Baylor @ Tennessee, Sun. 2:00 pm ET | The Boneyard

Baylor @ Tennessee, Sun. 2:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Tennessee showed last year that it could raise its game (sometimes) against superior competition. Can they do it this year?

Meanwhile, any fan of WCBB will enjoy this conversation, from Knoxville, between Doris Burke and Kim Mulkey:

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of a good upset so long as it isn't happening to us ;) but I think the Bears have this in the bag. It would still be nice to see a tight and close game for the Vols. Like last season, the start hasn't been pretty. But maybe there's a little might at the end of the tunnel. Then again... it might just be the train coming - but here's hoping!

Reaction Score
interested to see how aggressive Mercedes plays..... and whether LVs can put 40 good minutes together

Reaction Score
Tennessee showed last year that it could raise its game (sometimes) against superior competition. Can they do it this year?

Meanwhile, any fan of WCBB will enjoy this conversation, from Knoxville, between Doris Burke and Kim Mulkey:

Thanks Plebe. Loved the video.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Kristy Wallace has really raised her game since the start of the season and I think she makes Baylor a much better team now that she has kind of taken a leadership role on the team. She sets the bar for hustle plays and, IMO, is developing into at least the second best player on the team. She was the MVP of the Florida tourney that Baylor played in, in large part to her defensive play. She was absolutely terrific in that tourney. I am guessing that she will defend DD and will stick to her like glue.

And I don't see UT having the number of posts that match up with Baylor. If Russell gets into any foul trouble Baylor should dominate the play in the paint.

It will be interesting to see if Mulkey tries to get Davis more involved in the offense like she did in Baylor's last game. I think Mulkey is set on Davis playing the 3 and wants her to drive to the basket instead of take the outside shot. However, as has been pointed out here, having two big players in the lane clogs things up quite a bit.

Reaction Score
I see Baylor getting Russell in foul trouble and the game going straight downhill for Tennessee after that.
They have NO bench at all.
Baylor by 20+ in front of the LV home crowd. An early Christmas present.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Been said before, but Kim does not look all that well - a little gaunt in the face. Hope she is healthy, certainly haven't heard anything.

Kristy Wallace has really raised her game since the start of the season and I think she makes Baylor a much better team now that she has kind of taken a leadership role on the team. She sets the bar for hustle plays and, IMO, is developing into at least the second best player on the team. She was the MVP of the Florida tourney that Baylor played in, in large part to her defensive play. She was absolutely terrific in that tourney. I am guessing that she will defend DD and will stick to her like glue.

And I don't see UT having the number of posts that match up with Baylor. If Russell gets into any foul trouble Baylor should dominate the play in the paint.

It will be interesting to see if Mulkey tries to get Davis more involved in the offense like she did in Baylor's last game. I think Mulkey is set on Davis playing the 3 and wants her to drive to the basket instead of take the outside shot. However, as has been pointed out here, having two big players in the lane clogs things up quite a bit.
How is the Baylor zone? Cause if they are having any issues man to man, zone will stop TN in its tracks!
Fun feature they are doing now on ESPN - really enjoyed the one with Geno.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its hard for me to give Tenn a chance in any game against any team because they continue to prove just that. Baylor should win by a landslide. Tenn continues to be an uncoachable team. Attitude problems on and off the court have ruined this group of very talented players. They just dont respond to their coaches. Tenn imo continues to be an assmebleage of talent that doesnt play as a team. They depend to much on one or two players while the rest just stand around and watch. Its sad. What was once is gone and alot of that has to do with not being tuff and thats tuff love from the coaching staff. JMO I know its a little harsh and it was ment to be. All that talent again this season and they continue to struggle and lose to lesser competition.

Reaction Score
Love these chats that Doris has been doing the day before big game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nice video - two old timers. We give Mulkey a hard time around here, but she is special in many ways.

She sure is. Former great players rarely go on to have stellar coaching careers, but Mulkey and Staley have taken their respective programs to unprecedented heights.

I always love Kim's reminiscences. She briefly mentioned being selected by Pat for the 1984 Olympic team (apparently there was no selection committee back then). I'll never understand how she was merely a bench player behind starting PG Lea Henry, whose highest individual honor in college — as a Tennessee player — had been a single all-SEC selection. Somehow this tidbit never got mentioned this past year amid the orange-tinged accusations of favoritism during Candace-gate.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think it'll be relatively tight much of the way and Baylor pulls away and wins by 10-15. Last season, Tennessee was able to compete with just about anybody, but they'd lose focus for a stretch which allowed the other team to pull away. Either that, or they'd be able to hang most of the way but could never get over the hump. I think this team is in a very similar mold. I don't see a 20+ point blowout, but I see another frustrating game where UT shows it has potential, but lacks the killer instinct and focus needed to pull it off. Baylor 73-61.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'll watch this game but be sleep for the UConn/Texas game

Reaction Score

Great find!

"People hear this twaing and think, 'She's just a dumb-o hillbilly.'" (Well - you did just sing Rocky Top, so.....???)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This series of interviews before big games is a great look into the programs personalities and shows just how small the circle of WCBB is. Thank you for posting. As Coach Mulkey pointed out, it is about competition and the respect she has for not only Pat Summitt but for WBB. Mulkey is comfortable with her place in the game and loves competing and this snippet exhibits this. I
I am hoping for a close game as I do think UT has significant top 5 talent with limited coaching. Holly can recruit well, however her and her staff simply do not get the players to work as a team and not elevate their games. I thinkUT will step up, so I will keep my fingers crossed for them to show their talents, however I do think they come up short at the end by 6-8 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom