1. The cesspool is now available to unregistered users. If you enjoy politics, feel free to read posts, or register to participate. Scroll down. You'll find the cesspool under "Off Topic Boards."
    Dismiss Notice

Arena names invitees for USMNT January camp

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by SAMCRO, Jan 6, 2017.

1. SAMCRO

SAMCRO

It's all MLS (the European players are all in season... Bundesliga is the only league that takes a winter break, but they resume games 1/20). Two friendlies scheduled against Serbia (Jan. 29) and Jamaica (Feb. 3)

Zardes, Nagbe, Felhaber all invited.

LINK

2. LIuconn

LIuconn

About what I was expecting. I also half expect Dax and Benny to start the next WCQ

3. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

Camp Cupcake in session. Still Wondo, but at least no Beckerman (or Donovan)

4. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Benny is good, I liked Juergen but he got that one wrong.

5. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

O.K., I'll bite. What do you have to be negative about exactly? That we have a camp that European based players can't attend? Even when the alternative is to lose the opportunity to have a camp at all and it was never meant to represent our first team? What?

6. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Camp JV team is better. Benny is the best #10 in the pool though. Only Sacha came close to those numbers over the past 2 seasons.

I know some people that are pretty well connected to Sporting KC ownership. Word is that Benny got blackballed by a few players (probably led by Beckerman, strong hunch) and he has been excluded over conflicts.

7. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

I thought both Benny and Sachs deserved chances from JK long before Sachs got his. But as much as I disliked JK, if we want to be fair neither one of them seized their spots when they got the change to earlier in their careers.

ZooCougar likes this.
  8. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Weren't they regulars under Bradley? I think Benny was on the field a bunch in South Africa in 2010.

Benny really changed since he transferred to KC. He's more of a two way player and way more fit. His free kick ability is scary good which is why he has so many assists. Honestly, if Sporting hadn't resigned him to a new contract then I probably would have canceled my tickets because he was one of two or three players left worth paying money to see.

He had rep for being lazy on the defensive side of the ball. The good thing with him is that is low mileage for his age.

Sachs was really mediocre in Belgium. Which is why I think Jurgen was unimpressed. But... Every time I have seen him in person in MLS he stands out and is usually the best guy on the ball. Both are pure #10s and are the best at that role regardless of which league they are in.

Even still, Jurgen kept calling in AWFUL Mix Diskerud over those guys. Mix can't even get on the field in MLS and absolutely nobody wants him.

One thing that I agree with Bruce Arena on is that we need a better passer in the middle. Michael Bradley has fallen off and Jermaine Jones is unreliable. Bedoya is not really all that great centrally in my opinion.

The other thing I will agree with Bruce on is trying Graham Zusi at right back. This was something Sporting did with him one or two times last season and it didn't look bad at all. He just doesn't have the pace to be a forward anymore. That poor guy declined precipitously after the last world cup.

9. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

Wondo. What?

10. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

If you ever see Wondo on the field under Arena in a meaningful game I'll listen. But for a 30 man roster of just MLS players to make the camp work, it's hardly stupid.

11. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

Never said stupid, just pointless. A 29 man roster probably works just as well.

12. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

Would it be pointless if Arena thinks his senior status and work ethic make him a good example for newer national pool players at the camp?

I'm on your side about wanting to see him ever play meaningful minutes for us again, but with Pulisic, Johansson, Bobby Wood, Boyd, Rubin, Perez, et al. All playing in Europe, I just don't think his inclusion is worth mentioning.

13. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

Yes.

You have Rimando, Beasley, Zusi, Bradley, Jones, Bedoya, Kjlestan, Altidore. You think they can't handle the leadership stuff? You just GOT to have Wondo in there, or everything will fall apart??????

You know, I didn't say it originally, but it is stupid.

Anytime he is associated with the MNT, it's worth mentioning....in a negative manner.

14. ZooCougar

ZooCougar