Apologista Roll Call | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Apologista Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Loved him while he was here. Skeptical he'll step in and recapture the magic but have to hope for the best at this point.

Reaction Score
I was really hoping it would be someone different, get someone on the offensive side of the ball, etc.

I railed against (F)HCRE when he left for how he left, kind of a lebron type love/hate - all while wholeheartedly admitting I was bummed when he left. I would venture to say most of this board was bummed about him actually leaving for greener pastures and we were left wandering.

So with that, I'll join the apologista bandwagon on three conditions:

1.) He has figured out how to remove the so called ceiling he reached at UConn - and states exactly how he plans to execute that vision (i.e. allowing your oc to open up his offense, such as Moorhead)
2.) He apologizes on Friday for how he departed, more so than his comment today in the Courant
3.) Jordan Todman gives his blessing. (Why? See #1, and along with that, him making Todman tell the locker room he was leaving for the NFL after the bowl game)

We are well aware of Edsall's ability to recruit and coach up under the radar kids, and I know we are not in the B1G or ACC, but I hope Edsall can recruit up to the level he did while he was at MD. He actually had some really solid classes at least based on stars (I know, I know, rigged system and all), so perhaps we'll get an upgrade in the 2.0 version.

Reaction Score
I have zero problem with his approach to players. I follow Maryland closely (went there for 2 years). Coach Edsall entered a tough situation there. Friedgen let players do what they wanted. Locker room didn't like being held accountable. Enter Coach Edsall. Players whined, many left, some kicked off team, and others, led by QB Danny O'Brien were very vocal. (He transferred to Wisconsin and played horrendously). We need him to have same tough approach holding players accountable on and off the field.

What I am hoping for is a kinder and gentler Randy to media and local coaches.

I'm not sure he was ever unkind to local coaches. The coaches who didn't like him were coaches who were used to sending I-AA players to UCOnn and didn't like that Edsall would no longer take the same quality player. Not sure being nicer to them in the conversation was going to change their disapproval.

EVen today, we've heard from coaches who loved the staff's openness to the high school coaching community.

Reaction Score
Randy certainly isn't the rah rah type to give a jolt to the fanbase, but as we found out with Diaco, that wears thin very quickly.

I think a lot of us were clamoring for Moorhead (insert joke) but that didn't seem to be in the cards.

I also don't think Fleck or Miles were realistic candidates either.

That either leaves you with the up and comers (JMU, ODU) or the "retreads" Schiano, Golden, and Randy.

At that point, it makes sense that they went with the guy who built the program and you know can build a foundation. The unknowns may have a better ceiling but if they crash and burn you may as well shut the whole thing down.

I don't know how quickly Randy will win here again to the extent he did in the Big East but I feel confident that we'll play hard, be coached well, return kicks and punts and not screw up the clock and timeouts this fall. By year 3 though, I'm confident we will be contending for the AAC Eastern division.

Don't think for one second that crashing and burning is not a distinct possibility here . . .

Reaction Score
We haven't cruised to a victory over our FBS opponent since -- I'm struggling to remember. P's first year maybe?

Fordham in his first year, I think. 35-3 0r something like that.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure he was ever unkind to local coaches. The coaches who didn't like him were coaches who were used to sending I-AA players to UCOnn and didn't like that Edsall would no longer take the same quality player. Not sure being nicer to them in the conversation was going to change their disapproval.

EVen today, we've heard from coaches who loved the staff's openness to the high school coaching community.

This is exactly right. We shouldn't let a bunch clowns from the god forsaken Naugatuck Valley hijack the program. We already tried that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Don't think for one second that crashing and burning is not a distinct possibility here . . .

I'm sure it is, just like with any hire.

Given what we know of Edsall I think he is the best bet to not fail given our presumed candidates.

Reaction Score
Sorry. Count me an ex long time season ticket holder. I think there will be more than a few of us in that category. This goes against all of the hoopla re making UCONN football exciting again
We are officially confirmed as the laughing stock of college football.
Bullsheet!!! See you later Padutch.... if you are bailing now because we are the laughingstock, then you were going to bail anyway. Just an excuse,
BTW, I am a long time season ticket holder looking to improve my seats.... where were your seats? LOL

we were the laughing stock..... last in FBS offense. Losses to Tulane at home, ditto SMU in the year prior....

DB's hands were not tied by Suzie and he did what was needed. That's not laughingstock.

Reaction Score
I am getting too old to become a Stanford football fan even though they are very close to me and tickets are always available.

I be happy if Edsall can somehow get us close to where Stanford is at right now. They also had bunch of horrible coaches before Harbough. Their style of play is also similar to the old Edsall teams under Shaw.

Reaction Score
The things we used to complain about with Edsall were just so minor. It's amazing what a few years and some terrible performances will do for your perspective.

What Edsall did here was pretty hard to do. He and the staff were standing on their heads getting those results.

As for the offense? When he had good QBs like Orlovsky, Endres, Frazier and even Lorenzen in 2007 the offense put up some good numbers.

We kept up with and beat an Art Briles coached and Robert Griffin led Baylor-TWICE.

Now that we gave Randy a second chance, we deserve to not worry about who he might jump ship to and he needs to focus on making UConn football great again.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
apologista, all the way.

I am cautiously optimistic, since the world has changed since he left, but the quality of character that I saw in the 12 years is a block to build on. The former players are excited, and we can rebuild our base to grow from again.

Not spectacular, but definitely a hire that can build from.

and I hope Balis stays. I hope that A LOT.

Reaction Score
Obviously I'm tenured lifetime member of the RE Apologista fan club and here's a reason you should feel good about this hire.

Forget the way he left, he'll apologize and then we can be done with it.

UConn football is Randy Edsall's baby. Unfortunately he gave it up for adoption, only to see it get abused for the past 6 years.

I have no doubt he regretted every second he was away from UConn and it pained him more than anyone to see his baby abused the way it was.

I don't doubt for a second he has learned a lot over the years and I fully expect him to be more flexible and most certainly I believe he and DB have come to an agreement that the UConn offense needs to be more exciting and RE is willing to hire that type of OC and leave him alone.

Did you ever do something and regret it, but never had the chance to make up for it? Randy has a chance at a reset and I would be shocked if he did not succeed.

By the way. If he can recruit and coach up players for the Big East and win it, he certainly can do the same in the AAC. What made that work for him was continuity with the coaching staff, so that will be key.

My hope is Foley and Wholley return to give it that old time UConn flavor.

O Fortuna lightly grilled please.

Oh, and screw you Hathaway.
Art I'm sure is was a million times worse that is was PP and GDL doing it. There was never any love lost between those 3..especially PP and Randy.

Reaction Score
I have zero problem with his approach to players. I follow Maryland closely (went there for 2 years). Coach Edsall entered a tough situation there. Friedgen let players do what they wanted. Locker room didn't like being held accountable. Enter Coach Edsall. Players whined, many left, some kicked off team, and others, led by QB Danny O'Brien were very vocal. (He transferred to Wisconsin and played horrendously). We need him to have same tough approach holding players accountable on and off the field.

What I am hoping for is a kinder and gentler Randy to media and local coaches.
I think the only difference the kids on the team will see from Diaco is Edsall is tough love...they had it pretty structured under him...he did here what Edsall did at MD.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You mentioned in anothe thread, a total rebuild.

At UConn and MD, HCRE did that and lost bigly.

Do you think RE2.0 needs to tear down and rebuild or do we have enough to win 4 or 5 games?
There is no reason why we can't win 6-7 games next year. This year's team should have won 8-9. Edsall doesn't lose the Navy or Syracuse games, and he doesn't lose the team for the final five games.

Reaction Score
2 things that must happen for Edsall to have success.

• 1. Find a QB who can actually throw the ball effectively and stand in the pocket with pressure around him. Haven't had that since Dan O 12 years ago, but other P6 schools seem to be able to find some of these spread offense gun slinger types on a regular basis.
  • 2. Bring in legit OC or up and coming guy with good track record and hand him the keys to the offense. He has to have faith in this guy and focus on the D.

Reaction Score
I didn't read through all of the posts so sorry if I repeated anything. Also, please keep in mind that I am just a fan who never played organized ball so I tend to keep things simplistic (i.e. the "Eye Test")
Under Edsall I expect we will:
Be better disciplined.
Be better organized.
Be better prepared.
Will win the games we should win, lose the games we should lose, and split the toss ups.
Let's be honest; for the last 6 years we were a pair of clown shoes. If Randy Edsall brings us back to being respectable (or mediocre for the dreamers) then it is a step in the right direction. Not Alabama, but right now we are looking up at UMass and Tulane...
Bash away.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I was really hoping it would be someone different, get someone on the offensive side of the ball, etc.

I railed against (F)HCRE when he left for how he left, kind of a lebron type love/hate - all while wholeheartedly admitting I was bummed when he left. I would venture to say most of this board was bummed about him actually leaving for greener pastures and we were left wandering.

So with that, I'll join the apologista bandwagon on three conditions:

1.) He has figured out how to remove the so called ceiling he reached at UConn - and states exactly how he plans to execute that vision (i.e. allowing your oc to open up his offense, such as Moorhead)
2.) He apologizes on Friday for how he departed, more so than his comment today in the Courant
3.) Jordan Todman gives his blessing. (Why? See #1, and along with that, him making Todman tell the locker room he was leaving for the NFL after the bowl game)

We are well aware of Edsall's ability to recruit and coach up under the radar kids, and I know we are not in the B1G or ACC, but I hope Edsall can recruit up to the level he did while he was at MD. He actually had some really solid classes at least based on stars (I know, I know, rigged system and all), so perhaps we'll get an upgrade in the 2.0 version.

I don't understand the Todman issue. Jordan leaving early for the NFL was a good thing to share with his teammates. I can't imagine RE telling Jordan to tell them being punishment or somehow embarrassing him. It was something to celebrate after losing a game to an amazing team in OK,

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I will not be getting on board the Edsall train. Benedict can't hire a defensive coach when he promised us offense.

I'm not so sure Benedict made this call, at least not all on his own. This decision has Bob Burton's fingerprints all over it, because either he or a group of big time donors led by him put up the cash to get Diablo outta here. It's their money so they get to have their say.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
My fandom came after the Dan O years but my "issue" with HCRE was that his game philosophy was to minimize mistakes (penalties, turnovers, etc), win the line of scrimmage and the bend but don't break defense. Against teams that were competent / more explosive on offense than us it wasn't able to work. Against inferior teams (FCS), particularly those without a quick hitting passing attack or dual threat QB, it worked really well.

This was what led me to believe we had a ceiling on performance under HCRE.

At a minimum, I expect the existing team we have to be more competent in 2017 under HCRE but certainly nothing spectacular. My hope is that longer-term, we can uptick recruiting and get more explosive talent which will allow us to pursue some more exciting strategies. But I really want to hear from HCRE whether his philosophy on football has changed at all because if that same philosophy is the new normal again, it's really hard to get excited.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the Todman issue. Jordan leaving early for the NFL was a good thing to share with his teammates. I can't imagine RE telling Jordan to tell them being punishment or somehow embarrassing him. It was something to celebrate after losing a game to an amazing team in OK,

It is a positive thing for Jordan getting a shot in the NFL a year early. But the fact that he made Jordan do it on his timeline as opposed to Jordan's own timeline and didn't do the same thing himself knowing within hours he'd be signing papers as the new MD coach rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

"“IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF BECAUSE HE MADE JORDAN (TODMAN) ADDRESS THE TEAM LAST NIGHT TO SAY HE WAS LEAVING. AND HE ISN’T MAN ENOUGH TO DO IT FACE TO FACE TO US?”

“A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE JUST REALLY UPSET BY THE CALL. HE MADE TODMAN GET UP AND TELL THE WHOLE TEAM: ‘JORDAN, I THINK YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO THESE GUYS.’ HE MADE HIM DO IT FACE-TO-FACE. BUT HE DIDN’T DO IT FACE-TO-FACE.”"

Randy Edsall - Randy Edsall Leaves UConn - Edsall Maryland

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
It is a positive thing for Jordan getting a shot in the NFL a year early. But the fact that he made Jordan do it on his timeline as opposed to Jordan's own timeline and didn't do the same thing himself knowing within hours he'd be signing papers as the new MD coach rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

"“IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF BECAUSE HE MADE JORDAN (TODMAN) ADDRESS THE TEAM LAST NIGHT TO SAY HE WAS LEAVING. AND HE ISN’T MAN ENOUGH TO DO IT FACE TO FACE TO US?”

“A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE JUST REALLY UPSET BY THE CALL. HE MADE TODMAN GET UP AND TELL THE WHOLE TEAM: ‘JORDAN, I THINK YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO THESE GUYS.’ HE MADE HIM DO IT FACE-TO-FACE. BUT HE DIDN’T DO IT FACE-TO-FACE.”"

Randy Edsall - Randy Edsall Leaves UConn - Edsall Maryland

And he's already started addressing his departure in the initial press release. I'm sure he'll have plenty of opportunities to say more later. But once again, Jordan's news was a positive to be shared. Requiring Jordan Todman's blessing for you to be happy about HCRE's return is pretty ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom