At FSU the knives are out for Jimbo Fisher(24-9 )yet fans of UConn are told to sit down and shut up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

At FSU the knives are out for Jimbo Fisher(24-9 )yet fans of UConn are told to sit down and shut up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think there are a few things happening here, and to a degree it isn't entirely Deleone's fault exactly.
1.He came in with a program to change to approach to offensive football. You can argue that it was a bad decision, but we have gone from being a smash mouth team to a finesse team, and it hasn't been a smooth transition at all. Both approaches can be effective, for what its worth. But whether we don't have the players or it isn't being taught right or it is just not falling into place yet, it is clear that this switch has had a significant negative effect on the offensive line play. I'm not sure it is entirely DeLeone's fault this isn't working. But at least so far, the new approach isn't coming together. Pitt went through a similar , if reverse, change under Wanstadt and struggled for a couple of years moving from a finesse sytem to a more power oriented approach.
2. We are not overloaded with offensive fire power. To some extent this falls at the feet of the previous staff. Remember, Pasquoloni and co have had exactly 1 recruiting class. The 2011 class was identified and offered by Edsall. We have some good to very good defensive players, but Edsall simply did not recruit many top notch offensive players at skill positions. the sole exception was at running back, and McCombs is at worst adequate, though I'm not sure there is mcuh behind him. I know they have had limited work, but neither of the 2 backups seem much more than role players to me. Beyond him, though, the quality isn't there at any skill position. We'll have to see about Joe Williams as a running back. And its clear that the quarterback situation was a mess and there was little on the bench after Frazer left. Box is a backup in D2, Nebrich is a backup in 1AA. McCumming is what he is. Whitmer has some skills but seems not to make good decisions yet. Though I remember the Nassim really struggling as a freshman. I'd take him today. that is my hope for Whitmer.
3. The one area where I do think the staff,DeLeone in particular has failed is in not making the best use of the guys he has. We appear to have possession type recievers, so why not throw short quick stuff. We have a smallish tailback, so why not try and get him outside a little more or get him the football more as a reciever out of the backfield...more like the Eagles (Philly, not BC)used Westbrook in his prime. On the other hand, the problem with that line of thinking is that if you are determined to put in a pretty dramatically different system, I'm not sure you can do it and play to the strengths of your current roster, recruited by someone else to play a different system. It just may be a square peg round hole problem.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Looking at the O-line now vs. then and Jordan Todman vs. Lyle McCombs, my thought is.. well.. yeah, it's certainly possible.

What about the O-Line in 2011 vs 2010?

Keep in mind that my initial post wasn't expecting a BCS bowl appwearance, merely stringing together more than one win in a row.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Scooter, I believe the one spot on offense where we absolutely haven't utilized our talent is at TE and specifically Ryan Griffin. I'm guessing (no inside info here at all) that there is some personal reason that GD has limited RG's presence in our offense and considering what he has done when the ball is thrown his way it is a crime that he has seen so few passes.

Reaction Score
eat-popcorn-3D.gif

Reaction Score
Scooter, I believe the one spot on offense where we absolutely haven't utilized our talent is at TE and specifically Ryan Griffin. I'm guessing (no inside info here at all) that there is some personal reason that GD has limited RG's presence in our offense and considering what he has done when the ball is thrown his way it is a crime that he has seen so few passes.

Personal reasons?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Personal reasons?
Again I am guessing but I believe that there is some personal issue that the staff is holding against RG. I cannot logically see any other reason why he has had such a minimal role in our offense.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Ok. Maybe I'll ask his dad if he thinks that on Saturday.

I know Joe pretty well but have intentionally not asked this as it would put him in a very difficult position.

Reaction Score
You're not? Our offense was brutal last year. This is year 2 in his system, and he expanded his responsibilities to include the OL. Our QB is better this year. And yet we've regressed so much on offense that it's embarrassing. This team is not playing to its talent level. We don't have the best athletes in the world, but they are better than the results we've seen.

Fire DeLeone now. And if things don't improve significantly in the next month and a half, P won't be far behind.

The most frustrating part for me is that I thought he did a good job last year. We had a decent but not great RB, a walk-on QB, and he cobbled together a decent looking offense. Obviously it was lousy at times, but I thought he did well with what he had, which wasn't much. Now we seemingly have more and we've regressed. And you can't blame it on execution when 80% of our drives are run up the middle, run up the middle, pass on third and long. It's not like our 1st down runs are getting us to 2nd and 5 or 6 like they did in Edsall's day, they're getting us 2nd and 8 if we're lucky and I'd guess that more often than not they result in a loss or no gain.

Reaction Score
Rumrunner, now you know that this is not the fan base to make such a point. Do I think UConn is anywhere on par with FSU - of course not. But can it be doable in the future? Who among us saw one (let alone three) national championships in basketball back in the 70s?

I do get your point, FSU fans immediately growing impatient with Fisher (saw the same thing in Florida after Spurrier left) very quickly. . . . and yet at UConn fans are reluctant to think along those same lines. Why, because UConn isn't FSU at the present?

HCPP is going to drag this program down and set it back many, many years. But folks will continue to cloud the issue, insuating that you are comparing FSU to UConn, when nots simply not the point.

Reaction Score
Again I am guessing but I believe that there is some personal issue that the staff is holding against RG. I cannot logically see any other reason why he has had such a minimal role in our offense.

minimal role? i think he had 3 catches last week, that's half our passing game. his role isn't minimal, our offense itself is minimal.

Reaction Score
circling back to the column referenced in the OP
At every turn, the boosters and ticket-holders and fans have been asked to give more – and they have done so with the promise that their investment would lead to a brighter future.
While no one expected that investment to produce a national championship this quickly, the people who wrote those checks deserve more than what they saw Saturday night.
So now the question is pretty simple: What next?
Should staffing changes be made? Is it time to re-evaluate Jimbo Fisher’s job status? Do coaching duties need to be shuffled among his assistants?
Or is it wiser to stay the course and continue to believe that the millions of dollars FSU is spending in coaching salaries and resources will eventually lead to championship results?

Let's not forget that there's $150-million-plus worth of infrastructure invested into the UConn football program in addition to the yearly budget ($17 million) . No idea what Florida State ticket prices are but I'm paying $1,200 a year for four (w/donation) and can't imagine average FSU ticketholder is paying that much more. The "people who write the checks deserve more than what they saw Saturday" holds a lot of water with me. When the people writing checks know enough to call a timeout at the end of the first half and the coaches don't, that is yet another huge red flag, which are piling up all around us.

Reaction Score
What do you consider "stupid" expectations? Mine are 8 wins, bowl trip, and be in mix for BE title.

Dan, I was referring to a fanbase that wants to fire its coach because they are 5-1. If you take a breath and read some of the posts you respond to maybe...........

Reaction Score

Where is BL to slap you down for speculaterizinng and inuendoizing. So he isn't playing enough and it can't be that the staff is too stupid to realize this, or that maybe he isn't as good as you think, its more likely the staff has personal issues with him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't know if it's personal - but it certainly seems to me that the staff has some kind of issue with Griffin.

Reaction Score
I just am not convinced that replacing coordinators mid-season is worth the cost. These kids are gonna learn a new system between now and Temple?

I would settle for they learn the system they have been in for 18 games by Temple. This is not 110th offense in the country in yards and scoring type talent. Not like Uconn has a top 10 opponent difficulty schedule. You do know that Tulane lost to Rutgers 24-12 and Tulane averages 9 points per game, so they scored 33% more than their game average againt Rutgers and 4 times as many points as Uconn.
Our defense is top 20 and our offense is Tulane.

Reaction Score
Who among us saw one (let alone three) national championships in basketball back in the 70s?

I did ;)

If only Rowe/Perno had convinced everyone to stay home. In the backcourt;Matthews, Foster, Bagley, Luckett, Oleynick, Mccloud, etc. Up front; Garris, Gminski, Pinone, Jensen etc. Add in what we had. Oh to dream what could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom