Balcomb to SC | The Boneyard

Balcomb to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting. Nice move for both. SC gets an experienced coach, and she gets to recharge in a less demanding role as well as enhancing the resume with a possible final-4 level team.

For the first time we have a bit of an arms race on the coaching side with Vanderbilt and South Carolina both boasting very strong staffs.

Outside of UConn and ND, how many schools have better assistants than Dunn and Balcomb?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley said Balcomb will help the staff by providing analytical data about on-court performance. Balcomb will not coach the team on court."
Ok she was hired for her recruiting contacts in SEC, no?
Analytical data about on-court performance? What is your graduate assistant or the coach that breaks down game film going to be doing on the SC staff? Balcomb seems over qualified for this IMO.

Reaction Score
She will probably be doing reverse scouting. That's looking at your team as if you are the opponent and trying to eliminate weaknesses and tendencies that other teams will try to exploit.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Dawn has said consistently that since she has built a top class defense what the team needed was a top notch offense. This is just a win/win for SC. I love it. Smart move. Go Dawn.
Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley said Balcomb will help the staff by providing analytical data about on-court performance. Balcomb will not coach the team on court."
Ok she was hired for her recruiting contacts in SEC, no?
Analytical data about on-court performance? What is your graduate assistant or the coach that breaks down game film going to be doing on the SC staff? Balcomb seems over qualified for this IMO.
Well, maybe no. Balcomb will clearly be a one woman offensive oversight committee, and her experienced eyes will not be there just to view SC performances but the opposing team's. Analytics is best done by someone well acquainted with its minutiae, and perhaps Dawn current coaches aren't as proficient in the area of analytics.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Very, very interesting. Seems like a stop-gap position for her as it doesn't sound like her 'portfolio' is very demanding, unless she is taking part-time work in 'retirement'. Based on various reports she likely earned enough during her Vanderbilt career not to need to take another job for income.
That's the way I'm looking at it. My impression is that VU paid her a lot.

It sounds like an excellent part-time, quasi-retirement kind of job. I think I'm a little envious.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
she is known by all in the SEC as a great offensive mind. that's about it. i think SC will greatly benefit from having her on staff in that regard.
To your point and from her VU Bio:
"During her 20-plus years of collegiate head coaching experience, Balcomb has emerged as a renowned offensive strategist, and that reputation has been enhanced during her tenure at Vanderbilt. Her Commodore teams have finished in the top-50 nationally in field goal percentage in each of her 13 seasons at VU, including four teams that have finished among the nation's top four."
Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site - Vanderbilt University

Just wish SC would call this what it is. She is going to be trying to improve the SC offense. That would make her a COACH because you can't improve the offense without working with the players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She will probably be doing reverse scouting. That's looking at your team as if you are the opponent and trying to eliminate weaknesses and tendencies that other teams will try to exploit.
Not sure I have ever heard of "reverse scouting". Looking at your team and trying to eliminate weaknesses is called COACHING where I'm from which is the same place as Dawn and Geno. Has anyone ever hear of a "fulltime" analytical position on a WCBB staff?

Reaction Score
To your point and from her VU Bio:
"During her 20-plus years of collegiate head coaching experience, Balcomb has emerged as a renowned offensive strategist, and that reputation has been enhanced during her tenure at Vanderbilt. Her Commodore teams have finished in the top-50 nationally in field goal percentage in each of her 13 seasons at VU, including four teams that have finished among the nation's top four."
Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site - Vanderbilt University

Just wish SC would call this what it is. She is going to be trying to improve the SC offense. That would make her a COACH because you can't improve the offense without working with the players.

BINGO! we have a winner. that is exactly why she is there. to dawn's credit, at least she is both secure enough and smart enough to make that hire. great move.

Reaction Score

They can't call her a coach - because this job is not a coaching job. A team can have a max of three assistant coaches and SC already had three. In this job, she cannot work with players in practice. And in games, she cannot even speak to the players - only can advise Staley. To have any coaching contact with the players is a quick NCAA violation.

Further, she is not allowed to be involved in recruiting in any way.

This job is similar to what Gene Keady did for Steve Lavin at St. John's in recent years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They can't call her a coach - because this job is not a coaching job. A team can have a max of three assistant coaches and SC already had three. In this job, she cannot work with players in practice. And in games, she cannot even speak to the players - only can advise Staley. To have any coaching contact with the players is a quick NCAA violation.
Further, she is not allowed to be involved in recruiting in any way.
This job is similar to what Gene Keady did for Steve Lavin at St. John's in recent years.

Does not appear to be the case that Keady's was restricted from being involved with players or being on the bench at St. John's.
"He (Keady) would be such an asset to have around our staff, around our kids and on our bench." -Lavin
Lavin talks to Keady about role with St. John's.
I know the NCAA can be anal and a limit on the number of assistant coaches makes some sense but to control how a staff member interacts with a team during practice sessions is not something I have seen. Unless of course you are UNC and the academic advisors stop advising and actually start writing the papers.

Reaction Score
Notice Lavin said he would be an asset to have "around the kids", not coaching the kids. He definitely was not allowed to do any coaching of players. Of course there could be a little cheating at the margins - as long as no-one turns you in. One article accurately said "Keady's role is to coach the coaches. He is not allowed to tell the players how to practice, but he can tell Lavin and his assistants how to practice."

Another article described his role in this way: "The NCAA limits the number of assistant coaches a team can have, so Keady is officially an adviser. This is why he takes so many notes. He collects his insights, and passes them on to coaches later. He cannot talk to players in huddles during time-outs. He cannot walk over to a player during drills and correct footwork."

This is the same role that Balcomb will have. Note: no-one ever said Keady was not on the bench or that Balcomb cannot be on the bench. It's just that neiher of them can coach the players directly - or even speak to them during games.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Not sure I have ever heard of "reverse scouting". Looking at your team and trying to eliminate weaknesses is called COACHING where I'm from which is the same place as Dawn and Geno. Has anyone ever hear of a "fulltime" analytical position on a WCBB staff?
Right on all counts. Yet, a full time coach chief of analytics in WBB is just a matter of time.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think SC made it pretty obvious in her job title what Balcomb is going to be doing. She's the Director of Coaching Offensive Analytics. The good poster @stamfordhusky pretty much hit the nail on the head. This is a VERY good hire for SC. Dawn has known for years that offense isn't her strongest area, so she brought in somebody with 22 years of head coaching experience and an expertise in offense. It's important to remember that Balcomb is not an Assistant, she's not at SC to coach players. She's actually here to 'coach' Dawn and help her sharpen her offensive mind which in turn allows SC to become a better offensive team. Balcomb will analyze video, work closely with Dawn in creating sets and making our offense more efficient. Dawn has a well rounded staff, which allows her to be involved in so many things outside of GamecockWBB... Lisa Boyer runs the ship when Dawn isn't there, McCray is the primary recruiter (outside of Dawn) and Schmiel works mainly with the post players and practice/team workouts. Having Balcomb, a former Head Coach, will also be invaluable in helping Dawn run the actual program off the court.

Balcomb was handsomely paid at Vandy (nobody knows the exact number but it was rumored to be top 5 in conference) and she was there for 13 years, so coming to SC isn't a move for money. It's great for her because she gets to do what she loves, work closely with a HC on offense, without the other nuances of being a head coach..

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I always enjoyed watching Balcomb's teams and thought she was a good coach. But being a good coach doesn't mean you are a good recruiter. The new staff at Vandy will probably have much more recruiting success.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think SC made it pretty obvious in her job title what Balcomb is going to be doing. She's the Director of Coaching Offensive Analytics. The good poster @stamfordhusky pretty much hit the nail on the head. This is a VERY good hire for SC. Dawn has known for years that offense isn't her strongest area, so she brought in somebody with 22 years of head coaching experience and an expertise in offense. It's important to remember that Balcomb is not an Assistant, she's not at SC to coach players. She's actually here to 'coach' Dawn and help her sharpen her offensive mind which in turn allows SC to become a better offensive team. Balcomb will analyze video, work closely with Dawn in creating sets and making our offense more efficient. Dawn has a well rounded staff, which allows her to be involved in so many things outside of GamecockWBB... Lisa Boyer runs the ship when Dawn isn't there, McCray is the primary recruiter (outside of Dawn) and Schmiel works mainly with the post players and practice/team workouts. Having Balcomb, a former Head Coach, will also be invaluable in helping Dawn run the actual program off the court.

Balcomb was handsomely paid at Vandy (nobody knows the exact number but it was rumored to be top 5 in conference) and she was there for 13 years, so coming to SC isn't a move for money. It's great for her because she gets to do what she loves, work closely with a HC on offense, without the other nuances of being a head coach..
Go Dawn. If not The UConn this year, let's get a championship down there and real rivalry with Geno. A rivalry ain't no rivalry until the underdog beats the topdog. You guys gonna play those Blue Devils this year? If not, here's hoping for next year. Pound those Devils into paste.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Go Dawn. If not The UConn this year, let's get a championship down there and real rivalry with Geno. A rivalry ain't no rivalry until the underdog beats the topdog. You guys gonna play those Blue Devils this year? If not, here's hoping for next year. Pound those Devils into paste.

I would've loved to see us play Duke again this year.. it's proven to be a fun game the last few years. We still have an open OOC slot to fill so that could possibly be filled with Duke but I highly doubt it will be the Blue Devils...

I would love to see it filled with a FSU, Miami, UVA, or a Big Ten team (especially Maryland)..

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Does not appear to be the case that Keady's was restricted from being involved with players or being on the bench at St. John's.
"He (Keady) would be such an asset to have around our staff, around our kids and on our bench." -Lavin
Lavin talks to Keady about role with St. John's.
I know the NCAA can be anal and a limit on the number of assistant coaches makes some sense but to control how a staff member interacts with a team during practice sessions is not something I have seen. Unless of course you are UNC and the academic advisors stop advising and actually start writing the papers.
Think the Director of Basketball Operations. The position functions the same - they sit on the bench, can talk to the ref's during time outs, advise the coach (usually with stats), etc. Baylor's DBO Johnny Derrick has always been obvious on the bench (chubby older gent); Michelle "Ice" Edwards has been doing the job for Rutgers, etc. They can talk and interact with players, but not in an on-court situation, so as said, no "coaching".

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

imma act.jpg

Reaction Score
Coco I agree 100% on this.Something is definately not right.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would've loved to see us play Duke again this year.. it's proven to be a fun game the last few years. We still have an open OOC slot to fill so that could possibly be filled with Duke but I highly doubt it will be the Blue Devils...

I would love to see it filled with a FSU, Miami, UVA, or a Big Ten team (especially Maryland)..
Those big teams have usually filled their 'big' slots already by this point - it is much more likely to end up being a cupcake - but yeah, it would be great for you to get another challenging team on the schedule.

Reaction Score

You're thinking about this wrong Triad. At this point you need to view losses as one step closer to getting a new coach. (And wins as one step in the opposite direction.) It's like tough love.
UConn fans are familiar with this line of thinking as it pertains to a certain FB coach prior to the current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom