Balcomb to SC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Balcomb to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would've loved to see us play Duke again this year.. it's proven to be a fun game the last few years. We still have an open OOC slot to fill so that could possibly be filled with Duke but I highly doubt it will be the Blue Devils...

I would love to see it filled with a FSU, Miami, UVA, or a Big Ten team (especially Maryland)..
Maryland is a good choice. It seems that since the Sage of College Park now has recruited so well she's going to show us all how easy it is to win the NCAA. Frese is on my love to see lose list. I'd love to see both The UConn and The Dawn Patrol send her packin".

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I think this is a very thoughtful move by Dawn. When the news initially broke I was super excited for South Carolina. Since I committed myself to watching more and more of their games (watched nearly their entire season last year) & since I have SEC Network and never used it until SCar burst on to the scene I would love for them to get some sort of an offensive scheme going. Now, however; after reading that Balcomb can't have any contact with the players I'm a bit confused. How is she suppose to help?

Common sense says they need to be a better passing and foul shooting team (there's a free tip-- didn't even have to pay me). That would do wonders for the offense. Other than that all the other things that come to mind that are currently off with their current offense would need to be addressed in practice. I'm just not sure how Balcomb will help without being there. I mean I'll do the job since I already work in analytics... and for half the price... no a quarter of the price. She can refer to me as a consultant. I'll take my pay in a lump sum and then I'll just email her a list of things that will help them be more efficient.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Now, however; after reading that Balcomb can't have any contact with the players I'm a bit confused. How is she suppose to help?
The theory that is being floated has Balcomb doing her numerical machinations/ magic, advising Dawn directly, and not allowed direct contact with the player. I am not buying it either and just as confused as you.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
The theory that is being floated has Balcomb doing her numerical machinations/ magic, advising Dawn directly, and not allowed direct contact with the player. I am not buying it either and just as confused as you.
Yeah, I wish they would elaborate. From the release it says she is is only expected to be there for the 1 season (2016-2017)? Why? I mean, granted if it was gonna be one season and one season only that one might be the best one, since I think after that season SCar's window of opportunity for a championship narrows significantly; but was that because Balcomb agreed to this as a favor and as a means to build her resume and stack some cash, biding time while looking for new coaching opportunities or is it because they think they can install a new offense with Balcomb at arms length from the team in 1 season?

So many questions... I mean I have tons! One thing is for sure I cannot wait to see the results. Dawn said way back in 2013 they were installing a new offense. It has not changed yet. I have been waiting patiently and these new developments have me on pins and needles. I just wonder if you already have 3 assistants and none of them could help build the type of offense you wanted while being there and actually able to talk to and coach the team how successful is this set up going to be?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think Balcomb can attend practices, but not "directly" coach players. She can give guidance to Dawn and the assistants. A lot of the actual coaching is done by the assistant coaches; Dawn is certainly the top dog and does most of the in-game instruction, but she is a gold mine in terms of fan interaction. I give Dawn full credit for making us number one in attendance. If Dawn ran for mayor of Columbia, Steve Benjamin wouldn't have a chance at reelection; she is adored by our fans.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think Balcomb can attend practices, but not "directly" coach players. She can give guidance to Dawn and the assistants. A lot of the actual coaching is done by the assistant coaches; Dawn is certainly the top dog and does most of the in-game instruction, but she is a gold mine in terms of fan interaction. I give Dawn full credit for making us number one in attendance. If Dawn ran for mayor of Columbia, Steve Benjamin wouldn't have a chance at reelection; she is adored by our fans.
Exactly. And make a million notes (or, as many as she would like) and discuss them with Dawn.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Could this be like a long term traveling position. 1 year at SCar, then a year at TN, a year at Duke, a year at Oklahoma, and so on. Just travel around helping coaches with whatever area of the game they need. Now THAT would be a cool job.

Reaction Score

Why? That is exactly what she will be doing, per their own statements and per NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
after reading that Balcomb can't have any contact with the players I'm a bit confused. How is she suppose to help? . . .

all the other things that come to mind that are currently off with their current offense would need to be addressed in practice. I'm just not sure how Balcomb will help without being there.

She is supposed to help by watching the players in practice, watching video, etc and then giving advice to Staley on things like player development, tweaks in the offense, drills they might want to run, ways they might want to structure practice, etc. She is allowed to be in attendance at all practices and games. Just can't coach the players, other than through advice to Staley.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
She is supposed to help by watching the players in practice, watching video, etc and then giving advice to Staley on things like player development, tweaks in the offense, drills they might want to run, ways they might want to structure practice, etc. She is allowed to be in attendance at all practices and games. Just can't coach the players, other than through advice to Staley.

You're exactly right.

It's really not any more complicated than this. I don't understand the confusion here. Balcomb is an offense whiz, we need her advice so we hired her to advise. Simple as that.

Football programs (college and professional) have analyst positions on staff... this is very similar to that. I'm not sure whether or not this is unprecedented in WCBB... so maybe that's the source of the confusion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She had to take the job her unemployment benefits were running out and she needed health insurance coverage.:p

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Coach Balcomb will spend a year at SC coaching the coaches (especially offensive sets) while being unencumbered by chores like recruiting, booster coddling, or PR tasks. When not viewing film or whispering in Dawn's ear, she will spend time honing her resume so as to be primed for calls next March from frustrated (and potentially generous) AD's who have become disenchanted with a coach they just sent packing.

It's easy to identify several possible new addresses for Head Coach Balcomb by this time next year.;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Coach Balcomb will spend a year at SC coaching the coaches (especially offensive sets) while being unencumbered by chores like recruiting, booster coddling, or PR tasks. When not viewing film or whispering in Dawn's ear, she will spend time honing her resume so as to be primed for calls next March from frustrated (and potentially generous) AD's who have become disenchanted with a coach they just sent packing.

It's easy to identify several possible new addresses for Head Coach Balcomb by this time next year.;)
One of them, but it may not be next year, could be Rutgers. Jersey girl.

I never could figure why she was sometimes quite successful and sometimes not-so-much, as they say.

As to the title "coach", incidentally, both the Director of Basketball Operations and the Personal Assistant to CVS are (or were) called "coach _______" by the players. Both were former coaches, in fact one moved into a coaching position during a maternity leave situation for an actual coach. Its all in what they do and how they do it.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
One of them, but it may not be next year, could be Rutgers. Jersey girl.

I never could figure why she was sometimes quite successful and sometimes not-so-much, as they say.

As to the title "coach", incidentally, both the Director of Basketball Operations and the Personal Assistant to CVS are (or were) called "coach _______" by the players. Both were former coaches, in fact one moved into a coaching position during a maternity leave situation for an actual coach. Its all in what they do and how they do it.
Oh Balcomb @ Rutgers I like that idea.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She would precisely reverse my migration if she went to Rutgers next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom