Auriemma says it's time for UConn fans to embrace football (Elsberry) | The Boneyard

Auriemma says it's time for UConn fans to embrace football (Elsberry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.greenwichtime.com/uconn/...015.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

>>And while the program, has stumbled of late, Auriemma gets goosebumps thinking about what might happen if success returns -- and this time, stays.

"If that ever gets to its potential, I mean, forget it. I can't even imagine what that would be like," he said. "And I think it's time for our fans to kind of really embrace that. I don't know if they realize this but when I got here, obviously, our fans didn't embrace women's basketball, we had to win to prove it. I get it."

"But our men's basketball program was selling a lot of tickets for a team that was just OK. That Field House or the old Hartford Civic Center at the time, there were a lot of people going to those games for a team that was just OK. And everybody around the country saw that and went, `Wow, that fan base is unbelievable for a team that's just OK. What's it going to be like when they get good?'

"And then all of a sudden we got good and look what happened. The men won the NIT and it just blew up. Well, I think it's a two-way street. I don't think you can sit at home and go, `Well, if they go 9-2, I'll go watch them play.' I think we have to show the rest of the country that we have a great fan base and then when we get to be really good, it's going to blow up. But it can't be, `Let's wait until we're really good and then we'll blow it up,' it can't happen like that. That's not how it happened for basketball and I think we should embrace the football program just like we did basketball 20-some years ago."<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Keep pumping articles out like this. If it doesn't already exist, than there should be a fund set up where people can donate money directly to subsidize season tickets for low income fans. Get the stadium packed every game and make it the loudest stadium in college football.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I half-wondered if they should have held the basketball celebration at the spring game or somehow worked it in.

Probably a bad idea given that it would have left 100,000+ out of the celebration, but if we could have had 40k captive to what amounts to a football informercial...

Reaction Score
At the victory rally in Hartford he also talked about selling out games. He really seems to get it with regards to CR. Perhaps he sees women's basketball also facing some issues if they are in a league like the AAC that has zero competition.

Reaction Score
I half-wondered if they should have held the basketball celebration at the spring game or somehow worked it in.

Probably a bad idea given that it would have left 100,000+ out of the celebration, but if we could have had 40k captive to what amounts to a football informercial...

God bless you Fishy.

Reaction Score
At the victory rally in Hartford he also talked about selling out games. He really seems to get it with regards to CR. Perhaps he sees women's basketball also facing some issues if they are in a league like the AAC that has zero competition.
You mean like they were back in the Big East again 20 years ago? We built that league, and we can build another.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Women's basketball isn't for me but, man, the things he says about football and conference realignment is spot on. Can somebody make sure that this is posted on the Women's board? Football needs support from ALL UCONN fans and their support is equally important in the coming years. Need the Rent to be packed.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Women's basketball isn't for me but, man, the things he says about football and conference realignment is spot on. Can somebody make sure that this is posted on the Women's board? Football needs support from ALL UCONN fans and their support is equally important in the coming years. Need the Rent to be packed.
Will do.

Reaction Score
I'm a casual football fan... but I know this, I will be supporting UConn football much more from here on out.

This is what it's going to take. Casual fans taking the next step

We are the North Pole of the AAC and while this would not be the case in the BIG or ACC (BC taking the pole) the thing about being a football fan is being able to take on the elements and not turn tail and leave an empty seat for our home games. Being out in the cold for 4 hours is a real test. I hope we can fill the Rent for the first 5 games but getting fans to show up in early December is always a challenge. Welcome aboard uconnsouth.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't say much that isn't well thought out, or for a reason.
Actually, he shoots his mouth off more often than not but what he does say comes from the heart. Geno's a big UConn football fan. He was at that double overtime game at Rentschler when the Huskies beat Pitt and told reporters he lost his voice yelling for the team. He's often at home games and not just to be seen but because he wants to be there.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The reality of UConn's situation is that folks who support women's hoops only (or m & w) can help their programs by supporting football. Selling out football games, 30k+ season tickets, strong traveling contingent, thoughts of stadium expansion - these are things that are going to help buoy perception that we're fit for a P5 spot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That was my issue. Taking a celebration for a great bunch of winners and reducing it to an infomercial. No sale.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There also seems to be a great unity between the leaders of "The Big Three" (football, men's bball, and women's bball). I think that's really going to help us a lot as we move into the future. Things like Diaco doing press conferences in Geno's restaurant, or Kevin and Geno ringing the bell in the Stock Exchange. Husky Nation is large...but not so large that we don't need all of our segmented fanbases to unite. And I think the university has the right three guys for the job. Let's keep planting those seeds!!!

Reaction Score
Everybody understands that without getting people in the football stands, no matter how many basketball championships, we are treading conference water. Need 28K Season's Tickets and a sold out game vs. Army. Too bad nobody paid attention 5 years go.

Reaction Score
We are the North Pole of the AAC and while this would not be the case in the BIG or ACC (BC taking the pole) the thing about being a football fan is being able to take on the elements and not turn tail and leave an empty seat for our home games. Being out in the cold for 4 hours is a real test. I hope we can fill the Rent for the first 5 games but getting fans to show up in early December is always a challenge. Welcome aboard uconnsouth.

The Giants and Patriots do it. It is theoretically possible.

Reaction Score
Support for UCONN Football is critical now more so than ever before. The world already knows that UCONN Fans will support basketball. This has been proven over 20 + years, yet sadly you are still stuck in The AAC. I realize much of the reason for this has to do with politics and economics, but your football program has not helped your case.

Turn it into a point of strength for UCONN as a potential candidate. Conference commissioners and university presidents will be watching UCONN among other schools this coming season. If week in and out you are delivering a good product on the field, and putting asses in the seats people will take note. If your fan base does not support the team, it will be a lot harder to convince those in positions of power, that you will add to their pie not take from it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Giants and Patriots do it. It is theoretically possible.

Buffalo puts a fair number of people in the seats too for being a small place located in Siberia.

And the Jets...oh wait. Never mind about the Jets.

Reaction Score
Support for UCONN Football is critical now more so than ever before. If your fan base does not support the team, it will be a lot harder to convince those in positions of power, that you will add to their pie not take from it.

You've just clearly stated our number one challenge. Bottom line, we need to win games and promote the enjoyment of attending a college football game at The Rent. The good news is we now have the coach, AD and President who all understand the mission. I'm betting on us to make it happen.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yup. Agree with everyone here. The other "basketball schools" do not have to worry about this because they've been grandfathered into a better conference, deserved or not. UCONN is "new money" in the football sphere and our fanbase really has to step up this year and in the coming years in support of the football program. The good news is that we've already done it before Paul Pasqualoni's tenure...we just need to do it again. Rich1122 hit the nail on the head with this:

Everybody understands that without getting people in the football stands, no matter how many basketball championships, we are treading conference water. Need 28K Season's Tickets and a sold out game vs. Army.

Our basketball programs can both win the next decade worth of National Championships and we could still be stuck in the AAC for many years. Need proof? We already have won over 50% of the combined basketball championships in the last four years (the same time as bigger/better conferences have expanded) and we have been passed over by the ACC and B1G in favor of inferior academic schools (Louisville) and athletic departments (Rutgers).

Many of us here have rooted for UCONN basketball a lot longer than UCONN football and for good reason...UCONN football doesn't have the history of our basketball programs. Under Randy Edsall, UCONN fans supported football with packed stadiums, a good season ticket base, and a healthy amount of tickets sold to bowl games and away games. Randy left and our old regime decided on a "safe" hire to replace him. We all know what happened afterward in the past 3 seasons: a declining product and declining fan interest. Because of this, we have only been hurting ourselves. Unfair? Absolutely. Most UCONN fans weren't happy with the decision to hire Paul Pasqualoni and many lost interest in the program as a result. Ironically, we have been penalized twice by the bad hire. Well, "ding dong!" the old regime is dead! There is excitement with the football program again. UCONN football has a pulse again and the commitment and love for our state U is also back.

I think the message needs to be said and said again through the spring and summer: UCONN fans need to rally together and support football. If you are a fan of basketball (men's or women's or both), soccer, baseball, or just concerned with how conference affiliation may affect UCONN academically, then it is absolutely critical to support football. UCONN will not be invited to the ACC or B1G (or any other bigger/better conference) until our football program improves on and off the field.

If you have the means and are able, if you are like me and already have football season tickets, try to get friends/family to a game or two this season. Consider adding a seat to your existing season ticket package. Take a look at the football schedule and plan a trip or two to go to a road game. Gather as many friends/family as you can and buy tickets to our game at Yankee Stadium (Saturday Nov 8, 3:30PM) against Army.

If you have the means and are able and you do not already have football season tickets, consider buying a package. Gather as many interested friends/family. If season tickets are not an option, consider picking a few home games on the schedule and buying up a few individual game tickets. Consider buying tickets to the game against Army at Yankee Stadium (Saturday Nov 8, 3:30PM) or planning a trip to watch a road game.

If you do not have the means and/or are not able, you can still support the school by proudly wearing your UCONN gear out and about and watching games on TV. Follow the team and engage in conversations to spread the word (here or other places).

I've had season tickets since Rentschler Field opened. I've sat and watched games from every part of the stadium. There is not a bad seat in the entire stadium. Whether you are in the last row of the second deck or 5th row of the first level, you will be able to enjoy the game and see everything. Dollar for dollar, you won't find many better entertainment values out there. Whether you are available for a full day of tailgating and football or just available for the football, ticket prices are VERY reasonable in comparison with other entertainment options.

Geno is absolutely right. UCONN will not be able to leave the AAC until we all rally behind football. Last season, the atmosphere for the game against Michigan was electric and our players responded as past UCONN teams responded to when our fanbase is energized in our support. A 3-win team playing under a lame duck coach almost (should have!) beaten a ranked (at the time) Michigan team. It's further evidence that our support can go a LONG way in improving the on-field product...probably more so than we even realize. Just like our basketball teams, when our football teams plays in front of a sold-out and loud stadium, they play better.

The sooner we all come together in support of football, the sooner our case will be strengthened to get an invitation from the ACC or B1G (or other power conference). This means better and more interesting games in all of our sports and the ability by our athletic department to continue to fund our athletic programs to maintain the level of excellence that we have supported, especially basketball.

In summary: support football. Please. Go UCONN!

Reaction Score
As I just noted on the women's b-ball board : The football parents/families/friends got organized years ago and have their regular tailgates and area close up to the stadium. The football alumni in recent years are getting a bit organized, and have their camps set up - across the street. (Would be nice to get them closer to the stadium too)

It just makes sense that the Boneyard should get organized and plant a flag somewhere around the stadium too. Odd that it hasn't happened yet, really. I remember lots of talk around here before about making some kinds of flags to fly or something to signify boneyard. What really should happen is that somebody step up and claim - like say the front rows of the grey lot - for the boneyard.

Somebody just needs to step up and make it happen. Plant a flag somewhere around the stadium for boneyarders. I'm pretty sure that Geno basically made that kind of challenge, without saying so directly. We've got thousands of people around here that are registered and read and write.

I'm going to guess, and predict, that if there was an organized place - where men's and women's b-ball boneyarders knew that they could go - prior to games, and be with other boneyarders - that they may be much more inclined to buy tickets and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom