Batouly Camara to UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Batouly Camara to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No. Nice try.;)
It wasn't THAT nice of a try. I believe ETT can do much better. As a matter of fact, I almost completely underwhelmed.

Borderline mediocre at best, even on a good day............................is how I'd describe it.:p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sadie Edwards might have been on the other line urging her not to go to UCONN:D. Oh well she's here now!
Geno was recorded at the victory parade a few years ago when he said that Sadie was not a hard worker. His release on Batouly describes her as "an incredibly hard worker." That's the key difference.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I guess that rule only applies to Baylor and North Carolina.;)

Hey ETT, nice to hear from you. There's an old saying...........'When you associate, you assimilate". You've been hanging here in the yard with us long enough, that you're beginning to think like we do, and understand OUR thought process. Welcome aboard. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
Or; "Last year we walked up to the door, this year we banged on it, next year we're gonna kick the sumbitch in!"

I (being a Oiler fan at the time) vividly remember head coach Bum Phillips saying that. It drew a loud and lengthy applause from the crowd, and he was serious. It was at a rally after they returned home from losing a playoff game. I believe the rally was held inside the Houston Astrodome. I wish I could have been there. I loved my blu!! :cool:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Too low. They make the total at least 10.

1. Sarah Northway
  2. Rita Williams
  3. Tihana Abrilic
  4. Christine Rigby
  5. Rashidat Sadiq
  6. McCormack
  7. Britt Hunter
  8. Butler

Rita Williams was technically a transfer, but the reason she went to Mitchell (on the staff's recommendation) was an insufficiency in either grades or admission test scores (can't remember which). After establishing herself there, she was able to transfer in to her preferred locale.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Bill Safire was best known for writing the weekly "On Language" column in the NY Times Magazine. (Nobody's perfect; he also wrote speeches for Spiro Agnew.:rolleyes:). I occasionally corresponded with him as a member of his GOTCHA! Gang.

But that gave him the opportunity to gift us with "the nattering nabobs of negativity" and other gems. Only Spiro could have delivered those with a straight face.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
But that gave him the opportunity to gift us with "the nattering nabobs of negativity" and other gems. Only Spiro could have delivered those with a straight face.

I guess he also used a straight face while criminally engaging with nefarious, numerous , and negligent nin-com-poops.

Reaction Score
I (being a Oiler fan at the time) vividly remember head coach Bum Phillips saying that. It drew a loud and lengthy applause from the crowd, and he was serious. It was at a rally after they returned home from losing a playoff game. I believe the rally was held inside the Houston Astrodome. I wish I could have been there. I loved my blu!! :cool:

It was after, I believe, their 2nd straight playoff loss to the Steelers, a bitter AFC rival. Hence the 3-part alliteration.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It was after, I believe, their 2nd straight playoff loss to the Steelers, a bitter AFC rival. Hence the 3-part alliteration.

Correct. Those were the devastating years of The Steel Curtain, at least four of whom are in the Hall of Fame (Greene, Lambert, Ham, Blount). Those Stillers were really tough against Texas teams.;)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I was an Oiler fan living in Houston at the time and loved Bum. Unfortunately, while I can't remember exactly what happened the next year, they did NOT kick the sumbitch in.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Some quotes from the Bumster.
  • "There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."[4]
  • "I always thought I could coach. I just thought people were poor judges of good coaches."[5]
  • "I've never seen a hammer and tong game like that one."
  • To a reporter who said, "He sure gets up slow," after Earl Campbell had been tackled. "Yes, but he goes down slow, too."
  • "The harder we played the behinder we got."
  • "Mama always said that if it can't rain on you, you're indoors." (Explaining why he wouldn't wear his cowboy hat in the Astrodome, the first domed stadium)
  • "Dallas Cowboys may be America's team, but the Houston Oilers are Texas' team."
  • "I never scrimmage Oilers against Oilers... what for? Houston isn't on our schedule." (Source: The Book of Sports Lists)
  • (To an official) "Hey, can I, can I tell you one thing? That's three holding penalties on one football team in a quarter and a half. (Pauses) That ain't funny."
  • (To an official) "Now, you can't do that! If you do it, I'm telling you you'll have more hell over it than a little bit."
  • (after playing the Steelers for the fifth time in two seasons and planning to meet them a sixth time) "The road to the Super Bowl runs through Pittsburgh, sooner or later you've got to go to Pittsburgh.[6]
  • (20 years after playing Pittsburgh six times in two seasons) "Don't take long to spend all the time you want in Pittsburgh."[7]
  • (referring to Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula) "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."[8] He also said the same line about Bear Bryant.[9]
  • (referring to Houston Oilers quarterback Warren Moon) "That boy could throw a football through a car wash and not get it wet."
  • (when asked about Oilers RB Earl Campbell's inability to finish a one-mile run in training camp) "When it's first and a mile, I won't give it to him."
  • (when asked by Bob Costas why he took his wife on all of the Oilers' road trips) "Because she's too ugly to kiss goodbye."[10]
  • (on January 7, 1980, to the crowd at the Astrodome that welcomed the Oilers home after their second consecutive loss to the Steelers in the AFC championship game) "One year ago, we knocked on the door. This year, we beat on the door. Next year, we're going to kick the son of a bitch in."[11][12][13]
  • (of Earl Campbell) "I don't know if he's in a class by himself, but I do know that when that class gets together, it sure don't take long to call the roll."[14]
  • Late one night, Phillips and Sid Gillman were watching film and Phillips began to doze off. Gillman woke him up by saying, "Hey Bum, this is better than making love." Phillips responded, "Either I don't know how to watch film, Sid, or you don't know how to make love." (Phillips later indicated that his language may have actually been stronger than that.)[15]
  • "Respect all. Fear none."
  • The only discipline that lasts is self-discipline."

Carnac

Reaction Score

Off the top of my head (w/o researching it), that's the way I remember it too. The Steelers and their "Steel Curtain" defense, (and their version of the fearsome foursome) was a door stop for the Oilers. No matter how hard they tried, they could not get by the dreaded Steelers. I guess you could say the Steelers had their number. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom