Attendance and Unsportsmanlike penalties | The Boneyard

Attendance and Unsportsmanlike penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Random observations watching football today about 2 topics that seem to dominate around here.

- There are entire empty sections in Indiana and Syracuse for Saturday afternoon games against #1 Clemson and #14 Michigan. So the hysteria around here about our fans, attendance, leaving early especially for a Friday night game vs ECU kind of rings hollow.

- UNC had taunted Miami on almost every touchdown (they have 44 points) and has not been flagged once for unsportsmanlike. When UConn shows any emotion on that rare occurrence we have a big offensive play we usually have been flagged. This is one area where I think Palatine has been right. It depends on the team. No consistency.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Completely agree on the 2nd point. The big brand teams have some of the most obnoxious gestures after their touchdowns. I've seen the "feed me" gesture with a direct taunt go uncalled a couple times. . One penalty that I thought should've been called was in the SMU vs. Temple game. When temple got a TD in the 4th the receiver did a "Giddy-up" taunt across the end zone. Sometimes it feels like AAC refs being AAC refs but sometimes it really feels like P5 vs G5 out there with the calls.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Couldn't believe it when they zoomed out and showed the crowd at IU. Regional conference game against a top 15 team? Their stadium isn't huge either; only about 53k

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
LOVE the atmosphere in Houston tonight. Crowd looks full and completely red. It should - they have something HUGE to play for. That's one of our competitors for a P5 invite and they're fulfilling the perception that college football at Houston can and should be big time.

The unsportsmanlike penalties drive me nuts. I've even seen a couple of other teams kick footballs when plays are dead and they go unflagged. Nebraska had 3 players pose for a "selfie" after scoring a TD tonight against RU (although it was called back after review). No penalty. They must've held that pose for over 5 seconds.

Reaction Score
Random observations watching football today about 2 topics that seem to dominate around here.

- There are entire empty sections in Indiana and Syracuse for Saturday afternoon games against #1 Clemson and #14 Michigan. So the hysteria around here about our fans, attendance, leaving early especially for a Friday night game vs ECU kind of rings hollow.

- UNC had taunted Miami on almost every touchdown (they have 44 points) and has not been flagged once for unsportsmanlike. When UConn shows any emotion on that rare occurrence we have a big offensive play we usually have been flagged. This is one area where I think Palatine has been right. It depends on the team. No consistency.

I get it, people like to see Miami suffer, but the U that gets turned upside down and turned into a crotch grab is the type of thing that led to these celebration and taunting penalties being created in the first place. But it's the ACC, and that's just how it is in that hillbilly league.

Reaction Score

I really think it's the AAC officials that are tough on unsportsmanlike - I don't think there's a team bias but rather it's a major point of emphasis for the AAC crews.

Reaction Score
There was a trick punt for Syracuse that would have failed horribly if not for a Clemson pass interference, and a Cuse player was clapping right in the Clemson playerplayer's face, that had it been us it easily would have been 15 yards.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I really think it's the AAC officials that are tough on unsportsmanlike - I don't think there's a team bias but rather it's a major point of emphasis for the AAC crews.

The AAC crew at the Houston/Memphis game missed a clear taunt by the Houston WR after he scored their first half TD. Walked over to the DB on the ground and stood over him.

Reaction Score
Indiana and Syracuse can have empty seats but that's no excuse for UConn Nation not to show up en masse. You want to be one of the big boys and play with the big boys then you need to represent like the big boys. That's one of the knocks on UConn and one reason why they aren't in the ACC right now.

Reaction Score
weyuo said:
Indiana and Syracuse can have empty seats but that's no excuse for UConn Nation not to show up en masse. You want to be one of the big boys and play with the big boys then you need to represent like the big boys. That's one of the knocks on UConn and one reason why they aren't in the ACC right now.

Please cite where Clemson and FSU objected to our attendance when they pushed for Louisville.

Reaction Score
There was a trick punt for Syracuse that would have failed horribly if not for a Clemson pass interference, and a Cuse player was clapping right in the Clemson playerplayer's face, that had it been us it easily would have been 15 yards.
To be clear. It would have been offensive pass interference and taunting on UCONN.

Reaction Score
We had been averaging probably 38k fans for years leading up to the last realignment with a few 400 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom