Batouly Camara articles | The Boneyard

Batouly Camara articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice!

"We developed a great relationship with Batouly during the recruiting process a couple years ago so we already knew what a great kid she is," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement. "She comes from a great family, is an incredibly hard worker and has outstanding ability. I can't wait for her get to Storrs."

Her best game was in a loss at South Carolina when had a career-high 14 points to go with nine rebounds against the Gamecocks' talented frontline that includes All-American A'ja Wilson.

"I am extremely excited and thankful for the opportunity to join the UConn family, Camara said. "This is an incredible opportunity that I do not take lightly. I can't wait to get to campus this summer to meet my new teammates and create lasting relationships on and off the court."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
watching that brief high school shoot-around film (link is on another thread, I think), I'm impressed by how strong she looks and yet how nimble. She was comfortable shooting (and draining) longish jumpers as well. Didn't get a sense of whether she has moves that take it to the basket, and maybe that's just not her. Strong underneath and a good jumper when open....someone who plays within herself in all the good ways. Not someone who is going to flash right away, but, with the right coaching (which she will certainly get), be progressively accomplished. Like Tuck, someone with the smarts to effectively guard a post 3" taller. In fact, probably had her best game against South Carolina. Will set an awesome pick and be highly disciplined on offense. Gives UConn great physicality with enough scoring threat.

I "saw" all that in 90 seconds? Sure! :)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Batouly seems to be an interesting combination of a nimble/athletic and strong/banger type. She's a hard worker and will have great coaching. Reportedly, she wants to play in the WNBA. I think she improved her chances this week.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:(:eek::rolleyes: Sigh(ing) in South Bend.

Good get. Saw her play in person twice in high school and she's a banger.
Muffet, Niele & Co. will need to ratchet up recruiting of 2017ers....
You didn't hear this from me but IMO, the 2017 players that ND in the hunt would be an upgrade over Camara. Specifically D. Patterson, J. Williams, S. Cooks, or L. Williams.

Reaction Score
You didn't hear this from me but IMO, the 2017 players that ND in the hunt would be an upgrade over Camara. Specifically D. Patterson, J. Williams, S. Cooks, or L. Williams.
Of course, different programs have different needs at different positions at different times. Better isn't always best, if you know what I mean (do I know what I mean??).

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Waving the white flag. There's an article on adimeback.com, but I cannot get the link to copy/paste correctly. grr.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Thanks for the hope! Of course, as NewCorn states, we've got to land a few of these "big"prospects. As you know, we had a smaller (albeit very effective) recruiting yield this year, so Muffet's on record as saying she's after some forwards and a guard. Any two of those forwards would certainly bring a smile to Irish fans' faces. Ms. Patterson is reportedly coming from NYC out to South Bend for a visit in September and hopefully we'll hear about a few more trips from some of the others. As for the guards in question, I think UConn and Irish fans know whom we're talking about...;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hope the link is accessible. If not, click on the "5 Things" link on Google.

Camara was born and raised in New York City, but her family is of Guinean descent.

She was also benched for all but three minutes of a game at Florida in January because Mitchell was not happy with her effort on the defensive end. "There is no one who has gotten harder times from the coach this year than Batouly," Mitchell said in a Lexington Herald-Leader story in February. "And she just shows up the next day with a smile on her face and tries to get better."

Batouly Camara: 5 Things To Know About Newest UConn Women's Player

Google

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Article from January:

In the loss at second-ranked South Carolina on Thursday night, playing against some of the nation’s elite forwards in A’ja Wilson and Alaina Coates, Camara had a career-high 14 points and a team-best nine rebounds.

“She was so very aggressive … offensively and defensively,” Mitchell said. “Made a ton of mistakes, but she played. And when some kids were backing up against that big size, she was going at them. I love that.”

Camara did something the cameras didn’t capture, too.

When UK star guard Makayla Epps was struggling to find her shot, starting that game against the Gamecocks 0-for-6 from the field, it was Camara in her ear.

“Batouly Camara, she kept me in it the most,” confided Epps, who went on to lead the team with 17 points.

Camara’s ability to keep smiling, to keep pushing forward even when things are tough have made her an invaluable teammate, Mitchell said.

“She is a fantastic person and we knew that when we signed her,” Mitchell said. “And she’s been even better than what we’d imagined. We’re excited about her future. She just overthinks things sometimes, and I’d rather a person care too much than care too little.”

Things coming into focus for UK women’s Camara

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Article from January:

“She is a fantastic person and we knew that when we signed her,” Mitchell said. “And she’s been even better than what we’d imagined. We’re excited about her future. She just overthinks things sometimes, and I’d rather a person care too much than care too little.”

Things coming into focus for UK women’s Camara
We're excited about her future too. ;)

As Yogi would have said, her entire future is ahead of her.

Reaction Score
Great pick up by UConn! I saw her play many times in high school at Blair Academy and AAU (Gauchos). In high school, Batouly played on a very talented team at Blair Academy with Sadie Edwards, Andra Espinosa and a really good PG called Bre Cavanaugh who will be at Rutgers soon after some health problems while at Cal. She is physically gifted and a smart ball player.

What I find most amusing about these transfers were comments made a few months ago by Boneyard members that UConn does not do tranfers or junior college players except in rare circumstances. I guess the circumstance are based on level of talent! :cool:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Fuller talked to Camara's high school coach Quint Clarke:

"She announced she was transferring before Azura' signed so then we saw that Azura' signed (with UConn) and there was some thought that maybe it wouldn't fit and UConn was good (at the post position)," Clarke said. "The coaches feel like they can play together and I think they can. That is part of it of any kid going to UConn of 'am I going to play.' They have a million great players and everybody wants to go there so is there an opportunity to get on the court? The coaches were very clear that they feel she can contribute. There aren't a ton of post players there. She is not going up planning to sit on the bench, she is going up there to play, she wants to be a part of winning and continuing the excellence.

"She is super fired up. She had offers from virtually every program in the country, my phone was going crazy for about a month with people calling. If anything she is a little nervous, Connecticut after all is the preeminent program in the country, she knows that is a different level of challenge but she is excited (to prove) she belongs there. The coaches have a lot of faith in her and they convinced her that was the right decision but every girl in the country knows what UConn is and it is a different kind of place than anywhere else."

Clarke couldn't say enough good things about the junior season Espinoza-Hunter enjoyed at Blair.

"She is getting better and better," Clarke said. "We had some injuries this year and she had to take on a bigger role, she can score at an unbelievable level and she is adding so much to her game. Two years ago most people would have said she is (just) a shooter. She has become physical, she can penetrate, she can post up, she finishes through traffic, she rebounds, she had an unbelievable year."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: High school coach: Latest UConn player a "total giver as a person"

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fuller talked to Camara's high school coach Quint Clarke:

"She announced she was transferring before Azura' signed so then we saw that Azura' signed (with UConn) and there was some thought that maybe it wouldn't fit and UConn was good (at the post position)," Clarke said. "The coaches feel like they can play together and I think they can. That is part of it of any kid going to UConn of 'am I going to play.' They have a million great players and everybody wants to go there so is there an opportunity to get on the court? The coaches were very clear that they feel she can contribute. There aren't a ton of post players there. She is not going up planning to sit on the bench, she is going up there to play, she wants to be a part of winning and continuing the excellence.

"She is super fired up. She had offers from virtually every program in the country, my phone was going crazy for about a month with people calling. If anything she is a little nervous, Connecticut after all is the preeminent program in the country, she knows that is a different level of challenge but she is excited (to prove) she belongs there. The coaches have a lot of faith in her and they convinced her that was the right decision but every girl in the country knows what UConn is and it is a different kind of place than anywhere else."

Clarke couldn't say enough good things about the junior season Espinoza-Hunter enjoyed at Blair.

"She is getting better and better," Clarke said. "We had some injuries this year and she had to take on a bigger role, she can score at an unbelievable level and she is adding so much to her game. Two years ago most people would have said she is (just) a shooter. She has become physical, she can penetrate, she can post up, she finishes through traffic, she rebounds, she had an unbelievable year."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: High school coach: Latest UConn player a "total giver as a person"
Nice words about both Batouly and AEH!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree. I believe people will be very surprised by Andra Espinoza.
Andra has been a great shooter from distance since SEVENTH grade. She has gradually added to her game, so she is not one-dimensional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom