UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score

PBR Pennsylvania
@pbrpennsylvania

Congrats to RHP Angus Mayock, No. 22 in Class of 2017, on committing to@UConnBaseball...prepbaseballreport.com/profiles/PA/An…pic.twitter.com/2mUy6cQ5Nc
12:49 PM - 30 Aug 2016
CrIcqTeVMAAIR3D.png:small

Twitter
By: PBR Pennsylvania @pbrpennsylvania

Now that's a big boy... 6-4 200lb @ 17 y/o Angus Mayock - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Reaction Score
Chad Knight just verballed to Duke. He just started his sophomore year at Staples.

Reaction Score
Today is Fall Scout day. Anyone able to give us a first hand report of the new players (an returning players)?

Reaction Score
UConn baseball recruit Christian Fedko is due to start playing in Storrs in the 2018 season. Christian has a younger brother who is also attracting Division 1 attention. Here's a feature on the two of them.
Fedko brothers make for tough lineup, strong bond for Vincentian baseball

Kyler Fedko ‏@KylerFedko4 42m 42 minutes ago
Blessed and humbled to say that I will continue my baseball and academic career at the University of Connecticut

Jeff Sullivan ‏@JSully12 44m44 minutes ago
Congrats to 2018 Kyler Fedko! Just committed to UCONN! High level SS made All-Tournament Team for NEB at 17U @PerfectGameUSA World Series.

Reaction Score

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Fedko and Schwartz look like great gets. Nice job.

With the younger Fedko committing in the same class as Will Lucas, it looks like we'll have some really solid infield depth for the first time in a while. Granted this past year was a success overall, but not having one single backup infielder able to play was a pretty notable detriment.

Reaction Score
Prep Baseball Report also lists Adam Schwartz as a right handed pitcher. At any rate, Jim Penders and his staff seem to be striking a nice vein of recruiting talent from Pennsylvania, with the Fedko brothers, Angus Mayock, and now Adam Schwartz.

As far as infield depth, it certainly looks like UConn will have no worries in that department in the coming years. That is indeed a welcome relief from what we saw last year. The Huskies have so many recruits coming in over the next couple of years that are labeled as either middle infielders or third basemen that I expect some of them will be shifted to the outfield, as Jon Testani and John Toppa have been in recent years. There is certainly nothing unusual in baseball with that sort of thing.

Reaction Score

Leif is a Class of 2018 6-3 160lb RHP from Brattleboro Union High School in Vermont.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Adam Schwartz - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA 2018 OF Adam Schwartz from Akron, PA -- chose UConn over Columbia, Duke, and Liberty.

Prep Baseball Report also lists Adam Schwartz as a right handed pitcher. At any rate, Jim Penders and his staff seem to be striking a nice vein of recruiting talent from Pennsylvania, with the Fedko brothers, Angus Mayock, and now Adam Schwartz.

Updated Article: L-L Baseball: Ephrata's Schwartz commits to UConn

>>“It’s a program built on hard work, similar to my high school program,” he said. “They have an excellent coaching staff. They treat players the way you want to be treated, with respect. That’s important to me.”

>>Schwartz said he is going to UConn as an outfielder first and pitcher second, similar to his role with Ephrata.<<

Reaction Score
Updated Article: L-L Baseball: Ephrata's Schwartz commits to UConn

>>“It’s a program built on hard work, similar to my high school program,” he said. “They have an excellent coaching staff. They treat players the way you want to be treated, with respect. That’s important to me.”

>>Schwartz said he is going to UConn as an outfielder first and pitcher second, similar to his role with Ephrata.<<

That's good to know. I had been wondering what his primary position would be.

This analysis from his high school coach says that Adam Schwartz is an excellent defensive outfielder:

L-L Baseball: League coaches select 'Sweet 16' All-Star team

Outfielder: Adam Schwartz, Ephrata, Soph. - .340 BA, 1 HR, 12 RBIs, .407 OBP; 12.2 IP, 12 Ks, 2 saves, 1.11 ERA.

“Adam was a huge reason for our success this season after moving from a corner outfield position to center field,” said Shelley. “He essentially anchored our outfield and strengthened us up the middle… demonstrated one of the strongest arms from the outfield that I’ve seen at this level… covered a lot of ground in a big ballpark. On the mound, he added considerable depth to our staff and was both a middle reliever and closer before becoming a starter in the postseason.”

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Beat out an ACC school and two mid majors with recent NCAA tournamwnt success for the PA kid- not bad at all.

The Vermont kid had a BC offer apparently.

The one sport that actually benefits from the AAC is baseball. Conference competition will be tough going forward, so recruiting will not be an issue. Now to convince some of the soccer fanatics to switch over to baseball...Penders is a much better coach than Reid, and home attendance needs to improve (although oddly we travel pretty well)

Reaction Score
Beat out an ACC school and two mid majors with recent NCAA tournamwnt success for the PA kid- not bad at all.

The Vermont kid had a BC offer apparently.

The one sport that actually benefits from the AAC is baseball. Conference competition will be tough going forward, so recruiting will not be an issue. Now to convince some of the soccer fanatics to switch over to baseball...Penders is a much better coach than Reid, and home attendance needs to improve (although oddly we travel pretty well)

Some of us UConn soccer fans already follow UConn baseball, but never mind about that. My own feeling is that UConn baseball attendance will improve some once a new facility is built. It will be a nice and fresh place to see a game, and there is something to be said for flush toilets on site.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom