B1G | Page 87 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
http://www.dailycampus.com/sports/column-selfishly-helplessly-dreaming-b1g-1.3126853?pagereq=1

"Luckily, I am feeling optimistic, thanks to a reporter I was speaking to at the Rutgers game, so I am going to try and put a happy thought in your head.
I will graduate in May 2015, and by that time, the reporter I was speaking to thinks that UConn will be nearing a move to the Big Ten, if it has not happened already."

It looks like Gordon Gee is heading back to WVU as their interim president and will remain affiliated with Ohio State at the same time. One of the challenges for UConn to the B1G is to find a #16 to go with them as #15 to the B1G. If you are still "helplessly dreaming B1G", then perhaps Gee can press for a UConn and WVU tandem to the B1G?

http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/n/2013/12/0...io-national-higher-education-responsibilities

Reaction Score
Christ - WVU? No chance.

Just having some fun since the Gee to WVU news just came out.
I am well aware that WVU would never get a look for academic reasons.
However, UConn definitely an academic fit in the B1G in my opinion and a great addition from a basketball perspective to compete with the ACC and others.

Reaction Score
Going to the B1G hockey conference definitely will be a downside. The Hockey East is very nice.

Reaction Score
Some day... I will get a notification about this thread... And it will be because we've been invited to the B1G. Some day...
You know, recently I've become pretty zen about it. For reasons I can't explain--just hunches based off things said and the direction of the school in general--I really do think that the B1G will go to 16 with UConn in the not too distant future. Frankly, though, it is based on getting in the AAU (which, incidentally, praised UConn recently) and turning the football program into something respectable (which, perhaps dumbly, I don't think is too hard with the right coach).

Reaction Score
You know, recently I've become pretty zen about it. For reasons I can't explain--just hunches based off things said and the direction of the school in general--I really do think that the B1G will go to 16 with UConn in the not too distant future. Frankly, though, it is based on getting in the AAU (which, incidentally, praised UConn recently) and turning the football program into something respectable (which, perhaps dumbly, I don't think is too hard with the right coach).
I agree and have the same feeling? I think it's more than just any one sport in the CR war's....it's about politic's and money! Locking down the last few valuable school's for there market's for the long haul !! Uconn and maybe 1 more Fla school have to come off the board VERY soon IMO. I've been following CR very closely and can sense it, it'll be a great day here on "that day"!!!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Isn't it weird? I'm in the same place. My primary fear with CR is the destruction of the MBB program. With Ollie's performance out of the gate, I feel like we're in good hands. Come what may.

Reaction Score
Going to the B1G hockey conference definitely will be a downside. The Hockey East is very nice.

Yep, Minnesota, Wisconsin & Michigan are TERRIBLE hockey schools. That would be a tough pill to swallow...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yep, Minnesota, Wisconsin & Michigan are TERRIBLE hockey schools. That would be a tough pill to swallow...
Travel would be a bear for UConn. OTOH a charter jet to Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, and Madison would beat the snot out of a 7 hour bus ride to Orono.;)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think you're missing the point. HE is a bus league. The average must be about 2.5 hours for UConn. It's also a national powerhouse. The B1G has some incredible programs, but aside from PSU, not remotely drivable.

Reaction Score
Personally, I really do prefer the ACC and Hockey East over the B1G. Notre Dame and Boston College are Hockey East members. We'll see how much they miss us.

Reaction Score

And we have equally rated and accomplished competition in Hockey East right now between BC, BU, Maine, and UNH, with the added bonus of 8 of our 11 fellow league members being less than two hours from Storrs.

Just that alone is enough to make me prefer Hockey East for hockey.

The upside to playing in the B1G for hockey would be that we're playing in the B1G for football, not for hockey.

Reaction Score
And we have equally rated and accomplished competition in Hockey East right now between BC, BU, Maine, and UNH, with the added bonus of 8 of our 11 fellow league members being less than two hours from Storrs.

Just that alone is enough to make me prefer Hockey East for hockey.

The upside to playing in the B1G for hockey would be that we're playing in the B1G for football, not for hockey.

Exactly. There is no downside.

Reaction Score
I guess I'd be down with the Moscow Huskies. Or we moving to a Siberian city?

Reaction Score
http://www.dailycampus.com/sports/column-selfishly-helplessly-dreaming-b1g-1.3126853?pagereq=1

"Luckily, I am feeling optimistic, thanks to a reporter I was speaking to at the Rutgers game, so I am going to try and put a happy thought in your head.
I will graduate in May 2015, and by that time, the reporter I was speaking to thinks that UConn will be nearing a move to the Big Ten, if it has not happened already."

I was reading that article! Does it sound promising??

Reaction Score
I was reading that article! Does it sound promising??
He sounds very hopeful and optimistic but quite young? I hope the reporter he spoke with has some "juice" or better wisdom/knowledge than most of us BY posters? Yet I feel a lot like what he said was inevitable about UConn to the B1G sooner rather than later so it rings true to me at least HuskyDogArt !?!

Reaction Score
Hopefully the person he was talking to wasn't some sophomore writing for Rutgers' school newspaper.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the person he was talking to wasn't some sophomore writing for Rutgers' school newspaper.
Yeah, I wish he would divulge the reporter by name? I'd feel much better about the post!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He sounds very hopeful and optimistic but quite young? I hope the reporter he spoke with has some "juice" or better wisdom/knowledge than most of us BY posters? Yet I feel a lot like what he said was inevitable about UConn to the B1G sooner rather than later so it rings true to me at least HuskyDogArt !?!

It's not like the Daily Campus or other student newspapers reports are given different credentials or segregated from "real" journalists in the press box. There is no reason to believe the "source" was a fellow student reporter from the Daily Targum. Writing for the DC (and I'd imagine other school publications) is just like writing for an actual news source. Many networking contacts develop this way. I am also not surprised Mr. Fontenault concealed his source. At the end of the day it is speculation and it could come back and kick the source in the butt if it does turn real.

Also, I'm, 95% certain that the source wasn't a sophomore from Rutgers. At least at UConn, the football and basketball beats (both men and women) are choice beats and the most true to real life. My college roommate was a Sports Reporter for the DC, he got field hockey as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Tim Fontenault is on par with Kevin Duffy covering the football beat...unlike the other 3!

Reaction Score
husky25, it was 90% joke and 10% serious.
I used to write for the daily campus for a couple of years, and my first story was covering the equestrian team (is there still one at UConn?)
They do make you earn your stripes. Neil Ostrout was my editor, great guy. He even let me cover the final whaler year in 1997 instead of using the AP feed - as long as it didn't interfere with my UConn responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom