Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Win the AAC in football ,
Get invited to a higher level Bowl,
Win thst Bowl
Sell out or near sell out the Rent for every game
I suspect there would be multiple P5 offers
The narrative of the closed door changes very quickly ,all the reasons for denial evaporate.
As my mother use to say "Were there is a will there is a way"

Reaction Score
Simple.

With new distribution platforms, the ENTIRE level beyond the top 12-15 is in play. The games are indistinguishable if they don't have a top Brand in them. Therefore, the $23-45m per University contracts are overstated from this day forward. And the AAC ... zoocougar ... is due a higher per University pay. Not $23m; but certainly in the teens. And Never ... don't give away the Tier 3 on WBB & MBB like the last go-around. We have the Brand in those sports to get paid. The B12 may do nothing because of all this swirling around and politics. They ought to "Grab the Cash". Why? This feels like the final years of the Big East as well: they aren't going to be able to keep the top few (UT & OU) after 2024.

Cord cutting may be and streaming through devices may be as industry changing as talkies coming to movies or cable coming to TV. You just don't know yet. You can get wonderful production values easily in this era beyond ESPN.

I think you answered the key question: Purdue & Northwestern didn't drive that extension; Houston & SMU can play/be valued at that level. The contracts for the latter must rise because the distribution channels are going to be greater.

Let me know when Hulu & Netflix have the ability to pay the B1G $2.6 BILLION like FOX & ESPN are.

I'm not saying that the way we view sports in the future won't change. What I am saying is until somebody has the ability to write the checks for the content you are living in a fantasy world.

Reaction Score
Let me know when Hulu & Netflix have the ability to pay the B1G $2.6 BILLION like FOX & ESPN are.

I'm not saying that the way we view sports in the future won't change. What I am saying is until somebody has the ability to write the checks for the content you are living in a fantasy world.

Sure. Look at the $2.6b.

That's the Dog looking at the next Dog's food dish ... and thinking he needs to grab some of that. Our slice is a piece of $126m for 7 years. Do the Math.

There's no Willy Wonka gold ticket coming. No Lucky Sperm Rutgers for our dear Campus.

Who has the fantasy ... the ones thinking the ACC or B1G are calling? I'm saying the B12 process exposed our future. I think it's 50/50 they take zero or take four. From there, the options for everyone in the Bachelor green room have expanded. ESPN isn't going to control this market going forward.

Reaction Score

If Twitter and Yahoo can write checks for NFL games there is no reason to think other sports won't follow.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The idea that somehow ESPN is going to go away or that they will not play their outsized role in this market is nonsense.

Twitter is writing checks for peanuts - they paid $10m for ten NFL games.

If and when streaming becomes significant, the big broadcast networks will be the major players - Twitter ain't bumping Disney to the sidelines.

Reaction Score
We are already seeing changes to TV so there is no reason to think that won't continue. ESPN had this all to itself for years, now fox has moved in but there will be more competition, to think otherwise is naive.

10Million would get Twitter a pretty nice chunk of the MW or AAC's content as in what like 4 schools for the year. Just having competition for g-5 conferences TV contracts will be good as they seem to get undervalued.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Right on cue -

ESPN might let customers buy streaming sports a la carte

ESPN is sitting on “treasure trove of rights that for 99 percent of sports it isn’t exploiting on new platforms,” Iger said at the Goldman Sachs Communacopia conference in Manhattan. “This is a monetization goldmine.”

The teams in the power five conference with the large media corporations and conference networks backing them will be in much better position to monetize new forms of content delivery. The gap will get larger, not smaller.

Reaction Score
Right on cue. Live college sports on twitter/sling neither ESPN or Fox are involved. Imagine that. LOL.

Pac-12 Networks Announces Live Streaming Partnership with Twitter

SAN FRANCISCO (July 14, 2016) – Pac-12 Networks announced today that Twitter will be its premier streaming partner for Pac-12 Plus, a broadband network of live events produced by the conference’s 12 universities, with at least 150 games over the 2016-2017 academic year live streamed to fans on Twitter.

And

Dish Networks' SlingTV signs up Pac-12 college football games
SlingTV has signed-up the regional college sports networks of the PAC-12, bolstering its offerings as it prepares a marketing campaign targeting pay-TV subscribers.
All six PAC-12 networks will collectively offer about 800 sporting events, viewable through SlingTV regardless of location.
For SlingTV, the marketing campaign and securing new offerings, especially live sports, is critical if the fledgling service is to reverse Dish Network's overall subscriber decline, and if it is to succeed in competing with similar services such as the Sony's (SNE) PlayStation Vue and Hulu. Hulu, in particular, is expected to unveil its own Internet-based television service early next year though the exact details of package are not yet known.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hey, 'member when the Big East was due for a nice fat payday from NBC? Good times.
south-park-s20e01-member-berries_16x9.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sling is doing nothing new. It's trying to be your television provider by paying the same people your cable company pays to show you sports. They didn't side-step the power brokers, they're not offering some new and exotic form of content delivery...they're paying power conferences and ESPN for content and then your internet provider for delivery. Who do you think they called when they had to make a deal to show the SEC Network? (Hint - it started with 860...)

It's like seeing your paper boy using a new bike and thinking the newspaper is different.

This isn't hard.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how ESPN tries to bring something direct.

Their contracts with the carriers don't allow it - it is going to be a war.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Win the AAC in football ,
Get invited to a higher level Bowl,
Win thst Bowl
Sell out or near sell out the Rent for every game
I suspect there would be multiple P5 offers
The narrative of the closed door changes very quickly ,all the reasons for denial evaporate.
As my mother use to say "Were there is a will there is a way"

whats crazy is if we win out then all of this comes to fruition

Reaction Score
The college football viewing audience is driven by name brands, not what hypothetical matchup would produce a better game. We will see what happens if the AAC is intact and puts its product back on the open market again in the future. Can the AAC schools increase in value because of MARKETS?
I think the audience is sold on rankings. It's sold on the underdog beating up a heavy favorite. It likes winners.
Boise State wasn't a household name until it won against the big boys.

Houston v Louisville could be a huge game viewership wise if both teams are highly ranked. Houston and Louisville are hardly household brands.

If the AAC can produce games like this someone might bid on the league. It needs a team in the top 20, and ideally Top 10 for that to happen.
Houston, cincy, and the fl schools could make that happen.

Reaction Score
Right on cue -

ESPN might let customers buy streaming sports a la carte

ESPN is sitting on “treasure trove of rights that for 99 percent of sports it isn’t exploiting on new platforms,” Iger said at the Goldman Sachs Communacopia conference in Manhattan. “This is a monetization goldmine.”

The teams in the power five conference with the large media corporations and conference networks backing them will be in much better position to monetize new forms of content delivery. The gap will get larger, not smaller.
Sounds like ESPN just discovered Pay Per View.... Game Changer.

Reaction Score
I disagree.

I think comparable industries over time that are struck with a technological advance did not maintain positions for the top dominant participant. I guess you will have to wait to see ...

Reaction Score
I disagree.

I think comparable industries over time that are struck with a technological advance did not maintain positions for the top dominant participant. I guess you will have to wait to see ...

I disagree with your disagreement. Why? Because the is the BoneYard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom