At FSU the knives are out for Jimbo Fisher(24-9 )yet fans of UConn are told to sit down and shut up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

At FSU the knives are out for Jimbo Fisher(24-9 )yet fans of UConn are told to sit down and shut up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No petty insult is above you. If you feel like having a legitimate conversation and treating your fellow fans like adults, I'll be here.

If you want to join the rest of us over here in reality, we'll be here.

Reaction Score
I just am not convinced that replacing coordinators mid-season is worth the cost. These kids are gonna learn a new system between now and Temple?

i think that UConn will lose more games than win for the rest of the season if GDL remains the OC. If that is the case uconn does not become bowl eligible in my mind. My mind is made up on GDL and imo the remainder of this season can be used as a way to evaluate coaching talent from within the organization....or a chance to bring in someone new in the offseason if no one from within steps up. Regardless it is all about building towards future winning seasons and GDL is not accomplishing that in the slightest.

Reaction Score
I'm still not convinced the OC is totally at fault. The talent level on our offense is.... pretty spectacularly bad. It'd be interesting to see what GDL could do with, say, Oregon's personnel. But we'll never know, so we might as well blame the OC a year and a half into his tenure, I guess.
Loop I can't let that one go. GDL is no way, shape or form capable of doing 1/1000th the things Chip Kelly does. The only thing that would be interesting about GDL coaching Oregon's offense is how fast he could get them into the bottom third of NCAA offenses.

Reaction Score
Our QB makes plenty of terrible plays. Four picks ain't all on DeLeone. Some of those were bad passes. Some of them were absolutely terrible decisions.

There's plenty of blame to go around, honestly.

Our QB only really gets to throw on 3rd and 14. DeLeone does a great job in setting him up for success.

Reaction Score
You're not? Our offense was brutal last year. This is year 2 in his system, and he expanded his responsibilities to include the OL. Our QB is better this year. And yet we've regressed so much on offense that it's embarrassing. This team is not playing to its talent level. We don't have the best athletes in the world, but they are better than the results we've seen.

Fire DeLeone now. And if things don't improve significantly in the next month and a half, P won't be far behind.

I don't see how. We lost our two best O-linemen. Our WR's are about the same. Whitmer is a very mild upgrade.

Our team goes as the OL goes, and as far as I can tell, our OL this year is significantly less talented than last year. Which means every other aspect of our offense gets worse. No OL, no run. No OL, bad protection for pass. Which means more mistakes. More forced throws. More hits. More picks.

At the start of this year, many of us felt that if the OL went well, we could be good. It hasn't. So we're not. All the scheming in the world isn't going to bring Moe Petrus and Zach Hurd back into the Rent.

I'm not saying GDL is great, but I'm saying that there are a multitude of problems with this offense and they aren't all on him.

Reaction Score
Loop I can't let that one go. GDL is no way, shape or form capable of doing 1/1000th the things Chip Kelly does. The only thing that would be interesting about GDL coaching Oregon's offense is how fast he could get them into the bottom third of NCAA offenses.

Nobody said he could. But it would be interesting to know. Because we only know what GDL + our talent looks like.

Reaction Score
Our QB only really gets to throw on 3rd and 14. DeLeone does a great job in setting him up for success.

Not even close to true. Whitmer threw a pick on like the 3 yard line against WMU. He makes some terrible choices. And even if it's 3rd and 14, you don't have to force the ball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not even close to true. Whitmer threw a pick on like the 3 yard line against WMU. He makes some terrible choices. And even if it's 3rd and 14, you don't have to force the ball.

Which has been communicated was Williams' mistake.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying GDL is great, but I'm saying that there are a multitude of problems with this offense and they aren't all on him.
Point made but he is directly incharge of the o-line that your unhappy with, and the play calling that everyone else is unhappy with.

Reaction Score

You also don't have to call a run up the middle on every first down. Or pull the QB every time he makes a good play so that he never gets a chance to capitalize on his momentum. Justify that.

You obviously never watched a DeLeone offense. They are all carbon copies of each other, and none of them look good.

Reaction Score

I don't disagree with this statement but it's a lot easier to make an OC change than it is to upgrade the talent through recruiting. I see very little reason to keep GDL around any longer.

Reaction Score
Point made but he is directly incharge of the o-line that your unhappy with, and the play calling that everyone else is unhappy with.

Hey, I hated the playcalling for our last coach, too, but he got us to a BCS bowl game. I'm just saying that sports are like politics: people want easy answers and make generalized statements and generally look for someone very specific to blame, but the truth is generally more complex and involves many shades of gray and I think people need to back up and take a look at the bigger picture here.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with this statement but it's a lot easier to make an OC change than it is to upgrade the talent through recruiting. I see very little reason to keep GDL around any longer.

I still think the cost of creating an entirely new offensive system midseason is greater than whatever benefit we get from firing GDL for the rest of the year. But people act like this kind of opinion can only be held by someone with brain damage, which seems ridiculous.

I mean, this isn't the Cesspool, people. It's okay for reasonable people to disagree about stuff.

Reaction Score
You also don't have to call a run up the middle on every first down. Or pull the QB every time he makes a good play so that he never gets a chance to capitalize on his momentum. Justify that.

You obviously never watched a DeLeone offense. They are all carbon copies of each other, and none of them look good.

No, you don't. And I don't think DeLeone is a great OC.

But I think if we fire him midseason, things are going to get a lot worse, and I can't see any tangible benefit to be gained.

Reaction Score
You fire the OC now so that you can have a chance to win, you wait until the season is ver to fire the head coach. You really don't know how this is done do you?

Well... it does work sometimes - not all times but sometimes. OC needs to be scapegoat this year.

As noted yesterday - Mark Ennis@Mengus22
Remember when Houston lost to Texas St. in the opener and fired its off. coordinator? UH had 623 yards in a win over N. Texas Saturday.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm still not convinced the OC is totally at fault. The talent level on our offense is.... pretty spectacularly bad. It'd be interesting to see what GDL could do with, say, Oregon's personnel. But we'll never know, so we might as well blame the OC a year and a half into his tenure, I guess.

Has the talent level fallen off so badly from our Fiesta Bowl appearance that we are no longer capable of putting together a two game winning streak?

Reaction Score
Well... it does work sometimes - not all times but sometimes. OC needs to be scapegoat this year.

As noted yesterday - Mark Ennis@Mengus22
Remember when Houston lost to Texas St. in the opener and fired its off. coordinator? UH had 623 yards in a win over N. Texas Saturday.

Lol, DeLeone needs at least three games in Big East play to get to 623 yards.

Reaction Score
Has the talent level fallen off so badly from our Fiesta Bowl appearance that we are no longer capable of putting together a two game winning streak?

Looking at the O-line now vs. then and Jordan Todman vs. Lyle McCombs, my thought is.. well.. yeah, it's certainly possible.

Reaction Score
No, you don't. And I don't think DeLeone is a great OC.

But I think if we fire him midseason, things are going to get a lot worse, and I can't see any tangible benefit to be gained.

Firing a bad OC midseason when you already having a terrible season, is a move that carries very little risk.

But don't worry, It won't happen, it would be like C3po firing r2d2.

Reaction Score
Loop, the bottom line is GDL had a well-established track record of awful results long before he got here. That PP brought him along is the worst example of old-boy-network coaching cronyism. I don't see the vast talent dropoff on the line that you do; I do a scheme that is a terrible fit for the talent that is available. Counters/misdirection/inside traps/reach blocking would work but apparently that's not GDL's approach. And now we're paying the price.

Reaction Score
Loop, the bottom line is GDL had a well-established track record of awful results long before he got here. That PP brought him along is the worst example of old-boy-network coaching cronyism. I don't see the vast talent dropoff on the line that you do; I do a scheme that is a terrible fit for the talent that is available. Counters/misdirection/inside traps/reach blocking would work but apparently that's not GDL's approach. And now we're paying the price.

Didn't GDL oversee some great seasons at Syracuse or am I missing something?

Reaction Score
I don't think that any team in the country (other than maybe 3 or 4 teams going into a particular year) should have any expectations greater than double digit wins and winning their conference (which will generally put them in the top 10 and give them a BCS game). College football (and the NFL for that matter) is such that it is tough to win road games against "good" teams in conference. Nobody should "expect" to win a NC or "expect" to go undefeated. So if FSU goes 11-2/12-1 and ends up in the top 10 and wins the ACC? I think they have no reason to be upset at all. There is always a good bit of luck (and help) that has to happen to get into the NC game anyway.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Didn't GDL oversee some great seasons at Syracuse or am I missing something?

GDL oversaw the decline of the SU offense.

He wasn't OC during PP's best years (except for the defense dominated team with Dwight Freeney)

Reaction Score
Right, no matter how stupid those expectations might be.

Nothing wrong with using greatness as a benchmark to establish goals and objectives as a path to improvement, seeing as how much improvement this team needs. Who should the football team use as a role model, UMass?

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with using greatness as a benchmark to establish goals and objectives as a path to improvement, seeing as how much improvement this team needs. Who should the football team use as a role model, UMass?

Maybe the BY members should use "rich enough to buy out bad coaches" as a benchmark to run their personal lives. Maybe we'd get somewhere. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom