B1G TV Negotiations | Page 10 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

Reaction Score
Okay, so what does this mean for us and CRA?
It means that there is no need for the B1G to ever expand, along as sports fans are held hostage to subscribe to conference networks as part of sports packages.

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head, if you factor in everything, I think each B1G school will get somewhere around $45 million per year when the new agreements take effect.
numbers from nebraska board:

First-tier rights (full members) $31.4 million (440million/14)

Other rights and BTN ~$12.5 million

College Football Playoff $4.7 million

NCAA distribution $4.4 million

Big Ten Tournament and Championship Game $740,000

Total ~$53.75 million/year

Reaction Score
Maryland and Rutgers will not be equal members at the start of this agreement, as they will still be in their "phase-in" period. Nebraska will be an equal member at the start of this new agreement. So whatever the numbers are, 12 schools will receive equal shares, with Maryland and Rutgers receiving less initially, but their shares increase annually until the 4th year of the new deal when they will also be equal members.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Maybe there is no college sports media rights bubble, and it's just a matter of stratification. #Power2

Reaction Score
Maryland and Rutgers will not be equal members at the start of this agreement, as they will still be in their "phase-in" period. Nebraska will be an equal member at the start of this new agreement. So whatever the numbers are, 12 schools will receive equal shares, with Maryland and Rutgers receiving less initially, but their shares increase annually until the 4th year of the new deal when they will also be equal members.

Maryland's share goes down from the $35 million it recieved last year down to 50% (IIRC) of the previous number then it'll shoot up to the ~$50 million or so of the new contract in 20-21.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It means that there is no need for the B1G to ever expand, along as sports fans are held hostage to subscribe to conference networks as part of sports packages.

Yeah, it took me a few hours today to come to the same conclusion.

So the B1G door is firmly shut for us and anyone through 2025 or so. Crap.

The ACC network build out is last ray of hope and its a tiny one at that (ND fully commits requiring a #16).

Maybe its time to seriously campaign to be the doormat and northeast cable box gateway for the SEC. Yes, I have the SEC network, but it has no pricing power at this time north of Washington DC. UConn to the SEC is as plausible as all the others at this point (which is near nil).

Reaction Score
$54M a year.... My god. FSU and Clemson making less than half of that in the ACC - they are not going to be happy.

Reaction Score
ouch...
you want to cry when you think Uconn is making 1/20th of that (Uconn, meet Mr. Ben Dover)

Reaction Score
Losing GE hurts. Is it possible that Aetna and Cigna are next?
how long before Uconn is forced to try legal action to force its way in (ala Utah)...
Revenues in the state are drying up real fast.

Reaction Score
Northwestern and Rutgers (once it is a fully equal partner) will be making more money per year than Texas even with the Longhorn Network!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm going to vomit. What an injustice. Criminal!

Reaction Score
I'm going to vomit. What an injustice. Criminal!
It will take a grass roots effort. Someone, perhaps in the state government will need to lead to get the BTN off of cable networks in states without a Big Ten team. Or groups of individuals will need to aggressively lobby their cable companies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It will take a grass roots effort. Someone, perhaps in the state government will need to lead to get the BTN off of cable networks in states without a Big Ten team. Or groups of individuals will need to aggressively lobby their cable companies.

Why would anyone do this? If you don't want to watch the station you don't have to.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Northwestern and Rutgers (once it is a fully equal partner) will be making more money per year than Texas even with the Longhorn Network!
I'm fine with that.

Reaction Score
FranktheTank belongs in non-key tweets. This could be the dumbest tweet yet.

I think he is just saying that any demands that Texas and ND might have are likely within range now without much of it coming out of the pockets of current members.

Reaction Score
It's not a coincidence that the next B1G contract will expire around the time the current GOR's are set to expire.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone do this? If you don't want to watch the station you don't have to.
You are PAYING for them by having them included by requirement for a "sports package" whether you want to or not. By paying for them, you are supporting conferences that have excluded UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are PAYING for them by having them included by requirement for a "sports package" whether you want to or not. By paying for them, you are supporting conferences that have excluded UConn.

It's like ten cents a month. I also am paying for the SEC network, PAC12 network..... If you don't want to fund conference realignment then shut off your cable but it's bizarre to worry about the dime a month that goes to the BTN - subscribing doesn't mean they add the team you support to the league it means you get to watch their broadcasts.

This whole idea UConn was a candidate for the Big Ten is pretty much completely cooked up by a few dozen people on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
This whole idea UConn was a candidate for the Big Ten is pretty much completely cooked up by a few dozen people on the Boneyard.

Only because we didn't get our act together and apply for AAU like 10 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom