Arkeel Newsome info from D. Conner | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome info from D. Conner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Desmond Conner wrote that Arkeel Newsome will be at Junior day. The interesting part was that he stated that he does not have an offer yet, but would commit if he received one. That would be a great way to start the 2014 recruiting class. Plus a couple of commitments for the class of 2013 would not be bad either. Should be an interesting couple of days. Hope the info keeps coming.

Reaction Score
Desmond Conner wrote that Arkeel Newsome will be at Junior day. The interesting part was that he stated that he does not have an offer yet, but would commit if he received one. That would be a great way to start the 2014 recruiting class. Plus a couple of commitments for the class of 2013 would not be bad either. Should be an interesting couple of days. Hope the info keeps coming.
You might want to reread the article. It said "Newsome is a member of the 2014 class but can still visit and commit if he’s offered a scholarship by UConn which he hasn’t been – yet."

Reaction Score

Where are you getting that idea from? If you're reading that from his blogpost, I don't think you're reading it right.

Reaction Score
Can't we just offer now and give him the jersey when he gets up there?
I would be incredibly surprised if we do not offer this weekend. Unless he has some insurmountable grade issue, I don't see any reason not to. By the way , I have no idea about his scholastic record. Hope he is a Husky soon.

Reaction Score
Getting a commit from a 2014 RB could have a negative impact on 2013 RB recruiting. He will likely leave with a promise of an offer in February 2013 if his grades are solid.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
most schools take a rb every year. small guy like him for 2014 won't scare away any 2013 rbs. u see the guys we have offered at rb this year? most of them are freaking huge. a newsome commit would be great on the ct front, skill front, early 14 class front, national media wise front etc...get it done PP he wants it.

also i saw that van allen is up there this morning now looking for a offer. keep him home PP! don't let RE think its funny coming up here trying to use his old bs on the trail...

Reaction Score
Getting a commit from a 2014 RB could have a negative impact on 2013 RB recruiting. He will likely leave with a promise of an offer in February 2013 if his grades are solid.

I don't understand this quote. Every BCS program should be laoding up on talent at every position, not afraid to make offers

Reaction Score
I don't understand this quote. Every BCS program should be laoding up on talent at every position, not afraid to make offers
I agree, we should try to get as many high profile players as possible. It seems like other schools receive commitments from highly regarded players at the same position all the time. Why is it that if UConn gets 1 highly rated player we automatically assume all others will shy away. If they are afraid of the UConn depth chart then what makes you think they can go somewhere else and have an easier path to playing time.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I just think that is a posters opinion, not what the coaching staff actually thinks, though.

Reaction Score
Apparently, our best in-state recruits even are at peace with the new Big East! We have to think of ourselves as new blood in the BCS world. That's what we are and what much of our conference is becoming.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Newsome is having a very good off-season, thus far. Playing for both Ansonia and the Jack Cochran coached CT All Stars in various passing leagues. Ansonia has been dominant, including a victory over Cochran's All Stars in one tournament. Ansonia looks loaded for another run at a state title. They return nearly all their skill players on offense and they return six 3-year starters on defense. Ansonia's, Andrew Matos (WR, 6'1, 200) and Xavier's Tim Boyle (QB) are also on the CT All Stars. Matos is an interesting kid. He is flying way under the radar. I don't know his academic history, but the kid is as talented athletically and physically as they come. If he was in a passing offense the kid would, without a doubt, be an All State WR. Great size, speed, and athletic ability, very physical player. He made one of the greatest catches I've ever seen in the Class M Championship Game against Ledyard. Good possession receiver with the ability to stretch the field vertically. He caught 22 passes for 496 yards (23 Yds/c), 6 TDs in 2011. He has 46 career receptions, 849 yards, and 13 TDs. He will be a senior in 2012.

Stop the video exactly at the 2:10 mark, then watch the next :06 closely. On a slip screen, Matos (#4) leaps (looking like the Jordan Jumpman logo) snatching the ball out of the air with one hand, picks up a bone-crunching block (from #6 on Ledyard's #16 at the 2:14 mark), runs over a DB, and picks up a first down.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/wQO8jT6mKB4

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
great info keith. thanks. any chance u know how newsomes weekend went and if a offer happened or will happen?

i heard vano is going scsu right?

Reaction Score
great info keith. thanks. any chance u know how newsomes weekend went and if a offer happened or will happen?

i heard vano is going scsu right?

I heard that he has family down in Alabama(i think father but not sure, it was awhile ago and third hand) and the impression i got is he would like to go South if possible

Like i said, its third hand at best, but the person does know him.

Reaction Score
I've been on vacation and haven't heard anything on Junior weekend. I was glad to see Newsome was going to be there. The passing league info was from things I have heard or read. I heard from a number of people that Ansonia might be even better this season. Although they lose their entire Oline, they have a good group of big young kids in the wings who are hungry for their shot. They are bigger, faster, and stronger then any team they've faced thus far in the passing leagues, including the CT All Stars.

Here are couple conversation on Ansonia:
This week AHS came out on top again beating Guilford, Weston, Cheshire, Trumbull, Newtown and Bunnell. The best matchup was the AHS vs Bunnell game. Bunnell's QB (Bryan Castelot) is probably the best QB in the SWC now and AHS shut them down. On offense AHS moved the ball with ease. Matos, Newsome, O'Conner, Finney and McKnight are making it look easy.

The QB (Caselot) has command of the offense, he's like a coach out there and can get the ball anywhere he needs to on the field. A college WR prospect could raise his stock being in his huddle.
The QB from Xavier, Boyle I think, plays with J. Cochrans CT all stars (so does Newsome and Matos), he is as good as advertised. He has good size, is poised and has a cannon for an arm so you could expect Xavier will be back in the mix again.
Cheshire and Ridgefield are who they are, well coached and fundamentally sound. I don't think Cheshire has the good to win anything this year and I'll have to see about Ridgefield.

A sleeper team could be New Milford,I don't know what they have on their line, but they have a very good QB and plenty of speed at WR. They could win some games this year.
Ansonia is the best team in the passing league. They are bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic than all of the teams in this passing league. Passing isn’t even their number one offensive option. What’s your opinion?
Your absolutely right, Ansonia is the fastest, biggest, and strongest team there. The secondary is so long and fast so they can cover so much ground, it makes the QB’s throw in very tight windows.

Vano is going to SCSU, but hasn't signed yet. His Dad sent me a text. He's very excited about the opportunity to play for Coach Cavanaugh. There were no scholarships available for 2012. However, he loved the staff, and they felt he could compete for time this season. He'll pay his own way this season. He's a very good student so hopefully he can get some academic assistance. I think he has a big upside, if he wants to the chance play on Sundays. Great kid. I wish him well and will likely catch a few of his games.

Reaction Score
Yes kris we wish Dylan the best. Elliot Chudwick and brenden litten signed for Milford academy. Schedule posted on mil website. They' re ready to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom