ARTICLE ABOUT MARKETING NEW BE | The Boneyard

ARTICLE ABOUT MARKETING NEW BE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thought process here is good. It's a real starting point and I hope someone is listening.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree. These ideas may not be the right ones, but they are ideas. We won't win by sitting still and hoping we get invited back to the big boy table. This was the best point:
2). FORGET ESPN. The TV football contract is up and the Big East needs anyone but ESPN to get it. ESPN not only advised the ACC to go after Syracuse and Pittsburgh, it has done little -- on its airwaves, anyway -- to combat the notion that the Big East has all but disappeared. Even if ESPN were to get the Big East back into its "family" of networks, it surely would be sitting at the kiddie table. I know, ESPN is the brand name in sports right now, but the Big East, and you'll note this as a recurring theme, is not going to beat the big boys on their turf. It needs to find new turf. NBC is making a serious push with its sports network, which I expect to emerge from the Olympics with the beginnings of a foothold toward getting into the game. Its collaborative efforts with Sports Illustrated are first rate. And then there's FOX, maybe less likely, but worth exploring. They're getting into the game in a bigger way. Does the name Erin Andrews mean anything to you? Gus Johnson. Anyone? More than sitting back and waiting for those networks to make a play, be aggressive. Tell them you want to be part of something new, and that you're willing to do your part to make it work.

The Big East built ESPN, we can do the same to NBC Sports.

Reaction Score
1). PICK A FIGHT. Since TCU jilted the Big East, followed by the departures of Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia, the Big East has been portrayed as a loser. The Big East needs to win something. It's not going to beat the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac 12 in money or marketing, so forget that. The Big East needs to take aim at the ACC and make a clear, creative and borderline obnoxious case that, "We may not be the best conference in college football, but we're better than THOSE guys." I'm picturing a multi-pronged marketing effort. Some billboards in South Beach with the U's national championship trophies and the words, "Hey Miami, how's the ACC workin' out for ya?" Or, how's this for a commercial? "The Big East. Birthplace of ACC champions."

I like. But what if we go to the ACC??

Reaction Score
"The Big East. Birthplace of ACC champions." made me laugh. i definitely agree with #2. #3 i'm not so crazy about. i don't think people choose to watch a particular game b/c the coach is miked up

Reaction Score
"The Big East. Birthplace of ACC champions." made me laugh. i definitely agree with #2. #3 i'm not so crazy about. i don't think people choose to watch a particular game b/c the coach is miked up
100% agreed.

Reaction Score

I posted the same article in a thread on the Conference Realignment forum... #3 reminds me of the XFL/AFL/UFL model.

Reaction Score
Gimmicky things, are exactly that - gimmicky. The one thing the XFL really contributed to football, was the flying camera, over the field. I do believe that if the Big East conference were to get into a TV arrangement, with the high production quatlity, that we would see that kind of same production quality the NFL has, with Big East football.

The production quality of the television broadcasts, is a big deal. NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC - been producing football games for a long, long time, and do a good job.

My ideal, is now, what it was many months ago when I got peed on around here. Big East football Saturdays. Regional broadcasting, in regional primetimes, as much as possible, sandwiched around national broadcasts, with Notre Dame broadcasts as the anchor.

Every week, just like the NFL, the next week's broadcasts are advertised. You see 2/3 games listed in bold as the national broadcasts, (in the NFL, it's usually the Cowboys, and handful of other organizations that get the regular national broadcasts) and all the other games listed below regionally.

NBC running two channels all day on Saturday with football. 3:30pm time slot on the flagship channel 4 going out nationally - every saturday, as well as either the 12:00 EST or 8:00 EST time slot nationally on the flagship channel, depending on what the matchups are and what time zone they are in. NBC regional affiliates through the NBC sports channel, carrying local broadcasts concurrently to regional areas with as many as possible matchups being broadcast, in their local respective primetimes on saturday afternoon/evening depending on time zones.

Fox can do something similar, but Fox doesn't have the anchor football program to build a full day of schedules around, and market as a whole package, that NBC does in Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Most of these things have been said on this board for ten years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The Big East in high definition 3-D.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics