AP Reporting Amanda Zahui Declaring for WNBA Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Reporting Amanda Zahui Declaring for WNBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a Cal fan thus pretty familiar with Grey and Boyd, and although I haven't seen a ton of Zahui B., I'm not sure I wouldn't pick her ahead of both. Boyd is not a good shooter and Grey is a little undersized for a WNBA post and lacks some of the finesse I saw from Zahui B. I'd say Grey is a lot like Glory Johnson but perhaps a notch below that level.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
kat0189 said:
I'm a Cal fan thus pretty familiar with Grey and Boyd, and although I haven't seen a ton of Zahui B., I'm not sure I wouldn't pick her ahead of both. Boyd is not a good shooter and Grey is a little undersized for a WNBA post and lacks some of the finesse I saw from Zahui B. I'd say Grey is a lot like Glory Johnson but perhaps a notch below that level.

Don't disagree here. I've said before that this years draft is about need as there isn't one dominant player (Moore, Charles, McCoughtry).

I would pick AZB over Gray and even possibly Williams. As far as PGs go I would take Samantha Logic all day long over Boyd.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree here. I've said before that this years draft is about need as there isn't one dominant player (Moore, Charles, McCoughtry).

I would pick AZB over Gray and even possibly Williams. As far as PGs go I would take Samantha Logic all day long over Boyd.

Yeah, I also don't know who I'd pick between Zahui B. and Liz Williams. I've seen Williams play great but also seen her disappear sometimes.

Boyd can be spectacular and fun to watch, but while she pulls a lot of rabbits out of her hat like a magician making circus shots, she is inconsistent with simply hitting open shots, both mid-range and 3-pointers. Kind of reminds me Natalie Novosel in this regard. She also makes a lot of risky passes that often result in turnovers, but I actually think she'll clean that up as a pro with better talent to pass to.

Reaction Score
My 'sleeper' pick in the draft is Sam Logic. She has a great overall game, she can do it all. Logic reminds me a whole lot of one of my favorite players and one of the WNBA's best- Lindsay Whalen. Both are 5'9, really strong, good shooters, tremendous passers, quality defenders, aggressive, fearless, winners.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On top of her age, this particular draft is a great one to declare early for. There aren't a ton of excellent players vying for spots. Amanda will likely get drafted earlier in this class vs. next year's monster class. Incidentally, next year's class is also a reason why Morgan might benefit from using her full eligibility. The year after next probably won't be as strong.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, there's not enough money in the WNBA to incent students to give up scholarships worth 40-50,000 a year.

And then she'll make real good bucks overseas. There's this belief for some reason that players don't make real good money overseas. IMO it's wrong to assume that. We've seen what Bria has done.

She is not going for the money just for the WNBA. She is also going to get a bigger paycheck overseas. Add the two checks up - she is going to make real god money.

Reaction Score
On top of her age, this particular draft is a great one to declare early for. There aren't a ton of excellent players vying for spots. Amanda will likely get drafted earlier in this class vs. next year's monster class. Incidentally, next year's class is also a reason why Morgan might benefit from using her full eligibility. The year after next probably won't be as strong.

But Morgan might be one of the monsters.

Reaction Score
I'd be pretty surprised if Zahui B. doesn't go first.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, there's not enough money in the WNBA to incent students to give up scholarships worth 40-50,000 a year.
If she wants to play professionally, she's missing out on close to half a potential career if she waits until she's 25. On top of the fact that, as others have pointed out, there's more money oversees.

Reaction Score
If she wants to play professionally, she's missing out on close to half a potential career if she waits until she's 25. On top of the fact that, as others have pointed out, there's more money oversees.
In Zowie B.s case- go for it.

In Morgan's case- stay for the degree. They're professional athletes- they could get a knee or foot injury and lose that money at any time.

Reaction Score
Doug Feinberg tweet

In rare move in women's basketball: @GophersWBB sophomore Amanda Zahui B. is declaring for the @WNBA Draft according to source

Article: http://www.artesianews.com/1037106/ap-source-minnesotas-zahui-b-declares-for-wnba-draft.html
I wonder if Lloyd would be tempted to leave ND if her hometown Sky moved up from #5 to #1 in the draft. She would play in her home town, Be the #1 pick in the draft (not happening next year), play on a team loaded with enough young talent (EDD, Prince, Vandersloot) to contend for a long time (next year she could end up on a team trying to rebuild around her). She can still finish her degree.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I wonder if Lloyd would be tempted to leave ND if her hometown Sky moved up from #5 to #1 in the draft. She would play in her home town, Be the #1 pick in the draft (not happening next year), play on a team loaded with enough young talent (EDD, Prince, Vandersloot) to contend for a long time (next year she could end up on a team trying to rebuild around her). She can still finish her degree.

Now *there* is an interesting thought. Jewell and EDD are tight. Jewell frequently sits courtside at Sky games.

Phenomenally unlikely, but an interesting thought.

Not to get too off topic, but I should also mention that Prince isn't on the team anymore...she was traded for Pondexter.

Reaction Score
That would be pretty freaking awesome!

Sloot and Cappie at guard

EDD and Jewell at forward

Fowles at center...

Reaction Score
Is there a reason to think the Sky might trade up to #1? Either way, the deadline has passed.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Is there a reason to think the Sky might trade up to #1? Either way, the deadline has passed.

There isn't.

But Loyd's deadline is not passed. Players that play in the championship game have until the day after to decide. McGraw and the SID are saying she's coming back, though.

Reaction Score
There isn't.

But Loyd's deadline is not passed. Players that play in the championship game have until the day after to decide. McGraw and the SID are saying she's coming back, though.
My bad. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reaction Score
That would be pretty freaking awesome!

Sloot and Cappie at guard

EDD and Jewell at forward

Fowles at center...

Sounds like a championship caliber team to me.

Reaction Score

Why would the team with the number 1 pick just hand them Loyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom