UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
UConn baseball has had a busy time this past summer and fall getting future player commitments. Since announcements of baseball recruiting commitments seem to slow down at this time of year, I figure it is a good time to post a revised summary of players who have been reported on this thread to have committed to play for UConn baseball in the coming seasons.

2018 season

Christian Fedko – 3B/SS
Luke Broadhurst – SS
Andy Hague – 2B
Matt Bonvicini – 1B
Joe Simeone – RHP
Jarrod Melle – RHP
Colby Dunlop – RH
Angus Mayock – RHP
AJ Denny - LHP

2019 season

Patrick Winkel – C
Mike Yarin – 3B/OF
Will Lucas – SS
Kyler Fedko – SS
Adam Schwartz – OF/RHP
Michael Burrows – RHP
Tim Pfaffenbichler – RHP
Leif Bigelow – RHP

2020 season

Andrew Marrero - RHP

Reaction Score
Penders seems to be on a roll...

I was thinking that myself. This summer and fall, it seems the recruiting has been very, very good for UConn.

Another way of putting it is that between UConn baseball's four recent NCAA tournament appearances and the steady stream of Huskies being selected in the mlb draft, Penders and the coaching staff seemed to have reaped the benefits through their recent recruiting efforts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to Prep Baseball Report, Teddy Hague, brother of UConn commit Andy Hague and also graduating Amity Regional in 2017, is going to Yale. He may not be a UConn commit, but I thought that was worth mentioning.

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Teddy Hague
Know the Hague's very well. Great kids, great family. Both work extremely hard and should do very well at the next level. Andy Hague will likely move to 2B at UConn (he played SS at Amity last season). It will be interesting to see if Amity moves him to 2B, they have a sophomore SS they are very high on (Sebastian Formica) who saw some varsity time late last season. Both Hague's run very well. Teddy Hague is a left-handed P/OF, not sure which position he'll focus on at Yale. Teddy should be a key starter on the Amity pitching staff in the spring.

Reaction Score
Andy Hague played 2b at Amity last year (Brian Ronai - Yale recruit played SS). Question will be if Hague moves to SS this year or if they leave him at 2b.

Reaction Score
Andy Hague played 2b at Amity last year (Brian Ronai - Yale recruit played SS). Question will be if Hague moves to SS this year or if they leave him at 2b.
You are correct, Andy played 2B last season. I wrote what I was trying to say backwards. There is talk of him, possibly starting this season at SS for Amity.

Reaction Score
The UConn Blog has a piece on Husky baseball recruits signing their National Letters of Intent. It's an interesting article, although I wish the writer would have listed all the players who signed on with UConn along with the players who did not. I think there are some inaccuracies in the article (for instance, I think at least 8 players signed their letters instead of 7, and UConn baseball has 3 recruits next year that are from Pennsylvania, not 2). Despite my quibbles, there is still some good information contained in the article, particularly about the three incoming pitchers that the author talked to. One thing for certain, it would seem that pitching coach Josh MacDonald has a bit of a fan club among the incoming pitchers.

UConn Baseball Signs Seven in the Class of 2017

Reaction Score
One of the kids i'm most interested in is Colby Dunlap...

I saw him pitch when he was 15.. I had him and his big brother throw a pen... He was right in the mid 80's then and the changeup was raw as can be, but loads of potential. He was home schooled almost his whole life and doesn't come from much money, so he didn't really hit the showcase circuit that much - so I think like other NW CT guys, he'll turn some heads once people get a chance to see him.

Big school is an interesting choice for him personally, but I'm excited to see how it all comes together for him.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if football TE recruit Ryan Fitton is entertaining any ideas about also walking on to the baseball team? Assuming he plays this spring, it'll be his third year in a row as one of Staples' two best pitchers (along with UNC commit Ben Casparius - wish we'd landed him). He throws hard, has a great breaking ball, and a big body. I'm sure he'd be good enough to at least have a minor role in the bullpen down the road.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Kind of OT, but former 2017 RHP pledge Konnor Ash of IL has committed to Mizzou.

Reaction Score
Brendan C. Hall@BHallESPN 6 hours ago
St. John's Prep 2018 3B Mike Yarin just committed to UConn, per head coach Dan Letarte

Also a DB/RB on SJP's Football Team.

St. John's Prep 3B Mike Yarin commits to UConn
>>Yarin, considered one of the Bay State's top 2018 bats, started the spring hitting leadoff for the Eagles, before moving to the No. 3 spot a quarter of the way through the season. He totaled 23 RBI and hit .317 on the year as he played a key cog in the Prep's run to a second straight MIAA Division 1A State Final appearance. Yarin was also named a Catholic Conference All-Star for 2016.<<
One to keep an eye on:

Mike Yarin – QB / S – St. John’s Prep – Yarin stands 6’1″ and 180 pounds and has already committed to U Conn to play baseball. Another terrific all around athlete he played on both offense and defense last season and was utilized all over the field. Despite his commitment to U Conn, Yarin has indicated that he is open to being recruited for football and with his play this season he will likely attract interest from schools. Yarin displays great charisma and leadership from the quarterback position and this bodes well for SJP next season. Football highlights

Reaction Score
Guessing this is either Joe Simeone or Jarrod Melle training w/ Uconn Baseball Alum Austin Wasserman up in New Hampshire.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
UConn baseball has had a busy time this past summer and fall getting future player commitments. Since announcements of baseball recruiting commitments seem to slow down at this time of year, I figure it is a good time to post a revised summary of players who have been reported on this thread to have committed to play for UConn baseball in the coming seasons.

2018 season

Christian Fedko – 3B/SS
Luke Broadhurst – SS
Andy Hague – 2B
Matt Bonvicini – 1B
Joe Simeone – RHP
Jarrod Melle – RHP
Colby Dunlop – RH
Angus Mayock – RHP
AJ Denny - LHP

2019 season

Patrick Winkel – C
Mike Yarin – 3B/OF
Will Lucas – SS
Kyler Fedko – SS
Adam Schwartz – OF/RHP
Michael Burrows – RHP
Tim Pfaffenbichler – RHP
Leif Bigelow – RHP

2020 season

Andrew Marrero - RHP

Sorry for the bump but that 2019 class looks filthy, probably a top 25 class in the country.

Reaction Score
2019 is a top 75 ish class right now according to PG.

That 2019 class translates to 2020 season recruits on the recruiting list that is referenced above. So that current ranking is based on the two recruits that have committed to UConn to date.

According to PG, the 2018 class (2019 season) for UConn currently comes in at No. 43.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Michael Burrows is a 2nd team All American, according to those rankings.

Edit: And Patrick Winkel is 3rd team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom