Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm trying to inform you so you dont' make fools of yourself running around acting like ISU and Baylor are C-USA teams like you guys said. That is ridiculous. They are both great schools and have great fans, especially ISU. No reason for you to insult them like you are. I never insulted UConn or said they belong in the C-USA, I said you belong in a power conference. I compliment your school and you insult Big 12 schools with all kinds of misinformation and lies. . Why?

I have a hard time believing a school who draws 30k for games and in some cases 20k has the best atmosphere in the country. Might have been when the fans were showing up a few years back, as RG3 said. Doubt it's even top 25 now. Ever been to OU/TX, OU/Nebraska, FSU/Clemson, Iron bowl, Tenn, Lincoln, PSU, Wisconsin, etc.. those are great game day atmospheres. 80k people screaming, stadium packed, opposing fans showing up in huge numbers, etc... That is what CFB is about.

Every assumption you make (all mistaken) come from your predisposition to looking down on UConn. It's ridiculous. If you have a hard time believing the good atmosphere at UConn, talk to Robert Griffin. You're the one that brought him up. He's the one that said the atmosphere is BETTER than in the B12. So why are you complaining to us?

Reaction Score
UConn did beat bad ACC teams with sub .500 records....that is the actual record. Not saying that UConn can not beat an ACC team with a winning record...it would be a first.

No sense beating this back and forth....some of us thought that Louisville had more football potential. Could be wrong, could be right....but that is why the decision was made.

See ya in a week or so....

And another cherrypicker. You're really going to go back to 2000-2003 and count games against Miami, Virginia Tech, etc.? Do you people realize how preposterous you sound? UConn didn't even have half as many scholarships as those teams.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Grow up and stop getting your feeling hurt.

Congrats. You guys seem to take much pride in beating Baylor for some reason.

You were the one braggin on him. About how great he was. How amazing Baylor was.

Some day UCONN could aspire to those heights etc.

Reaction Score
The Iowa State UConn game was a decade ago. There was no one in the stands. It was cold. UConn blew them out. Seneca Wallace was the QB. They were in line for a bowl. A good college atmosphere? No. Just like you're cherrypicking UConn dates, I'm looking at the whole picture. Maybe talk to Robert Griffin about what he thinks of UConn football fans, since he seems to think they stack up quite well with B12 fans. And it also goes to show you what happens when Baylor comes to town as opposed to, say, Tulsa.
So I am cherry picking by using the most recent numbers available for attendance, and posting them. But you are going back 10+ years and claim there was 10k people at a game with no proof and that's not cherry picking? LAffin.
What happened 10 years ago has nothing to do with today. You have no idea how you are making yourself look like a fool right now.

You guys really seem to take pride in a Baylor win a few years ago as well. Bragging about beating Baylor is kinda weak if you ask me. It wasn't like they were beating up on everybody at that time. 1 minute you say they are C-usa, and the next you act like it was the best win in your history. Which is it?

Reaction Score
Grow up and stop getting your feeling hurt.

Congrats. You guys seem to take much pride in beating Baylor for some reason.

Because you're hear telling us how great they are and how UConn can't imagine the atmosphere, etc., yet UConn has beaten that school WHEN they had their Heisman winner, and the Hiesman winner (which you touted) said UConn's gameday atmopshere far surpassed much of what he found in the B12.

Reaction Score
You were the one braggin on him. About how great he was. How amazing Baylor was.

Some day UCONN could aspire to those heights etc.
No, I said they are not C-USA, as a UConn poster implied. He made a fool himself with that comment and you are still running with it.

Some day UConn could win a Heisman. No doubt.

Reaction Score
If you think that is true you really need to do some research. Boone has donated a whole lot more than that. aTm had about 250 million in donations just for the new stadium. donations rode hundreds of millions of dollars when JF won a Heisman, even surpassing UT. If you don't believe there are wealthy people who donate huge sums of money to AD's you are naive.

OK I'll do research: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304782404577488592793245510

Now, do you subscribe to the Chronicle of Higher Ed. so you can read the article about the hundred million dollar decade long DOD research grant that went belly up because the academic side was so up to its eyeballs in debt it couldn't bond out the building of the research facility?

Good on T. Boone for making up the losses for Okie St's athletics/football. Good man. Too bad it cost them on the academic side.

Reaction Score
Well I am going to take a break.. It is obvious that some posters have gotten their feeling hurt and the conversation has gone to the toilet. It is unfortunate that some fans can't have adult conversations. The insults are really embarrassing for your fan base.

People claiming that AAC teams will have better exposure than OU.
People claiming that UConn has the best game day atmosphere in the country.
People claiming Baylor and ISU belong in C-USA.

It's really sad that you guys can't see how ridiculous some of these statements are. It's almost like you are mad at me because I know your attendance numbers. It's not my fault your attendance has fallen the last few years. Be mad at your fans who don't show up for games, that is ultimately the problem. Has nothing to do with me.

Have a good weekend.

Reaction Score
So I am cherry picking by using the most recent numbers available for attendance, and posting them. But you are going back 10+ years and claim there was 10k people at a game with no proof and that's not cherry picking? LAffin.
What happened 10 years ago has nothing to do with today. You have no idea how you are making yourself look like a fool right now.

You guys really seem to take pride in a Baylor win a few years ago as well. Bragging about beating Baylor is kinda weak if you ask me. It wasn't like they were beating up on everybody at that time. 1 minute you say they are C-usa, and the next you act like it was the best win in your history. Which is it?

Holy cow, you're a broken record. We're responding to YOUR claims about Baylor and Iowa St. You're the one who mentioned the Heisman winner. We're telling you what the Heisman winner said about UConn. THESE ARE FACTS. He said it. If you came here to tell us that Pasqualoni was a bad coach who hurt UConn football, then I guess that makes you a genius.

Reaction Score
Well I am going to take a break.. It is obvious that some posters have gotten their feeling hurt and the conversation has gone to the toilet. It is unfortunate that some fans can't have adult conversations. The insults are really embarrassing for your fan base.

It's really sad that you guys can't see how ridiculous some of these statements are. It's almost like you are mad at me because I know your attendance numbers. It's not my fault your attendance has fallen the last few years. Be mad at your fans who don't show up for games, that is ultimately the problem. Has nothing to do with me.

Have a good weekend.

Ding Dong the Troll is GONE!

Reaction Score
Okielite,

I know you know little about our athletic departments or about our football teams. Here are some fun facts:

1. UCONN women basketball team makes more money than half of the D1A football programs.

2. UCONN has more players in the NFL than some of these following schools:
  • Okie Lite
  • Iowa St
  • Baylor
  • West Virginia
  • Kansas
  • Kansas St
  • TCU
  • Texas Tech
And that's just in the B12. UCONN has more guys in the NFL those schools we are being compared to regularly:

• BCU
  • sPitt
  • Syrafruits
  • Louisville
We beat RG III Baylor twice. RG III also said RENT (our stadium) is one of the toughest place to play due to its noise. Here is a guy who played at OU and Texas and all other B12 stadiums.

We only started playing big time football with full 85 scholarships since 2002. Since then, we won 2 BE championships, gone to 5 bowls with 3-2 bowl record. We also gone to 1 BCS bowl.

This is not bad for a school that don't take football "seriously" as you been stating.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Wow. You are really good at making up quotes.

I can't believe you said

"UCONN is more evil than Hitler"
"Communism started in UCONN Business School"
"Going to UCONN cause angels to lose wings"

Reaction Score
I'd say that about Baylor long before Iowa State. Iowa State is AAU and had a long history in the Big 8. Geography is what could hurt ISU now -- if the Big XII implodes, they are hurting -- due to the demographics of their geographic region (and the long shadows cast by nearby UNL, KU, UWisc, UIowa in sporting arenas)

I thought ISU wasn't AAU.

Reaction Score
How do you figure this? AAU school, large enrollment, great fan interest. Look at their attendance. They literally nearly double you in FB and draw just under 10k for WBB games. Mens are about 14k if I remember correctly. ISU is in a power conference and they are AAU, 2 things that UConn desperately wants to have. That is C-USA??? give me a break. Lets see you back up your statement.

So what? Tulane is AAU, ECU outdraws many P5 programs.. You don't have any good points.

Reaction Score
No, I said they are not C-USA, as a UConn poster implied. He made a fool himself with that comment and you are still running with it.

Some day UConn could win a Heisman. No doubt.

Made a fool of myself? ISU is pretty much a forgotten school. It's ranked #119 in the list of national public universities. It's not even remotely impressive.

Reaction Score
No sense beating this back and forth....some of us thought that Louisville had more football potential. Could be wrong, could be right....but that is why the decision was made.

See ya in a week or so....
Not true - they were invited because they had a better footbal team at the time Maryland defected.

pj

Reaction Score
I dont' even know what to say to your post other than I think you have an inflated view of yourself and dont' realize how far behind you are with your football program. Unfortunately FB is what matters in realignment. Basketball is an afterthought and quite frankly makes the NCAA money but leaves very little for the conferences and schools compared to FB. If BB was what mattered UConn would already be in a power conference.

I am listening and have learned quite a bit about your program. But you still have an inflated view of yourself that prevents you from being realistic about things.

Your insults to me are quite funny. You have no clue what big time football is like. More people show up for some high school games in Texas and Oklahoma than UConn games, that is a fact.

How many NC's does UConn have?

Okielite, this is a multi-dimensional argument. Yes, UConn football is behind. That is largely an artifact of having come late to top level football, basically we have 10 years of football history. Fandom is a matter of habit, often the habits of rooting for a team are developed as children, generations of Connecticut children did not grow up with a habit of rooting for UConn football. They have started doing that and over a few generations, UConn will have built up its fan base to a level commensurate with its status as a state flagship institution.

What will that status be? Connecticut has about the same population as Oklahoma or Kansas or Iowa, but there is only one university in the state, so no division of loyalties. Imagine combining Oklahoma and Oklahoma State into a single program, Kansas and Kansas State into a single program, or Iowa and Iowa State into a single program. That is what UConn football will be.

We've used basketball to illustrate the potential of UConn football. Basketball has the history and track record that football needs another 30 years to build.

We've shown you the commitment of the state to UConn football, as illustrated in first-rate facilities.

If you dismiss everything but football as unimportant, and judge us on football only, we'll certainly acknowledge that football is not there yet. But if we get into a power conference, nothing will stop us from getting there. I for one am confident we'll get there even if we remain in the AAC - but it will be slower. I hope you are young enough that you can watch and come back to us years from now to acknowledge your misplaced skepticism. UConn football is going to be a player nationally, in time.

Reaction Score
10 year averages have nothing to do with today. Baylor has come a long way in the last 10 years. Where they were in 2004 has nothing to do with where they are in 2014. But if it makes you feel better to use that 10 year average feel free. Baylor is dumping hundreds of millions of dollars into it's facilities. That is what it takes to grow a brand like they have done the last 5 years. That is what UConn needs to be doing if they want to stand out in the AAC.

17k is not an anomaly when you had another game with 22k. You can't remove your worst game from your average, doesn't' work like that.

Actually it does in statistics... You take your best and your worst and you remove them. More importantly what you really want to do is look at your STD Deviation. This will tell you more about where we are trending. Oh, and when it comes to stats, there are many rules you can imply. To what level of confidence do you want your data to represent. Keep in mind for a medical company it is 99.99% or roughly 6 sigma for general manufacturing it might be 95%. But I don't want to get into a stats 101 class. Just want to point out that a more reasonable approach is to take your best and worst attendance and get rid of them.

To help clarify for those who have the appropriate level statistical background:
The Michigan game of 42K I am guessing is our upper outlier and the 17K is our lower outlier. Then see how we are doing - are we trending down? But see with our new coach how we do with attendance in game 1. See if in general December attendance is down. We have how many December games historically to compare to? Track this is comparison to the weather (climate and precipitation) Also, and this may be hard but if we have an idea of the breakdown by age of the ticket holders we may be able to correlate weather to certain age groups. I do not expect to see many 4 year old ticket holders and their parents going to game in Dec when it is below 30 and snowing or in the 40's and raining with lots of wind. By understanding the variables you do have the right to throw what you might consider an accurate particular data point away even if it is the general area of the other data points. YOU MUST UNDERSTAND YOUR VARIABLES!!!

Reaction Score
So what? Tulane is AAU, ECU outdraws many P5 programs.. You don't have any good points.

Exactly. If attendance is the only thing that mattered, ECU would be in the P5 right now. Factors like TV markets, school rankings, and many others are far more important. Ask how RU got into the B1G. It certainly wasn't fan support or athletic achievements. I am pretty sure if they are not in the NYC DMA, they won't be in the B1G today.

Reaction Score
Not true - they were invited because they had a better footbal team at the time Maryland defected.

What I said I post earlier in this thread....Maryland left...the Coach K and Williams faction had already been fed...football was next up when Maryland left...and Louisville was more appealing to the southern football guys (we think, it has never been officially stated).

Reaction Score
ISU is both. Comparing 1 school with trait and another with a different trait is not the same as 1 school that has both traits. Not sure why you don't see the difference???

Why are you so hell bent on bashing ISU? It's great school with extremely loyal fans who do a great job of supporting their teams.

Tulane is a great academic school and ECU has tremendous fan support considering all the power conference schools in the state. Tulane was looked at when we were expanding, some said we were close to getting them instead of WVU, I would have been cool with that. Much rather go see a game in New Orleans instead of Morgantown.

Reaction Score
Wow. You are really good at making up quotes.

I can't believe you said

"UCONN is more evil than Hitler"
"Communism started in UCONN Business School"
"Going to UCONN cause angels to lose wings"
Actually if you read back people really said those things about OU, the gameday atmosphere, and ISU. I left out Baylor but they also said Baylor was a C-USA type school as well. Yes I agree, that they are ridiculous statements as well, but they did make them, that is a fact.

Reaction Score
Made a fool of myself? ISU is pretty much a forgotten school. It's ranked #119 in the list of national public universities. It's not even remotely impressive.

Why are you so hell bent on bashing ISU? They are in a power conference and have AAU status, hopefully someday you can achieve both of those things like they have. There is no need to trash them, they are good people. Honestly they are some of the most friendly and humble fans you will ever run across.

Reaction Score
Okielite,

I know you know little about our athletic departments or about our football teams. Here are some fun facts:

1. UCONN women basketball team makes more money than half of the D1A football programs.

2. UCONN has more players in the NFL than some of these following schools:

• [ ]Okie Lite
    [ ]Iowa St
    [ ]Baylor
    [ ]West Virginia
    [ ]Kansas
    [ ]Kansas St
    [ ]TCU
    [ ]Texas Tech
And that's just in the B12. UCONN has more guys in the NFL those schools we are being compared to regularly:

• [ ]BCU
    [ ]sPitt
    [ ]Syrafruits
    [ ]Louisville
We beat RG III Baylor twice. RG III also said RENT (our stadium) is one of the toughest place to play due to its noise. Here is a guy who played at OU and Texas and all other B12 stadiums.

We only started playing big time football with full 85 scholarships since 2002. Since then, we won 2 BE championships, gone to 5 bowls with 3-2 bowl record. We also gone to 1 BCS bowl.

This is not bad for a school that don't take football "seriously" as you been stating.
Very impressive to say the least. I never said you don't take it seriously. Clearly you do.

Reaction Score
Exactly. If attendance is the only thing that mattered, ECU would be in the P5 right now. Factors like TV markets, school rankings, and many others are far more important. Ask how RU got into the B1G. It certainly wasn't fan support or athletic achievements. I am pretty sure if they are not in the NYC DMA, they won't be in the B1G today.
We all know that schools in highly populated states are valuable to conferences with networks, simply for subscriber fees. B1G watered down it's product with Rutgers and Maryland IMO. But attendance is important to a program as it's an indicator of fan support. Some schools struggle with it like Duke, and others like Nebraska have sold out every game for 50+ years. To say it does not matter is not correct. Another thing you will notice, the teams who have played for and won NC's during the BCS era were almost all schools with great fan support. That is not a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom