• Banshee

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Ray Donovan

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Two pretty similar shows with similar lead characters. Outside of Abby, I would say RD has the more talented cast in terms of acting. Banshee definitely has the more talented cast in terms of ridiculously attractive women.

Which series do you like better?

I'm halfway through season 3 of RD and I've caught up on Banshee, but I think Banshee is way more entertaining. I was surprised that it gets much better ratings as I thought Banshee was more of a niche show and RD was more mainstream (I only base this on billboards and bus ads - I see RD billboards and bus ads all the time and I don't think I've ever seen a Banshee one).

RD also leads in uncomfortable scenes that really bug me. Not uncomfortable because they are intense drama, but uncomfortable in that I know what is going to happen, know I don't want to watch and considering hitting FF.

I love one of the after episode interviews with the cast and directors and someone says, "There's violence and then there's Banshee violence." They do have amazing ways of killing people.

Anyway - which do you like better?

Reaction Score
Man jleves spot on critique ^^^^^^

I like Ray Donovan a little better as far as believable/acting ( a little mind you, especially with Abby ) but Banshee sure as hell is tough to beat on the entertainment scale for sure.

On another note the 2 guys from Strike Back on the same station as Banshee, have their own shows on TV now. One on PLAYER and the other on BLINDSPOT. Cinemax underrated!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ray Donovan is an excellent show that has inexplicably saddled itself with a couple of horrific character.

Worse, it insists on giving those characters plot lines.

I've added Ray's daughter to the "should be killed ASAP" list that already includes two of his brothers, his father, his wife and Tom Cruise's ex-wife.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought Ray Donovan had a great season this year. It is stretching credibility that the dad is not dead yet, but I even thought that the wife's character improved, and her banging his brother would be the first interesting thing that either of them have done in a while.

Cinemax shows are too Cinemax-y. Maybe I am getting old, but the gratuitous sex and cartoon violence is a bit boring.

Reaction Score
Man jleves spot on critique ^^^^^^

I like Ray Donovan a little better as far as believable/acting ( a little mind you, especially with Abby ) but Banshee sure as hell is tough to beat on the entertainment scale for sure.

On another note the 2 guys from Strike Back on the same station as Banshee, have their own shows on TV now. One on PLAYER and the other on BLINDSPOT. Cinemax underrated!

I am a big fan of both shows. Both in my top 5. Glad they are ending Banshee - can't really do much else with that.

Saw the pilot for Blindspot (which I was pumped for). Didn't do much for me.

Reaction Score
I thought Ray Donovan had a great season this year. It is stretching credibility that the dad is not dead yet, but I even thought that the wife's character improved, and her banging his brother would be the first interesting thing that either of them have done in a while.

Cinemax shows are too Cinemax-y. Maybe I am getting old, but the gratuitous sex and cartoon violence is a bit boring.

But if you are going to do gratuitous sex and cartoon violence, at least do it right. Which Cinemax does.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But if you are going to do gratuitous sex and cartoon violence, at least do it right. Which Cinemax does.

Who doesn't want more gratuitous sex in their lives? Nelson is getting old.

The show even manages to make you more worldly as a human being. I've never looked at Amish girls the same way since.

Reaction Score
BTW - anyone that complains about too much Lili Simmons...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ray Donovan finale could have done without the shootout with the Armenians. I don't know if it was a full-fledged shark jumping, but it was close.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Had not heard of Banshee until this thread and am now in Season 2. My only issue with this show is that you have to suspend some belief. Most of the murders go un-announced/noticed and the things Lucas gets away with simply could not happen. Rebecca Bowman (Lili simmons) and Nola Longshadow (Odette Annable) are both smokin' hot. On the Ray Donovan side, I keep watching because I'm a Liev Schreiber fan and I like the way Ray "influences" people.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Had not heard of Banshee until this thread and am now in Season 2. My only issue with this show is that you have to suspend some belief. Most of the murders go un-announced/noticed and the things Lucas gets away with simply could not happen. Rebecca Bowman (Lili simmons) and Nola Longshadow (Odette Annable) are both smokin' hot. On the Ray Donovan side, I keep watching because I'm a Liev Schreiber fan and I like the way Ray "influences" people.

The entire concept of the show requires you to suspend disbelief. Outlaw becoming sheriff without anyone being none-the-wiser just doesn't happen.

Ray Donavan finale stunk.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Actually you point out the main differences in the shows (at least for me). It seems that Banshee expects you to suspend belief in the bargain to entertain you. RD tries to be believable and makes that part of what they use to entertain you, but almost always falls short. Banshee knows it is ridiculous and plays on that; RD thinks it has managed believability and thus fails - often miserably.

I can't wait for the final season of Banshee and I'm trudging reluctantly to get to the end of season 3 of RD.

And as a final note, Banshee has the most uniquely funny entertaining character of either show in Job. Every scene he is in is gold. The scene when he is ragging on Sugar for doing his books with an old crank calculator was gold - I had tears running down my face.

Reaction Score
Actually you point out the main differences in the shows (at least for me). It seems that Banshee expects you to suspend belief in the bargain to entertain you. RD tries to be believable and makes that part of what they use to entertain you, but almost always falls short. Banshee knows it is ridiculous and plays on that; RD thinks it has managed believability and thus fails - often miserably.

I can't wait for the final season of Banshee and I'm trudging reluctantly to get to the end of season 3 of RD.

And as a final note, Banshee has the most uniquely funny entertaining character of either show in Job. Every scene he is in is gold. The scene when he is ragging on Sugar for doing his books with an old crank calculator was gold - I had tears running down my face.

Born right up the road in Plymouth MA - he's an excellent character and as you say laugh until you cry at times - LOL

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1229640/

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom