Ballers | The Boneyard

Ballers

Reaction Score
Season 2 is 2 episodes in. More of the same. Rock in sunglasses and suits. His dopey partner acting dopey. Stupid athletes doing stupid things. And hot chicks in little to no clothes.

So, I'm in again for this season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ballers = Entourage with better acting and a bigger name cast. Entourage was better overall because it came first and Ari Gold. Still, Ballers is mindless fun.

I miss The Brink.

Reaction Score
Ballers = Entourage with better acting and a bigger name cast. Entourage was better overall because it came first and Ari Gold. Still, Ballers is mindless fun.

I miss The Brink.

I miss the Brink as well. I thought it was pretty funny and stupid at the same time. Apparently that doesn't make a good TV show.

I can't see Vice Principals lasting more than 1 season as well. Brink is better IMHO.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"Ballers" is a pastime when I'm up feeding my 7 month old in the middle of the night. It's only a half hour and he's normally back down by the time it's over. Some of the parts are miscast in my opinion.

John David Washington is only 5'-9" but is trying to portray a receiver at least six inches taller. In episode 1,
he was looking for a 3 yr/$30M extension. Those are elite outside receiver numbers.

If they intended to portray Ricky Jerret as a slot, he should have been expecting a different number. I also don't think he'd get so many chances at redemption if he were a slot.

They other guy miscast is Omar Benson Miller. He is far too round to be an O-Linemen in today's game. Yes, Charles Greene was recently retired, but if a player is contemplating a comeback, he should still be in reasonable shape and working out. Also I think he is too much of a teddybear. Maybe that was the dichotomy the writers were going for, but the mean streak didn't translate during his tryout in season one.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I miss the Brink as well. I thought it was pretty funny and stupid at the same time. Apparently that doesn't make a good TV show.

I can't see Vice Principals lasting more than 1 season as well. Brink is better IMHO.
At first, I didn't think there was any way that Brink could last more than one season? They barely avoided WWIII with nuclear missiles. No way that happens over and over enough to keep it going and stay somewhat true to reality. Or so I thought. I'm very afraid for an America with Trump's finger on the button.

Reaction Score

I just read that Vice Principals was written to last 18 episodes (give or take). It's basically like one big extended movie and not intended to drag out into multiple seasons.

Reaction Score
"Ballers" is a pastime when I'm up feeding my 7 month old in the middle of the night. It's only a half hour and he's normally back down by the time it's over. Some of the parts are miscast in my opinion.

John David Washington is only 5'-9" but is trying to portray a receiver at least six inches taller. In episode 1,
he was looking for a 3 yr/$30M extension. Those are elite outside receiver numbers.

If they intended to portray Ricky Jerret as a slot, he should have been expecting a different number. I also don't think he'd get so many chances at redemption if he were a slot.

They other guy miscast is Omar Benson Miller. He is far too round to be an O-Linemen in today's game. Yes, Charles Greene was recently retired, but if a player is contemplating a comeback, he should still be in reasonable shape and working out. Also I think he is too much of a teddybear. Maybe that was the dichotomy the writers were going for, but the mean streak didn't translate during his tryout in season one.

That spoiler button was cool :)

Reaction Score
I thought episode 3 was good. The New Orleans "where's the love?" ending? Good stuff. I like seeing how Rock is veering towards doing things the "right way". That will eventually break him off from Joe, right?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I just read that Vice Principals was written to last 18 episodes (give or take). It's basically like one big extended movie and not intended to drag out into multiple seasons.

Seems like eastbound and down again ( which I loved) but I've only done one episode so far

Reaction Score
This show is such a guilty pleasure, I won't admit to anyone I know that I watch it haha.. I know it's not good, it's not unique, or even clever but it's mindless entertainment. I really root for Ricky, loved the New Orleans trip, he's Rod Tidwell 2.0

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
At first, I didn't think there was any way that Brink could last more than one season? They barely avoided WWIII with nuclear missiles. No way that happens over and over enough to keep it going and stay somewhat true to reality. Or so I thought. I'm very afraid for an America with Trump's finger on the button.

I think the problem with Brink was that the cast was big and there were multiple locations, making production complicated. I also thought the manic nature of the season worked well, but it could have spun out of control. Replicating that season was going to be hard, and given the production challenges, HBO packed it in.

Reaction Score
Ahhhhh Travis at #6! Good for him, a lot more there than the idiot they introduced us to at the start of the season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why isn't Ballers better? The premise is great, the cast is good, and the show has moments. Yet it is just completely average.

Reaction Score
It is entaining enough. Very poor mans Entourage with sports bent.

Coming after GOT may not help in terms of fan reaction to it. Going from off the charts great to Ballers helps to highlight its mediocrity.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is entaining enough. Very poor mans Entourage with sports bent.

Coming after GOT may not help in terms of fan reaction to it. Going from off the charts great to Ballers helps to highlight its mediocrity.

Maybe. I got behind and streamed 3 episodes in a row. This season has a great premise, a bigger role for their boss who i like, and good arcs by the side characters. It just feels by-the-numbers to me.

Reaction Score
It really is Sports Entourage where the base plot lines are thin beyond thin but seeing what it is like behind the lines makes you overlook it. The Rock is trying to get the NFL to Vegas? A failure financial advisor with a pill problem and wake of bad pub behind him is going to even move the dial a click on this? Never ever ever.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I tried. I wanted to. Entourage was a guilty pleasure of mine. This just doesnt grab me the same way. I cashed in last year.

Same. I watched the first two seasons and the first episode this season but haven't watch any more nor do I really care about doing so. Sucks cause I really like The Rock.

Reaction Score
Ballers has the opposite problem of entourage. Entourage great writing, bad actors. Ballers poor writing, average actors.

Plus Entourage had Ari Gold who carried it.

No great character like that in Ballers

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ballers has the opposite problem of entourage. Entourage great writing, bad actors. Ballers poor writing, average actors.

I like the cast a lot. There really isn't a weak link among them. 3 of the main 5 characters in Entourage flat out couldn't act, and even some of the supporting actors (Mrs. Ari) were pretty weak. But the show just had "it". Ballers doesn't have "it". It is just missing something, which is why it is just OK with a few good moments here and there. Entourage had one weak season, and its moments were spectacular. The "Welcome to the Jungle" episode is one of the funniest episodes of any comedy in history. Any scene on a golf course in Entourage was guaranteed to be awesome.

There is nothing like that with Ballers, and there should be.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It is a good cast, there just isn't much variety in what they do and most are storylines that we've seen on ESPN a million times. Coach/GM/Owner/Player don't get along; Players are dumb, blow their money, fail drug tests, hustling agent tries to fix it all.

It's Baywatch for the NFL and Baywatch will never be considered as good as Entourage which I didn't watch until after the movie came out. Then I binged the whole series.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I like the cast a lot. There really isn't a weak link among them. 3 of the main 5 characters in Entourage flat out couldn't act, and even some of the supporting actors (Mrs. Ari) were pretty weak. But the show just had "it". Ballers doesn't have "it". It is just missing something, which is why it is just OK with a few good moments here and there. Entourage had one weak season, and its moments were spectacular. The "Welcome to the Jungle" episode is one of the funniest episodes of any comedy in history. Any scene on a golf course in Entourage was guaranteed to be awesome.

There is nothing like that with Ballers, and there should be.

The best episode of Entourage is when they all took mushrooms with Eric Roberts and went to Joshua Tree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom