baseball schedule stuff | The Boneyard

baseball schedule stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Chris Jones@JonesCcj
Ohio State just came out with baseball schedule.Playing UConn on March 1 in Deland Florida which means that UConn will be heading to Stetson

Reaction Score
Uconn usually plays their 1st three games vs B1G competetion. Obviously this is one of them.
The fall roster should be out shortly. Last year Tabakman transferred from UNC, and Chris Paul transferred from Avery Point. This was the first we learned of them.
I wonder if there will be a surprise or two this year.
BTW, Paul batted .365 and hit 7HR's this summer in the Atlantic Coast league. Our outfield should consist of Paul, Ferriter, & Yavaronne. That's a pretty experienced OF.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Yavarone hit .270 last year which isn't exactly Ferriter/Andreoli Freshmen year numbers but it's not too bad. Eye test tells me he's the real deal. Ferriter is a given. If Paul can have a good year the OF will be very good.

Anyways, itching to see the full schedule. Now that I'm not at UConn anymore I have to actually figure out what games I can make it to. Hopefully for my sake they'll play Fairfield/Quinnipiac/SHU in the FC area of the state.

Reaction Score
Yavarone hit .270 last year which isn't exactly Ferriter/Andreoli Freshmen year numbers but it's not too bad. Eye test tells me he's the real deal. Ferriter is a given. If Paul can have a good year the OF will be very good.

Anyways, itching to see the full schedule. Now that I'm not at UConn anymore I have to actually figure out what games I can make it to. Hopefully for my sake they'll play Fairfield/Quinnipiac/SHU in the FC area of the state.
Ryan Moore who started a majority of the games in the outfield is also back for his senior year. I have been hearing they want to use him mostly as a reliever. I hope Paul plays as well this upcoming year as he played this summer. That could be a very good outfield.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Ryan Moore who started a majority of the games in the outfield is also back for his senior year. I have been hearing they want to use him mostly as a reliever. I hope Paul plays as well this upcoming year as he played this summer. That could be a very good outfield.
Pretty sure I read/heard Moore might be the closer which would probably limit his use in RF.

Reaction Score
read these from the bottom up.

Chris Jones@JonesCcj
Sounds like uconn baseball will play 24 conf games but not 100 percent sure on that

The last non conf series is a 3 gamer against George Mason the last wknd of the season. That's in place for when uconn would have played wvu

Uconn baseball will also travel for a 3 game series against sam houston state. A top 25 team from last season

Over spring break the huskies will head to south carolina and play a three game series against presbyterian and then one game at charleston.

uconn will play a tourney at stetson with games against stetson, ohio state and central michigan.

Uconn will have a tournament at ucf against different opponents including ucf. Michigan was suppose to be third team but they backed out.

Uconn will play in big east/big ten challenge first weekend of the year against indiana and purdue with a third opponent to be decided.

Now on to uconn baseball scheduling for next season. Talked to coach penders about non conf next year.

Im really liking the Presbyterian series followed by the game at Charleston as those should be solid teams that will give us some good games but we should hopefully go at least 3-1 if we dont sleep on those teams. I got the chance to meet Presbyterian's coaching staff a while back and for such a small school in the middle of nowhere in SC they are really putting together a nice little program in their first years of D1 play. They can be very dangerous and are not afraid to go toe to toe with the big boys down south so I hope our team doesn't sleep walk down to Clinton, SC. If we don't overlook Presbyterian I see us taking at the very least 2 games with a decent (50-50) chance at taking the sweep. As for Charleston, that should be one hell of a game. They had a kid who had Top 15 overall talent and would have been a JR this coming season but signed as a free agent with the Yankees over the summer so that is a huge blow for them and Im not sure how they will replace that hole in the lineup.

As for the other games, we have some very nice looking non-conference opponents lined up that will give us the opportunity at some solid wins to help bump up the rpi. Teams like Stetson, Indiana & Purdue will be the teams to measure how good we are early in the season.
I believe teams are allowed to start fall scrimmages this week, and we are now only a few months and some snow away from the start of the 2013 baseball season!!

Reaction Score
read these from the bottom up.

Chris Jones@JonesCcj
Sounds like uconn baseball will play 24 conf games but not 100 percent sure on that

The last non conf series is a 3 gamer against George Mason the last wknd of the season. That's in place for when uconn would have played wvu

Uconn baseball will also travel for a 3 game series against sam houston state. A top 25 team from last season

Over spring break the huskies will head to south carolina and play a three game series against presbyterian and then one game at charleston.

uconn will play a tourney at stetson with games against stetson, ohio state and central michigan.

Uconn will have a tournament at ucf against different opponents including ucf. Michigan was suppose to be third team but they backed out.

Uconn will play in big east/big ten challenge first weekend of the year against indiana and purdue with a third opponent to be decided.

Now on to uconn baseball scheduling for next season. Talked to coach penders about non conf next year.

Very nice! sure wish we could repay Seattle for that game we were supposed to have with them, maybe Penders should schedule a 1 game set with them in different years.

We might have Villanova or Georgetown back on the schedule, considering WVU left.

Reaction Score
Very nice! sure wish we could repay Seattle for that game we were supposed to have with them, maybe Penders should schedule a 1 game set with them in different years.

We might have Villanova or Georgetown back on the schedule, considering WVU left.
With 12 teams, we played 9 teams 3 times, and didn't play 2 teams. Those 2 teams rotated by year. In 2011, it was West Virginia and Seton Hall. Last year, it was Villanova and Georgetown. Sounds like we'll be playing 8 teams 3 times, and 2 teams 0 times, although I don't know who those teams would be. But we would play Georgetown and Villanova, for sure. The rotation is a 5-year rotation I believe, but it would change with WVU leaving so all teams get an even number of games.

mets1090

Reaction Score
It would be cool if we could swing a 3 game set with a nice program if we do in fact drop down to 24 conference games. Would help the SOS.

Reaction Score
It would be cool if we could swing a 3 game set with a nice program if we do in fact drop down to 24 conference games. Would help the SOS.

Alumni game is next Sunday. They had the schedule there last year..hopefully this years will be available. I will post it if it is.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Alumni game is next Sunday. They had the schedule there last year..hopefully this years will be available. I will post it if it is.
What time is the game? If I visit UConn (strong possibility) I'll probably catch the game.

Reaction Score
What time is the game? If I visit UConn (strong possibility) I'll probably catch the game.

Everything begins at 12:00...Introduce team...Awards....Game... followed by BBQ(fundraiser for stadium enhancement)

Reaction Score
Everything begins at 12:00...Introduce team...Awards....Game... followed by BBQ(fundraiser for stadium enhancement)
Give us a report on that game, especially on the newcomers.

Reaction Score
Give us a report on that game, especially on the newcomers.
Game ended in a 5-5 tie.. Many Alumni were back such as LePaige, Nemeth, Barnes(did not play), Glynn,Andreoli(I think)..Would have been better if they had some sort of announcer.. None of the freshman pitchers threw....Pitchers who threw (I believe this was the order)..Ward, Mahoney, Healey, Jolin, Moore, Catalina, Cross and Butler. Standout freshman moment was when Vinny Sierra hit a line drive shot over left field wall. Overall imo...I think they have a real nice looking team. They had a few errors..but I think they have the talent and experience to contend for the Big East title.. Obviously losing Oberg will be huge..But maybe someone like Jolin or Cross can step into that role with their power arms.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. I do believe Sienna will play somewhere. Mazilli has 2nd locked and Verdi supposedly has the inside track for shortstop. Sienna will either play 3rd or DH, if he doesn't beat out Verdi at short.
Quick question is who played 1st and who caught. Those are the 2 positions we are very inexperienced at.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. I do believe Sienna will play somewhere. Mazilli has 2nd locked and Verdi supposedly has the inside track for shortstop. Sienna will either play 3rd or DH, if he doesn't beat out Verdi at short.
Quick question is who played 1st and who caught. Those are the 2 positions we are very inexperienced at.

David caught the first 7 innings..then McDowell....Melly played first the whole game..Testani(rf)..Ferriter(cf)..Yavarone(lf)..Sienna(3B)..Verdi (ss) ..Daniello(2b)...Mazilli didnt play..Paul(dh)

Reaction Score
Did Ryan Moore play. Heard he may be exclusively a reliever. thanks in advance

Reaction Score
Did Ryan Moore play. Heard he may be exclusively a reliever. thanks in advance
When Coach Penders introduced the team, I noticed he said RHP Ryan Moore...where last year was mentioned OF/RHP..Will probably focus on relief unless the problems arise or needs in the OF.

Sched:
Feb 15-17 Indiana(Dunedin),Purdue (St Petersburg), Indiana(St Petersburg)...my guess this was an error and should be Michigan
Feb 22-24 UCF Tourney.. UCF, Troy and Texas Tech .. all in Orlando
March 1-3 Stetson Tourney..Ohio State, Central Mich, Stetson all in Deland,FL
8-10 at Sam Houston St Huntsville, TX
12 at Central Conn St
13 at Secred Heart
15-17 at Presbyterian Clinton,SC
19 at College of Charleston Mt Pleasant, SC
22-24 Georgetown
26 at Hartford
29-30 at Seton Hall (DH on 29th)
April 1 Quinnipiac
2 Boston College
3 at Yale
5-7 St John's
9 Northeastern
10 Brown
12-14 at Villanova
16 Fairfield
19-21 South Florida
23 UMass
24 at Bryant
26-28 at Notre Dame
May 1 Holy Cross
3-5 at Rutgers
11-12 Louisville (DH on 11th)
14 at Rhode Island
16-18 at George Mason Fairfax, VA
22-26 BIG EAST TOURNEY Clearwater,Fl

mets1090

Reaction Score
March 22-24 Georgetown
29-30 at Seton Hall (DH on 29th)
April 5-7 St John's
12-14 at Villanova
19-21 South Florida
26-28 at Notre Dame
May 3-5 at Rutgers
11-12 Louisville (DH on 11th)
22-26 BIG EAST TOURNEY Clearwater,Fl

Condensed it to the Big East schedule for ease of reference. 24 games instead of 27 like I believe it was in past years. With 10 teams in the conference I'm surprised they didn't just keep it at 27 games, 3 against every team. Instead, we don't get to play Cincinnati who won a whopping 7 games in conference last year en route to a last place finish. In theory, this means that we have an inherently more difficult schedule than every other team based on last year's final standings. Of course Cinci probably won't be as bad and schools like GTown and Nova have been known to be cellar dwellers but it would be nice to not have to play say Seton Hall or Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Condensed it to the Big East schedule for ease of reference. 24 games instead of 27 like I believe it was in past years. With 10 teams in the conference I'm surprised they didn't just keep it at 27 games, 3 against every team. Instead, we don't get to play Cincinnati who won a whopping 7 games in conference last year en route to a last place finish. In theory, this means that we have an inherently more difficult schedule than every other team based on last year's final standings. Of course Cinci probably won't be as bad and schools like GTown and Nova have been known to be cellar dwellers but it would be nice to not have to play say Seton Hall or Notre Dame.
Actually Coach Penders said that the last weekend series was suppose to be against WVU. But since they pulled out of the Big East so quickly he had to scramble to find another team to play a 3 game series...and that's how we got George Mason.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
It sucks how we have to play mediocre programs like George Mason on the road, but I understand we have to do this for recruiting purposes. I'm sure the players don't mind...it must be fun to go to various areas of the country (and they'd better get used to it :D)

SHSU will be an interesting test. They typically play Rice tough.

Reaction Score
Interesting Holy Cross back on the schedule after that 1 year hiatus.

Penders should stop scheduling the Northeasterns and Browns, and move to some other programs like Stony Brook, C-USA teams, random teams out of the South, or some renew the old games against New Hampshire and Maine, love the annual games against BC though!

Also love playing each of CT-Schools, wish the Men's basketball program would go back to the old ways of playing at least one-instate school a year.

mets1090

Reaction Score
It would be cool if we could arrange a home and home with a solid Southern school. Not asking to play Florida (although that would be cool) but just someone from the SEC that is a solid Top 25ish type program. We could play them on the road in February or early March while they could play us in Norwich in late April or in May when most schools are done with Finals. That way our weather would likely be good enough for them to not scoff at the idea. I don't know how much doing a 2 for 1 matters in sports other than Football and Basketball that don't make as much money, but I think it would be worth it if it was necessary.

Have to think playing a big time OOC school in Norwich would easily sell out. FSU maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom