UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
Duplicate to Tom's post in the separate thread. 2016 Commit

West Springfield rising junior Conor Moriarty commits to University of Connecticut for baseball:
http://highschoolsports.masslive.co...y-of-connecticut-for-baseball/#incart_m-rpt-1

Nice article. By the way, the article mentions Peter Faste, which is a misspelling for Peter Fatse, as being involved with Conor Moriarty. Fatse is of course a former UConn outfielder who played for Coach Penders, and a further web search shows that Fatse is listed as the owner of this Advanced Performance Player Development (AP), the organization that Moriarty played summer ball with.

Reaction Score
Nice article. By the way, the article mentions Peter Faste, which is a misspelling for Peter Fatse, as being involved with Conor Moriarty. Fatse is of course a former UConn outfielder who played for Coach Penders, and a further web search shows that Fatse is listed as the owner of this Advanced Performance Player Development (AP), the organization that Moriarty played summer ball with.

@NickAhmed_: Congrats to @ConorM_24 on committing to play baseball at UConn! He is going to do big things down in Storrs! #FutureHusky

Reaction Score
Hey guys, here is what I have found out for commits for 2015 and 2016. From researching these guys it looks like a very good haul so far.

Tim Cate LHP Cheney Tech
Jack Lambrecht INF RI
John Toppa INF Bishop Hendricken RI
Dillon Malandro 1B Penn Charter NJ
Zach Susi C Southington HS
Liam Scafariello OF Southington HS
Alex Hintze LHP Oshkosh North
Michael Schwartz LHP NY

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great find. In addition, this list includes, Rossomando, RHP from Bunnell. P.J. Poulin a LHP from Tabor Acad., in MA. And. Connor Moriarity a ss from Springfield.

Reaction Score
Tim Cate had a spectacular soph season at Cheney Tech. Unfortunately , he had Tommy John surgery in Feb., and missed his junior season. Hopefully, he'll come back stronger than ever.

Reaction Score
The image of Pender's is changing. Been talking to some travel coaches and how their former players have been treated. The word is spreading through to ther rest of the travel teams. Every year players are being told their scholarships are being cut so they can pursue and offer more to others. They are being told they haven't lived up to expectations. Promises are being broken to players. Current players have little or no respect for coaches. It's a shame. I realize they want to have the best team possible, but they are not North Carolina or Texas. They can't continue to treat their players that way. I guess the athletic department has been made aware of some issues. Assume they have been called on carpet to answer to those items. We will see. Interesting to see each year more and more players not returning who were highly touted. I wonder who will be missing from this year's team...

Reaction Score
The image of Pender's is changing. Been talking to some travel coaches and how their former players have been treated. The word is spreading through to ther rest of the travel teams. Every year players are being told their scholarships are being cut so they can pursue and offer more to others. They are being told they haven't lived up to expectations. Promises are being broken to players. Current players have little or no respect for coaches. It's a shame. I realize they want to have the best team possible, but they are not North Carolina or Texas. They can't continue to treat their players that way. I guess the athletic department has been made aware of some issues. Assume they have been called on carpet to answer to those items. We will see. sicallyInteresting to see each year more and more players not returning who were highly touted. I wonder who will be missing from this year's team...
If Penders is guilty of anything, it's overestimating the talent/commitment of several players who failed at UConn. Most of those players who failed at UConn have been placed at schools where their talents are better served.
Basically, it's sour grapes for those who couldn't cut it at UConn.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with Yonick. Some of those kids that were cut had terrible attitudes or made poor decisions on and off the field that cost them and the team.

Reaction Score
Highly touted players who contributed that left the team early in recent years? I really can't think of any.

Reaction Score
From what ive heard christian colletti is transferring to a community college in florida. Mike Niego, Cody Olsen and David Mahoney (graduated and is burned out after giving the huskies 3 great seasons) are not returning for the Huskies.

also heard a transfer from the same junior college that Blake Davry came from (cypres in CA) is coming to UConn. Last name Duffin, dont remember first name will look it up. He is an OF who has a lot of power. Could add to the middle of the Huskies order. Will post youtube clips of him when im back on my computer.

Reaction Score
The message by BASE2014 concerns me as my son is considering UConn for baseball. Is there any actual confirmation about scholarships being cut?

Reaction Score
The message by BASE2014 concerns me as my son is considering UConn for baseball. Is there any actual confirmation about scholarships being cut?

My sense is he is referencing the % of the scholarship offer to an individual student athletes (i.e. full scholarship/partial scholarship, etc...) as opposed to the number of scholarships available.

Reaction Score
I understood that. My concern was with the alleged cutting of the % of the scholarship given, while players are at UConn.

Reaction Score

Knowing jim Penders as I do, I wouldn't put a lot of credence in BASE2014 comments. Penders is a straight shooter who really cares about his players.

Reaction Score
You read comments about incoming recruits and former players and all of them echo the same sentiment. They love the family culture the coaching staff has created and they like the coaches. And many of the former players come back during the winter to work out. I think BASE2014 comments aren't valid. Playing time isn't handed out, you have to earn it with your play and your character on and off the field. Some of the players that have left wasn't because of the coaches but because of the competition and they didn't have the work ethic or attitude to win a job. But placed the blame on the coaches because they couldn't get the job done on their own. That's why they opt to transfer not because their scholarship was cut.

Reaction Score
Several players, in recent years, discovered they either weren't talented enough, or didn't work hard enough, while at UConn. Most were placed in programs more suited to their talents/work ethic.
Most who enter UConn, and work hard, graduate, and many go on to play pro ball. Check the record.

Reaction Score
What I previously posted is the truth. I do not have an agenda or an axe to bury. I am just stating facts. I do not want to call out players by name. I will tell you currently there are players whose scholarships were taken away that were told their roster spot in the fall is in question(other than ones mentioned by ccj1201). There are players currently on the team (and successfully contributing) whose scholarships were taken away but have remained. There are players whose scholarships were reduced that have remained. There are players whose scholarships that were reduced and chose to go elsewhere. Obvisously there are players whose scholarships were taken away that have chosen to go elsewhere. I am not getting into who can or can not make the cut. When all said and done I understand it is a business. But I stand by my initial post.

Reaction Score
My best advice for Raisinhuskies, or anyone else considering playing for Penders at UConn is to question the current players. Also, those who have gone through the program (graduates, or those who left for elsewhere).
You can always . contact the old H.S. or AAU coaches to learn the real reasons why these players left.
That's more sound advice than taking the word of an anonomous poster who may, or may not have inside info. Or someone who may, or may not have an axe to grind.

Reaction Score
Here's a 2016 recruit according to PG Cross checker. He's Josh Loeffler a 5'9" junior to be at Manulus N.Y.
Don't know anything about him.

Reaction Score
Happy to announce that my son Chris Winkel committed to UConn and Coach Penders tonight. He is a 6'4" First Baseman who started for State Champion Amity HS in Woodbridge this year. It is anticipated that he will also be able to play can also play n also play OF).
He is a 2016 graduate
That's great Raisinhuskies. Amity has a great baseball program. Already 2 kids in the program.
Good luck to your son over the next 2 seasons at Amity. Look forward to seein him in '16.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom