Baylor Full-Court Pressure Up One w/9 Seconds Left...why? | The Boneyard

Baylor Full-Court Pressure Up One w/9 Seconds Left...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I realize it was sheer chaos at the end of the game, but neither announcer mentioned that there was no need for Baylor to full-court press (with someone on the ball!) on the last possession. This basically left Griner playing defense 35 feet from the basket.

Seth Greenberg on the men's side did question why they decided to press.

Reaction Score
Perhaps they thought with all of Louisville's guards fouled out (or most of them), they'd have a hard time breaking the press and getting off a shot. They did just turn it over with a case of butterfingers.

That assumes they thought about it. They might have just stayed with the D they had playing for the last five minutes without thought.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I realize it was sheer chaos at the end of the game, but neither announcer mentioned that there was no need for Baylor to full-court press (with someone on the ball!) on the last possession. This basically left Griner playing defense 35 feet from the basket.

I raised the issue of Griner's defensive position in another thread. She was up near half court.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There was no time out after Baylor's free throw; Louisville just inbounded and ran up the court. The players were probably playing the same D they had on Louisville' previous offensive possession.

Reaction Score

Their pressure had been very effective down the stretch.

Also would've been hard to quickly adjust defense on the fly -- until sims hits 2nd free throw, they weren't in the lead. So if you suddenly tell everyone to get back on d, they would separate from the person they were guarding, which you might not want to do at that point.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Because of the free throws, Kim should have had time to make adjustments to what she wanted the players to do. But she may also have expected Louisville to call time out and counted on setting the defense during the time out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yep, no time out and ended up caught in a bad defensive layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom