Arkeel Newsome | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What is Arkeel's actual height and weight? I keep hearing his size is on the small side, but 5"10" 185 lbs. as a soph is decent size in my view.

Reaction Score
"Newsome is a short, compact running back that put up insane stats last year, scoring over 60 touchdowns. He is very fast and has great quickness and shiftiness with good hands coming out of the backfield. Newsome can also be lethal in the open field, possessing a variety of moves to get by defenders. He is a tough player that, on more than one occasion, made catches over the middle. Excellent in space, Newsome could be a third-down back, slot receiver or an every down back in a spread offense in college."

He was just part of the article. Farrell talked about 7 other underclassmen.

Reaction Score
There was also a video where Farrel interviewed Arkeel.

Arkeel said that he's been to UConn "a lot lately", and that Florida, Penn State, and UConn are his dream schools. He says he kinda grew up a Florida fan. He also said he wants to make a late decision and that he doesn't have any offers yet.

I hope Coach P offers him soon.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Farrel interview was pretty good though he did make mention of BC a number of times "Farrel, not Arkeel".

Reaction Score
When asked his 3 dream schools it Florida was clearly the school he was thinking about most.
It took a bit from him to come up with Penn St and even longer to say Uconn. He looked a little nervous so i wouldn't read too much into it.

Farrel asked if he has family out of state that would impact his decision and i believe he said no, which is not what i posted here once based on what i was told by someone who knows him.
I spoke to someone that suggested he has family near Alabama that could influence he decision, so that apperanlty is incorrect.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info.

Newsome is a quiet kid and a bit camera shy, so the nervousness is not a surprise. Having seen him up close, I agree with the evaluation of his skill set. I'm not concerned with his size. He's probably closer to 5'8, at this point, but is solid. He has a very strong base, thick thighs. He was much bigger then I thought he would be.

Reaction Score
Farrel interview was pretty good though he did make mention of BC a number of times "Farrel, not Arkeel".
I didn't bother to watch the video, but if Farrell mentioned bcu, without Newsome mentioning them, that's illegal recruiting. It's also very unprofessional, on Farrell's part. He really should be fired.

Reaction Score
I didn't bother to watch the video, but if Farrell mentioned bcu, without Newsome mentioning them, that's illegal recruiting. It's also very unprofessional, on Farrell's part. He really should be fired.

He also asked about UConn. He was just asking specific questions about various different schools.

Farrell went to UConn, he's really not as anti-UConn, pro-BC as many people on here think.

Reaction Score
He also asked about UConn. He was just asking specific questions about various different schools.

Farrell went to UConn, he's really not as anti-UConn, pro-BC as many people on here think.

If you believe this, you haven't been paying attention. Look up Ron Brace's recruitment as an example.

Reaction Score
If you believe this, you haven't been paying attention. Look up Ron Brace's recruitment as an example.

I think folks on the boneyard are just so paranoid that they'll look for any little slight.

Farrell lives in Connecticut, he doesn't hate UConn. He's constantly writing articles about UConn targets and commits.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Farrell has been a fan of BC since his high school days at Rockville High. He was at Rockville when Romanowski played at BC. Romo went to Rockville. I don't know if MF graduated from Storrs but I'm pretty sure he started at Central or Southern.

Reaction Score
Romanowski.....now there's a quality guy. When he started crying on television about his steroid use I thought I was going to get violently ill.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I thought the story on MF was that he started at UConn but ended up graduating from Central. I don't know if the move from Storrsto New Britain was voluntary on his part but not many make that move by choice.

Reaction Score
would be good to get right size on Arkeel. . . .the Connecticut Post had him as 5-6, 150 last fall. I saw the state final and from my far-away view that seemed close. He's a lot of fun to watch, no question about that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If he was a HS sophomore last fall it is quite reasonable that he is now a few inches taller.

Reaction Score
would be good to get right size on Arkeel. . . .the Connecticut Post had him as 5-6, 150 last fall. I saw the state final and from my far-away view that seemed close. He's a lot of fun to watch, no question about that.

That was his size as a Frosh. I was with the Ansonia staff throughout their championship run in 2011. Arkeel's pretty close to 5'8, 175. Like I said, I thought he was bigger in person then I actually thought he was from a distance. He has a solid build, and will obviously add more muscle to his growing frame. He'll probably top out at 5'9 or 5'10, but he could be 185 or 190 by his senior season. The kid has a great work ethic. He added 23 pounds to his frame between his freshman and sophomore seasons, to enable himself to handle 20+ carries a game. He averaged just over 22 carries/game. I actually prefer a smaller back with a low center of gravity. They are harder for defenders to "get under", meaning a defender can't get low leverage, standing the smaller back up. The smaller back can also get lost behind some of those behemoths up front. They also tend to be quicker and more agile.

Here's a pretty good read on whether size matters in a RB:
http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2011/03/15/does_size_matter_for_running_backs.php

Reaction Score
Compliments of the NVL Blog: 2012 NVL Season Highlights--Part 2 (lots of Arkeel Newsome, Part 1 coming soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom