Baseball Defense | The Boneyard

Baseball Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Errors continue at an alarming rate with no adjustments at all. The winning combination is pitching, defense, and offense. It appears as long as the hits come we live with results on the defensive side. 60 errors to date. We commit 4 errors against Quinnipiac? CCSU played them a couple of weeks ago and committed 5 errors in 4 games. If this does not get fixed, Louisville & Saint Johns will make us pay dearly.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
is our bench just thin considering what we lost last year, young guys aren't ready? seems like were playing alot of young guys tho. so were going with what we have and hoping for improvement instead of seeing other guys challenge for spots?

Reaction Score
Errors continue at an alarming rate with no adjustments at all. The winning combination is pitching, defense, and offense. It appears as long as the hits come we live with results on the defensive side. 60 errors to date. We commit 4 errors against Quinnipiac? CCSU played them a couple of weeks ago and committed 5 errors in 4 games. If this does not get fixed, Louisville & Saint Johns will make us pay dearly.
they have the yips.

Reaction Score
Call it whatever you may but they need to loosen up and play with some confidence and that should help improve the errors. This team does not play with a lot of emotion or confidence. When that happens, there is an attitude of indifference that develops especially when a player knows he is not coming out of the line-up if he hits and doesn't defend well.

Reaction Score
New players, or frosh, are at 3b, ss, 1b, lf, rf, & C. Under these circumstances errors will be frequent. At this point in the season, these errors will, hopefully, become less frequent.
These frosh can hit, however.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
1) If this team can get off to an 8-1 start in conference, albeit not against the top teams, with an attitude of indifference, I can't wait to see what happens when they are pumped up for the stretch run.

2) This team has showed flashes of the magic the last two seasons had. They haven't won in such dominating fashion, but in the last 2 weeks especially I have felt like they could come back in any situation.

3) This team is 19-13. They played very close to some very good teams early in the year. If they had won just 1 of those close losses (late inning loss to Miss. St.) and their game with Seattle wasn't cancelled they would probably be 21-12 which looks a heck of a lot better. And yes I know, if my aunt had balls etc. but that's not the point. The point is that the team has definitely improved from the start of the season. Assuming even average improvement in the fielding (which really just takes two or three consecutive games with good fielding to get rid of the so called yips), they have a shot at winning the conference or at least making a run in the conference tournament. The Big East simply isn't good outside the top 4.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
It's odd how this team has played so well vs. Oklahoma, Oregon State and Miss State, yet has stunk against the likes of BC and UAB. I know baseball will produce weird results, but our team is especially inconsistent. The bottom line is, we were 6-11 a few weeks ago and are now 19-13.

Reaction Score
It's odd how this team has played so well vs. Oklahoma, Oregon State and Miss State, yet has stunk against the likes of BC and UAB. I know baseball will produce weird results, but our team is especially inconsistent. The bottom line is, we were 6-11 a few weeks ago and are now 19-13.

I don't think that's inconsistency -- that's schedule. We played against teams from other regions for the first few weeks and lost more than our share. Since ending the barnstorming and coming back to the northeast to play, we've gone 13-2 against three bad Big East teams and the crap that is in our region outside of the Big East.

It's possible we've gotten better, but it's also possible the schedule just got much, much, much easier.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Even when we win, we are really inconsistent. For instance, I thought we played pretty good ball last weekend at Pitt, but yesterday's horrendous effort would have resulted in a loss had we played a top 200 RPI team. The fact that we won easily shows how bad Quinnipiac is.

You are right that the decrease in schedule difficulty has helped our record tremendously. Hopefully the selection committee is forgiving of our poor start, though we have a ton of work to do before even entering the "bubble" discussion for the tournament. We are quite a ways from entering the field as of today.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Hopefully if we find ourselves on the bubble they give us the benefit of the doubt and choose us. They let us host a regional as a 2 seed because college baseball is trying to extend it's reach into the Northeast. Who knows, maybe that could even factor in. I don't think it should, and publicly it won't. But it wouldn't surprise me given how the NCAA operates. It would be nice to continually benefit from the NCAA's shady dealings for one sport at least.

Reaction Score
Hopefully if we find ourselves on the bubble they give us the benefit of the doubt and choose us. They let us host a regional as a 2 seed because college baseball is trying to extend it's reach into the Northeast. Who knows, maybe that could even factor in. I don't think it should, and publicly it won't. But it wouldn't surprise me given how the NCAA operates. It would be nice to continually benefit from the NCAA's shady dealings for one sport at least.
You better call Lawrence Welk because we are not on the bubble after today's loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom