Baseball Winter Meetings Thread... | The Boneyard

Baseball Winter Meetings Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm already tired about beat writers stating the reasons for and against the Yankees trading/keeping Gardner. If nothing is done by the end of these meetings, just please keep him. They Yankees might have 100 stolen bases in 2014 if they do.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Fatso on WFAN says he provides depth to the potential gimpiality of Beltran and Ellsbury. I think he would start in left, of course, with the depth being that he bumps Wells or Ichori off the team.

I guess he would bat 9th again?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
RED SOX NOOBS
Burke Badenhop
Tommy Layne
Edward Mujica (great move!)
AJ Purrzinski

YANKEE NOOBS
Jacoby Ellsbury
Kelly Johnson
Brian McCann
Jim Miller
Yamaico Navarro
Brendan Ryan

METS NOOBS
Chris Young
The Grandy Man

Reaction Score
If he did hit 9th, he and Ellsbury could be on base at the same time wreaking havoc. I'd like to see that. I think the combo of power and speed is what the Yankees need next year. I'd try to get a decent 3rd baseman, go after Tanaka, and get a number 5 in-house. It's crazy to say, but I think that they're going overboard, trying to make up for last year.
Also, they're offering deep discount ticketing between now and the 24th of this month. It's some promotion with Master Card.
Hey, I'm just happy that they're doing something!

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is the loss of Mo and whether Robertson can take that job over.....they actually could have addresses that simply by keeping Soriano last year but now they have to rely on the hope of this guy becoming more consistent. I'm not one who believes he has the makeup but we'll see.....they need bullpen help nonetheless as well as what arnie said - a solid top3 starter (tanaka?) and a bottom 4-5 guy..........Infante may reap the rewards of Cano signing and a 3rd baseman works too, if there is anything. Otherwise we'll see Nunez and Johnson there (maybe even Jeter)......

Interesting next couple of days with all of their needs......by the way I am all in on trading Gardner if they get a front-line pitcher or a 3rd baseman, preferably an arm.

Reaction Score
One "option" I hope that Cashman puts to rest for third base, is Michael Young.He may still be able to hit a little but his defense is atrocious. Rumor had it that Cashman also contacted Youkilis about returning, but that's even crazier than Young. At this point Cashman said on MLB radio this morning that he's looking for one more infielder a solid pitcher, and shoring up the bullpen. I think Mau is correct in assuming that Robertson isn't going to just inherit the job from Mo. I have more confidence in him as the set up man for a closer, but don't have the confidence in him closing out games.
So looking at what's left in the free agent market at third, starting pitching and closer, I'd have to say that the remainders all have flaws, but will be overpaid. As I have said before, I'd love to keep Gardner, but if the Yankees can get a Marco Scutaro from the Giants or a Homer Bailey from the Reds in return, they should jump at it.
I would not want to see them trade Gary Sanchez or Ivan Nova (also being rumored). That would be sacrificing the future.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Interesting next couple of days with all of their needs......by the way I am all in on trading Gardner if they get a front-line pitcher or a 3rd baseman, preferably an arm.

Gardner for Dempster. Win-win.

Reaction Score
I read where the Indians are open to trading Justin Masterson for the right deal. I have always like him. He has such a smooth delivery that I think he could pitch until he was 40. I would offer Jake Peavy and Matt Barnes for him. He would be a huge plus to the rotation.....not that it isn't already pretty good.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Big move by the DBacks getting Trumbo. Truly legit power bat.

And the Mariners getting Cory Hart could be a big sleeper signing.

Reaction Score
Mets ink Bartolo Colon to a 2 year deal. Not a bad move considering the loss of Harvey for next year. Nothing too long term and gives them a potential chip to trade to a contender at some point down the line.

Reaction Score
Mets ink Bartolo Colon to a 2 year deal. Not a bad move considering the loss of Harvey for next year. Nothing too long term and gives them a potential chip to trade to a contender at some point down the line.
Bartolo will turn 41 in May. Normally I would say that the Mets made a big mistake but this guy seems to age well. Maybe they went to wrong way on his birth certificate and he is really only 35.;)

Reaction Score
Joba to Detroit for $2.5 million and performance bonuses. Ironic that he and Hughes are gone, and Cashman is talking to Santana's agent.

Also, supposedly NY turned down a Gardner for Phillips trade, believing Phillips is trending the wrong way with 4 more years left on his deal.

Reaction Score
It also looks like the Yankees are behind KC with Infante. They won't go to 4 years, and KC looks like it will. Right now the Yankees have signed Kelly Johnson, but that was more for his bat than glove, hoping that he would probably be playing a reserve role. With Cano and Tex, the Yankees were strong. With Kelly and Tex, not so much. I would have liked to see Omar at second but his agent is asking for a 4 year $40 mil deal which is crazy. The Yankees offered 3/$24mil which I thought might have sealed the deal. However, like 3rd base, there are so many needs by clubs with so little options. Second base is a huge hole for the Yankees to fill. Getting some power back with free-agent signings has offset the loss, but so far not defensively.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was asked today why Spring Training was held in the winter and the Winter Meetings were held in the fall.

Reaction Score
I read where the Indians are open to trading Justin Masterson for the right deal. I have always like him. He has such a smooth delivery that I think he could pitch until he was 40. I would offer Jake Peavy and Matt Barnes for him. He would be a huge plus to the rotation.....not that it isn't already pretty good.

If I were the Yanks I would offer Joba Chamberlain and....it was a joke I didn't finish......oops
I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

I hope so it's one "sided" Waq sided!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like Boone Logan may be going to the Rockies. I would like to keep him. He's one of a handful of lefties that can get 4 outs.Also, Joaquin Benoit is asking $7-10mil. The same pitcher that was useless in Detroit. Now San Diego seems enamored.

Reaction Score
Looks like Boone Logan may be going to the Rockies. I would like to keep him. He's one of a handful of lefties that can get 4 outs.Also, Joaquin Benoit is asking $7-10mil. The same pitcher that was useless in Detroit. Now San Diego seems enamored.

Agreed arnie would like to keep Logan for sure, need the lefties and he was solid........

Reaction Score

Lots of focus on Cano and the $240 million, but in the long run all the money given to average or below average players is pretty amazing. Phil Hughes had a 5.19 ERA and he gets $24 million?

Speaking of which, Cano was an ass yesterday. New York "never respected me"?? NY makes an offer $75 million above what Pedroia got (read all the Boneyard debates about who you'd rather have on your team), an offer that was very likely his best besides Seattle's crazy deal, and that's disrespect?

Reaction Score
Lots of focus on Cano and the $240 million, but in the long run all the money given to average or below average players is pretty amazing. Phil Hughes had a 5.19 ERA and he gets $24 million?

Speaking of which, Cano was an ass yesterday. New York "never respected me"?? NY makes an offer $75 million above what Pedroia got (read all the Boneyard debates about who you'd rather have on your team), an offer that was very likely his best besides Seattle's crazy deal, and that's disrespect?
I think many in the Yankee camp are happy to see Cano go. The price was way too high, the ego way too big. Wait to Seattle watches him decide not to run out a few ground balls or be nonchalant in chasing the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Mau start touting Pedroia as the best second baseman soon.

Reaction Score
Its gotta be that winter meetings date back to the age of the dinosaur when there were 5 stats, little film and calling other teams on the phone was the only way to communicate. Rather than give up 'hand' by traveling to someone else city, the winter meetings were once the best way to meet on a neutral ground and make deals. Nowadays it seems like little in the way of transactions happen at the meetings and they are almost entirely a business convention

Reaction Score
I wish we had Dustin Pedroia ,...........like that 60's?

Nah but he's worth every penny of his contract for sure while the "disrespected" Cano could be but probably won't be.........he's overall the best 2nd baseman in baseball clearly but he's also the same guy who could lose interest in the game not being in the playoff hunt quite often.......hope he gets a 100 game suspension soon!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom