Aresco: We are losing multiple schools | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aresco: We are losing multiple schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Big 12 prefers to decide on expansion teams before start of 2016 season

“The Big 12 would prefer to wrap up the expansion process before the start of the 2016 football season, three persons with knowledge of the ongoing process told CBS Sports on Thursday.”

The fact that they are making such a quick decision, gives me hope for UConn. If they are deciding in the next month, chances are they have known who they are going to expand with from the beginning. Given all the B12 and UConn "talks" in the past year, along with the UConn billboards appearing in Texas 6 months ago--that may be a good sign. Here's hoping!

Reaction Score
As a Kansas fan, the Big 12 should take UC and UCONN, Houston and BYU as football only. That makes the most sense. If the Big 12 adds Memphis, I hope it folds in eight years, and we land somewhere. I know KU is pulling for UCONN because of academics and basketball, but in the end, we usually do what Texas tells us to do...sigh.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Memphis woof. Every time I read that I feel like I need a shower. From a university president perspective I can't wrap my head around how you can feel good cozying up with them or U_F. If it's using any criteria other than number of football wins the last 3 years and is it a 1 hour flight vs a 3 hour flight I can't see us being left out. If it's academics markets and overall athletic success were a no brainier.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
However, this quote from Aresco makes me fear that the death-blow to UConn is about to come:

“Everybody knows what Navy can do. Chad Morris is going to get things going at SMU. Scott Frost is going to do a good job at UCF. Keep an eye on Bob Diaco at UConn; they are going to be pretty good,” Aresco said. “We have a lot of really good coaches.”

Aresco would likely not be promoting UConn if they were about to leave the conference. The fact that he includes UConn in his "don't worry, the conference will be fine" message is not a good sign at all. Note that he doesn't hype Cincy, Memphis, Houston in this quote.

WE ARE DOOMED!

Reaction Score
However, this quote from Aresco makes me fear that the death-blow to UConn is about to come:

“Everybody knows what Navy can do. Chad Morris is going to get things going at SMU. Scott Frost is going to do a good job at UCF. Keep an eye on Bob Diaco at UConn; they are going to be pretty good,” Aresco said. “We have a lot of really good coaches.”

Aresco would likely not be promoting UConn if they were about to leave the conference. The fact that he includes UConn in his "don't worry, the conference will be fine" message is not a good sign at all. Note that he doesn't hype Cincy, Memphis, Houston in this quote.

WE ARE DOOMED!

I mean he also never mentioned UConn but constantly referenced Louisville last time around, so who the hell knows.

Reaction Score
MHV talked about BYU getting FB, men's and women's hoops

That could make sense for UConn too and b12 if they are UConn's partner and then UH, Cincy for all sports

Does the B12 contract account for FB only?

And didn't he just talk about it?

I'd be fine with FB only if the (shudders) the BE would take everything else. Not idea or the best outcome but it gives FB a shot to elevate and BB a better conference.

Money wise it sounds not so great. But money for us is really third. Behind P5 access and brand exposure.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

WE ARE DOOMED!
He was pumping Houston like a line above.

Reaction Score

WE ARE DOOMED!
Not a quote that breeds confidence for UCONN or UCF,

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
I mean he also never mentioned UConn but constantly referenced Louisville last time around, so who the hell knows.

That is because, at the time, UConn was going to be the ACC's selection instead of Louisville. That is why he was hyping Louisville at the time. I am pretty sure that Herbst/UConn had talked to Aresco and told him that we were most likely leaving for the ACC--that is how sure UConn was at the time that we were being selected. But we all know what happened after that.

Reaction Score

Hell, at this rate you folks are gonna need the industrial Ativan Mister:

upload_2016-7-29_11-11-58.jpeg

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
He was pumping Houston like a line above.

But if you read the context of the his discussion on Houston, he wasn't hyping Houston...he was justifying why Houston is going to be selected by the B12:

He’s aware that Houston looks like a strong possibility, given the state of the program (13-1 under Tom Herman last season, beating Florida State in the Peach Bowl, and 88 wins in the past 10 seasons) and that Texas governor Greg Abbott has said Big 12 expansion without Houston “is a non-starter.”

“I can understand that because Tom (Herman) has done a great job at Houston,” Aresco said. “I talked to a lot of coaches and they were impressed by Houston last season. And if this year’s team has a big year against that schedule (which includes Oklahoma and Louisville), they have to be considered a playoff team.”

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I hadn't yet but that makes some sense.
Yes and no. Part of the benefit to Texas is easy travel for their olympic sports.

Reaction Score
That is because, at the time, UConn was going to be the ACC's selection instead of Louisville. That is why he was hyping Louisville at the time. I am pretty sure that Herbst/UConn had talked to Aresco and told him that we were most likely leaving for the ACC--that is how sure UConn was at the time that we were being selected. But we all know what happened after that.

Or, and hear me out here, it's entirely possible Mike Aresco has no idea what's going to happen and even moreso he's rattling off coaches names on the fly and Bob Diaco is one of the bigger names in the conference at the moment?

Also, the 4 schools he referenced are all youngish and up-and-coming coaches of emerging programs in the conference. Navy, SMU, UCF and UConn. Ken N. (51), Chad Moore (47) Bob Diaco (43) and Scott Frost (41).

Reaction Score
If I'm the AAC, whether UConn leaves or not, I'm enforcing every word of the exit agreement for each school trying to leave. If anyone tries to leave early, I'm suing the bejesus out of you for as much money as I can get.

It'll be about buying time and extracting as much money as possible for those left behind.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ah fahk. You can feel the kick coming. If this goes south..... I just don't know.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It is remarkable how much meaning some of you can divine from some fairly vague quotes. I'm pessimistic by nature about these things and even I didn't read that much into his quotes other than "we're gonna lose some members.'

Reminder - Aresco was touting the Louisville-Cincinnati rivalry about seven hours before Louisville was voted into the ACC.

CL82

Reaction Score
"We're gonna lose some members.' is enough. It means its happening and history has not been kind to us. This also seems like the last life boat.

I'm worried.

(And frankly the phrase "I'm sorry but you are going to lose your member" has to be among the most terror inducing in the world.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger