Arizona State v UConn | The Boneyard

Arizona State v UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Arizona State comes to Connecticut this weekend for three games. Tomorrow night at Quinnipiac, Friday versus UConn, and Saturday against Sacred Heart in Danbury. The Sun Devils have come out of the gate playing pretty well considering it is their first year at the D-1 level. After losing in overtime to Anchorage on Friday in Alaska, they turned around the next night and beat Alaska-Fairbanks. Although they were outshoot 40-23 Friday and 38-26 the following night, they put in two solid performances.

After UConn came out against Huntsville on Friday with a really solid performance and had a dominating third period, the team's performance on Saturday was lackluster, to say the least. Even though it was the second game of the season, I would consider Saturday's lost a bad lost. Even without Nichols in net, the team should be able to beat a team like Huntsville.

Is Friday nights game a "must" win? No. Is it a "definitely should" win? Yes. A legitimate team in Hockey East should not lose a game against a team in just their fourth D-1 game. I would expect UConn to have a comfortable victory, which includes controlling puck possession and zone time, especially since ASU is playing Quinnipiac the night before. (It will be interesting to see how a top twenty team like Quinnipiac handles ASU.) I think one big thing to look for is how the power play operates. It was not very impressive against Huntsville and a big problem the last couple years. It is important it show signs of life Friday night against a team like ASU.

When the season started, I thought UConn would head into the BU series at 3-0. After Saturday's loss, it will not happen. I thought it was important to head into a tough four game stretch against BU and Notre Dame with three wins in the bag. With the loss Saturday, it looks like they will head in at 2-1. Asking for more than two wins against BU and Notre Dame is asking a lot from UConn at this point in time. That is why it is important to have a really solid performance and come out with win number two of the year. If somehow they lost Friday, they could be staring at a disastrous 1-6 or 2-5 start.

Reaction Score
Only 4,000 sold thus far for opening night per Mike Anthony. Wonder what walk up will be considering it is First Night as we all now and the fact it is not a HE team or powerhouse non-HE team.

5000 would be OK all things considered I'd guess.

Reaction Score
I do not know the exact number of how many the lower bowl holds for UConn hockey but just checking the XL center site it looks like there are less than 500 remaining.

Reaction Score
I do not know the exact number of how many the lower bowl holds for UConn hockey but just checking the XL center site it looks like there are less than 500 remaining.

It holds around 5,600.

Reaction Score
Wish I could go to the XL Center but for those of you who may want to see a more competitive game (don't hold your breath, we did lose to UAH), go to Danbury on Saturday night for Arizona State vs Sacred Heart. Same fundraising game vs UConn last year but SHU is doing a horrible job of making tickets available. I am assuming they are depending on a walk up crowd. The freaking rink only had 50 tickets for sale.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I forgot to mention, barely any of those 50 tickets sold, so far. Contacting Danbury Ice Arena beforehand helps. Former home of the legendary Danbury Trashers.

Reaction Score
Sacred Heart should be playing their home games at Webster Arena. I understand they would not draw much of a crowd and maybe it is not in their budget, but to have a Division 1 hockey team playing at the Milford Ice Pavilion is a joke. The hockey program deserves a lot better. It has to be an extremely difficult recruiting pitch to get recruits to agree to play at a rink like that.

Reaction Score
Just watching the first half of the first period between Quinnipiac and Arizona State, the difference in speed between the two teams is night and day. ASU clearly a step or two behind. Quinnipiac dominating zone time and puck possession.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac wins 5-0. ASU goalie was pretty good considering what he had to deal with. Kept the game from being 13-0. Shots in the game 57-14. ASU completely outclassed and two steps behind. UConn should dominate tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
Tickets: What is the "Promotional Code" referenced on UCONN's website? Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
Tickets: What is the "Promotional Code" referenced on UCONN's website? Thanks in advance.
That's if there is a promotion (or you have some special connections). It's on there as a default option.

Reaction Score
UConnMHOC 9:08pm via Twitter Web Client
Final Score from Hartford - Huskies Beat Arizona State, 5-1 #IceBus
CReyhusUAAAL6bl.png

Reaction Score
This game was a clinic. UConn looked relentless against inferior competition.
You were not at the same game I was at. I thought considering their competition their performance was average at best. If ASU was a Hockey East team, it would have been a loss.

Reaction Score
ASU even getting off 25 shots is not good on our part.

Reaction Score
First the positives:

Gendron is a great skating defenseman, best on team. He is going to be a star in Hockey East.

Letunov is a great playmaker. He does get too fancy at times, though. Some of it had to with opponent tonight, too.

Thompson will be an absolute force when he grows into his body and adds strength.

The only question is how many years they will play at UConn. If they stay at UConn through their junior years, they are going to be a force.

The freshmen are playing great. They are the most noticeable on the ice.

Negatives from tonight:

The crowd was completely silent the whole night. No enthusiasm. Of course, some of it had to do with the opponent but it was not good.

The student section was non existent.

If the first period was played against a Hockey East team, UConn would have been down 3-0 instead of up by three goals by the first intermission. They were outplayed for big stretches in the first. Not good when their opponent was outshot 57-14 the night before.

In games 2 and 3 of the season, there have been many lulls in the team's play. Cannot have those from here on out.

I just thought the performance was nothing special considering it was against a team that
will win 3 or 4 games this season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ASU was the worst breakout team I've ever seen, high school, prep, any league. They'll be good eventually but my god are they bad right now.

Reaction Score
UConn won, and thats the most important thing. However, they played a very sloppy game. They really struggled breaking the puck out of their own zone for stretches during the game. If UConn played like they played tonight against a upper tier Hockey East team, they would have lost. It wasn't all negative however, the talent level on the team has definitely been upgraded over last year. When Thompson and Letunov hit the weight room and get stronger, look out. Also Gendron is going to be a really good defensemen. He is a really strong skater.

Reaction Score
El-Mir had some nice hits. Ronan is fast as always. It's good to see OJ and Richardson. I know one of them was hurt most of last year. Drake looked good. Naas is nasty for 2nd year, no so. slump.
Their power play STILL STINKS. It will get better.

Gendron will attack a lot as defenseman. I agree Thompson is getting knocked Around cause he so tall and not strong enough yet in that frame.

Like the 2nd UAH game and ASU, I think they didn't give 100% . They need to for BU.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Remember- they're still pretty young and injected more scholarship kids, so in a way the team is younger. It's early.

Definitely need to play 50x better to beat BU. I think.

Reaction Score
Of course, winning unimpressively is always better than losing a game you dominate. Northeastern outshot Bentley 51-11 tonight and lost 3-2. OUCH

Well, the big boy schedule starts in full force next Saturday. No room for lackadaisical stretches in games.

It will be interesting to see how the freshmen look against much higher skill level teams.

Reaction Score
ASU did get a win and an OT loss last weekend to both Alaska schools. Neither of them are terribly good, but for a team made up of mostly club players, that's not unimpressive. Lots of teams have early season kinks to work out. The W is the W, take it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom