BAD NEWS AND GOOD NEWS | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BAD NEWS AND GOOD NEWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was just contributing to the conversation, not implying you approved of it, you made that very clear.

I don't mind if we take the opportunity to legally take a guy out by going low legally. That's football.

If we're able to run the ball half as well as that Broncos team, we're going to be in great shape.

Reaction Score
Coach Pasqualoni said all the right things, did all the wrong things.

Coach Diaco is saying all the right things.

I'm withholding judgement until the team plays.

Reaction Score
I was just contributing to the conversation, not implying you approved of it, you made that very clear.

I don't mind if we take the opportunity to legally take a guy out by going low legally. That's football.

If we're able to run the ball half as well as that Broncos team, we're going to be in great shape.
"Physical shape as well as mental shape"

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The best line in that (paraphrasing)

"We don't block corners, we block safeties. We don't block corners, we make them tackle 'cause they are as sh---y tacklers in our league as they are in yours." LMAO

When Tomlinson was at his peak and Lorenzo Neal was his lead blocker, Neal would often ignore the first guy and take on the next guy because there weren't too many times a season the first guy got LT in the open field or even really slowed him down.

Reaction Score
Coach Pasqualoni said all the right things, did all the wrong things.

Coach Diaco is saying all the right things.

I'm withholding judgement until the team plays.

Diaco is saying them differently, saying them better, bringing about improvements, and talking about his plan for the program.

Pasqualoni talked about recruiting a different size athlete and sucking up to CTHS FB coaches.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FWIW Alex Gibbs' version of zone blocking seemed to be closest to what GDL claimed he was implementing here. It also is a system that any view as being at a minimum borderline dirty.

I certainly hope that what we run going forward doesn't come within miles of resembling that version of zone blocking.

Reaction Score
FWIW Alex Gibbs' version of zone blocking seemed to be closest to what GDL claimed he was implementing here. It also is a system that any view as being at a minimum borderline dirty.

I certainly hope that what we run going forward doesn't come within miles of resembling that version of zone blocking.

Whatever the former OC was doing wasn't working, and that's all there is to that, really - for me at least. I don't particularly recall seeing anything that looked like a Gibbs offensive line. Doesn't mean it wasn't what the old fart was potty mouthing about all day every day for 2 years.

Cut blocks have nothing to do with zone based offensive blocking schemes or man, or what - it's simply a technique to get a defender blocked and when done properly as it's supposed to be done, it's not particularly dangerous at all. Gibbs has his rep, because he's specifically coached players to go for the knees when they are diving. Mike Shanahan too.

When a smaller player is up against a much bigger player, like say a RB against a LB/DE, the cut block may be the only tool they've got to get the job done. But cut blocking by itself has nothing to do with 'zone' blocking.

Gibbs zone scheme works so effectively, because he requires at least two blockers on the backside of a run play to cut block the backside defender either at the LOS or the second level depending on the zone reads. By doing that, it effectively neutralizes the natural advantage that a defense has in a non-QB run play, and that's being 11 tacklers to 9 blockers. The effectiveness of the running system is also based off the threat of a QB bootleg, or play action, either running or passing - because it freezes the safety as well for a split second. So you take at least two backside defenders out at the legs, freeze a playside safety with the QB read for a second, and all of a sudden, you are 7 v 8 blockers to defenders, and the play side zone matchups have pushed the defense into a small area of the field, and you've got the rest of the field spread open with running lanes. The RB's that flourished with those offensive lines in Denver, and then Atlanta and now Houston aren't particularly gifted RB's respectively, all you need is adequate speed and adequate vision and if you've got 9 guys that can block it, you can run to daylight all day behind that kind of blocking.

THe problem is that it's hard to find players that are willing to put the targets on their own backs with that kind of blocking week in and week out.

I simply prefer not to intentionally put targets on our own players backs with their play on the field.

Reaction Score
Good news: Our new OC has written book chapters on teaching inside zone blocking. Bad news: Our old OC has written book chapters on teaching inside zone blocking.

Here's some Alex Gibbs zone blocking. Watch the backside tackles and guards chop down the defenders. Ugly. This is legal, but it's ugly, cheap football. Watch at about the 2:45 spot or so and then watch the whole thing. Ugly IMNSHO

Here's a good clip if teaching inside zone right and left blocking. Howard University coach. He's got his lineman bringing the flippers. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53BKUwiBD58

Take a good look at this video, this is most likey is what you'll be seeing.
Hopefully without the cheap cut blocks on the backside.
FWIW, I'll be trying to teach this to grooup of little rascals (8-12yrs) this summer

Reaction Score
This is a technique based blocking scheme, that uses double teams to move the playside defenders off the ball up to the next level.
The Backside blockers should be taught to reach block the defender the same as the playside, only cut block if the defender is too far to reach or beats your block.
There can be some car crashes when the LB's and S's are coming down hill to break up the run.
But the blockers are taught to split all defenders in half in order to gain leaverage inside or outside.
The Olinemen should be taught to use their hands in a rather violent movement to the defenders chest to gain movement and leaverage.

Reaction Score
All I care is that whatever we do in practice, works on the game field. What our former OC was doing, was garbage. It's not worth calling whatever he was trying to implement anything else when it comes to systems/philosophy/strategy/tactics....etc....because it was nothing but garbage on game day. There is some kind of fear of zone blocking that emerged here and that's why I started writing. Probably a fear because the garbage that the former OC was doing, was labeled "zone" blocking.

Zone blocking concepts are widely used and accepted at all levels of football, and there are no time constraint issues with teaching it and coaching it, and it's not something "left to the pros" or where you have to recruit at some incredibly high exceptional level of athlete to do it. It actually fits well with the recruiting we've been doing for 2 years - theoretically. Time will tell how the players handle it all with new coaches. (there are time constraints with practice time in college football, when it comes to coaching and developing something like say....Two entirely unique base offensive packages for two different personnel groupings on offense, and then using them in games interchangeably....but I digress... )

The truth is that if you're blockers on the line of scrimmage have got concrete shoes, poor balance, weak head and hand placement - then cut blocks, and legal chop blocks.....and there are legal chop blocks.... is probably the best way to generate tactical advantage on offense, and systems don't matter - but if you can have some technical ability, and can stay upright across the board, you can do some good things on offense.

I'm hopeful that we don't have wide scope physical matchup and ability issues across the line of scrimmage in regards to our competition on the upcoming schedule. Only time will tell. It's been a solid 3 seasons now, that we haven't had big question marks around the offensive line, and I don't want it to go 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom