Article Asks - Does UConn Win Because They Recruit the Best Players? | The Boneyard

Article Asks - Does UConn Win Because They Recruit the Best Players?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Very good article . IMO what sets UConn apart from all other teams is their mindset. They are willing to sacrifice when some other players wont. There are standards at UConn and they dont need every single great player out of high school to build a team that wins NCs. You are beginning to see it now with Butler Camara and Stevens transferring to UConn. We heard it from some of the players on Team USA how Geno coaches and what they couldve been. There is nothing imo worse that being a couldve been. These transfers occured because these players saw a need at UConn, wanted to win a NC and knew they couldnt where they were. If you are lucky enough to be chosen by the coaches and players to play for UConn then you have the opportunity of a lifetime to do something special with you life that others only dream about.

You see many teams with many great players and they still loose games and never win a NC. At UConn that unacceptable. Being prepared, trusting what your drilled on and taught, believing in the team and yourself which all leads to your mindset. It builds a tuff mindset. lt eliminates doubt. Thats the difference IMO of what makes UConn the greatest sports team in America. Because of the way they are developed there are qualities that make them great and there is little to fear. It all leads to a strong tuff mindset.

There are two types of people in the world. Those who think they can and those who think they cant ...... and theyre both right. At UConn because of their training the second option is non existent.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Very good article . IMO what sets UConn apart from all other teams is their mindset. They are willing to sacrifice when some other players wont. There are standards at UConn and they dont need every single great player out of high school to build a team that wins NCs. You are beginning to see it now with Butler Camara and Stevens transferring to UConn. We heard it from some of the players on Team USA how Geno coaches and what they couldve been. There is nothing imo worse that being a couldve been. These transfers occured because these players saw a need at UConn, wanted to win a NC and knew they couldnt where they were. If you are lucky enough to be chosen by the coaches and players to play for UConn then you have the opportunity of a lifetime to do something special with you life that others only dream about.

You see many teams with many great players and they still loose games and never win a NC. At UConn that unacceptable. Being prepared, trusting what your drilled on and taught, believing in the team and yourself which all leads to your mindset. It builds a tuff mindset. lt eliminates doubt. Thats the difference IMO of what makes UConn the greatest sports team in America. Because of the way they are developed there are qualities that make them great and there is little to fear. It all leads to a strong tuff mindset.

There are two types of people in the world. Those who think they can and those who think they cant . and theyre both right. At UConn because of their training the second option is non existent.
Go 'head Tony. When you're talking about UConn I'm still waiting for you to be wrong. Perhaps when I start ageing in reverse. It could happen.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's amazing that UConn misses in recruiting and still gets great commitments and the same number of championships. Remember Aja Wilson and diamond Deshields? What has UConn failed to win without those two when they would have been so sorely needed? I think we're ok without them.

Historically speaking, the trinity of Maya, Diana, and Stewie, cannot be ignored. Throw in Rebecca and Sue, and all 11
NCs are accounted for. However, 1998, 2000, , 1991, and 2012 were recruiting class masterpieces. Kudos to Geno for evaluating and receiving commitments from so many great players, not to mention for how they're developed. Notice how we've got a couple of sophomores playing like AAs this season? KLS and Napheesa are blossoming into everything we hoped for in 2015, and all credit is due to Geno for that.

Reaction Score
With due acknowledgement to Tonyc's post above:

There are two types of players in NCAAW. Those who can and those who cannot. At Uconn the second training option is not available.

Reaction Score
That argument, 'of course they win because they get all the good players' is wrong on so many levels, not the least of which is that it is an admission that your coaching staff sucks at recruiting, too.

Just one more component that Geno&Company are the best at, even if it is being acknowledged in a backhanded fashion by critics.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Player rankings are somewhat subjective and not every McD AA pans out. Even with those qualifications, I believe you can make the case that at least 5 teams have better talent than UConn this year: Baylor, MD, OSU, ND & SC. The Huskies have beaten 4 of the 5, with only SC left on the regular season schedule.

You can't win championships without great players, but great players alone won't get you there without the incredible commitment of the players, coaches & the administration.

Reaction Score
UConn gets the best players they want.

UConn gets SOME of the best players they wanted. They wanted A'Ja and Diamond and some others that chose not to come here. They look for talented players that adhere to the team style Geno demands. Geno has always gotten the best out of the players he's had and with success, he's drawn better and better and better players that buy into what he's selling. He won an awful lot with players that weren't overly good coming in but maximized what they were capable of. To imply he wins because he has the best players diminishes his coaching achievements.

Reaction Score
UConn gets SOME of the best players they wanted. They wanted A'Ja and Diamond and some others that chose not to come here. They look for talented players that adhere to the team style Geno demands. Geno has always gotten the best out of the players he's had and with success, he's drawn better and better and better players that buy into what he's selling. He won an awful lot with players that weren't overly good coming in but maximized what they were capable of. To imply he wins because he has the best players diminishes his coaching achievements.
I probably should have read all the posts before writing mine because a lot of what I've written had been said earlier. Sorry about that! Great minds think alike, I guess!

Reaction Score

There are two types of players in NCAAW. Those who can and those who cannot. At Uconn the second training option is not available.
How about those who will and those who won't! Meaning will to buy into what Geno sells to those talented women he wants to recruit. If he finds them unwilling to buy in, they're on their own without an offer.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

Yes, and there are TWO types of good players: those who play for themselves, and those who play for the team(Uconn recruits the latter).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of the great ones, Elena Delle Donne, signed and left after 2 days. We promptly went on a 90-game streak.

Some idiot posted on ESPN that UConn gets like 15 McDonald's All-Americans per year. This would be a great time to link to the thread on that topic. I think our roster is about 6th or 7th in terms of number go McD AAs.

So the answer is clearly, "no." But we get SOME of the best talent and much of the best talent that is willing to work harder than imaginable and sacrifice for the team.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Rankings of players are subjective. The old "eyes of the beholder" if you will.

Geno does not get all the best players, we know that. His criteria is more selective than most coaches. Yes you have to be talented. But you have to have character, heart, intelligence. You have to be willing to work harder than everyone else. You have to be willing to give of yourself for the benefit of the team.

I keep thinking Azura's comments in another post were she said you have to be ready both physically and mentally for every practice. There is no taking a practice off. She also said the mental aspect was the most difficult. This is one of the reasons that UConn stands above all.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
One of the great ones, Elena Delle Donne, signed and left after 2 days. We promptly went on a 90-game streak.

Some idiot posted on ESPN that UConn gets like 15 McDonald's All-Americans per year. This would be a great time to link to the thread on that topic. I think our roster is about 6th or 7th in terms of number go McD AAs.

So the answer is clearly, "no." But we get SOME of the best talent and much of the best talent that is willing to work harder than imaginable and sacrifice for the team.
I like your last paragraph.............FOR THE TEAM!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom