knew this was going to be a blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom