Anyone know which hotel is the "UConn Hotel" in Phoenix? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone know which hotel is the "UConn Hotel" in Phoenix?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Yes -

Team is staying at Palomar. Only large donors are staying there with them.

Other season ticket holder levels are at the Sheridan.

Does anyone know who makes the hotel decisions? Is it UCONN or NCAA?

That's twice now the team has stayed in boutique, small hotels....last year too.

Why wouldn't they want to get the most fan engagement and stay at a Sheridan etc?
What are you, a stalker? Leave the team alone, it's the biggest game(s) of the year. High five them on their way off the bus on into the arena. Incredible how entitled (in a bad way) some "fans" are

Reaction Score
I think @BigFanCT is simply comparing the way they used to do this. I was there in 2014 too and it was amazing. No one bothered the team but we saw them in the hotel and left them alone save for encouragement and support. The atmosphere was so awesome - they were showing the women's Final Four game in the lobby in between the men's games, Charles Barkley was there and ended up buying drink for everyone after we won, they presented the Coaches Championship Trophy in the hotel too. It'll be fine in Phoenix too but a little different. Can't wait!

Reaction Score
What are you, a stalker? Leave the team alone, it's the biggest game(s) of the year. High five them on their way off the bus on into the arena. Incredible how entitled (in a bad way) some "fans" are
This isn't a player thing, pal. Have you been to a FF? Although I will say in 2014 the team completely thrived off of the amount of fans in the hotel with them. I would know, I stayed there.

Getting the most amount of UConn fans in one place and not dividing them up between hotels is generally, a much better thing. The fan engagement is the best at the FF. Everyone pumped to be there and ready to run through a wall for their team. The schools that are in these bigger, 2000 room hotels, will benefit from that fan engagement. (And yes, the players do appreciate the high fiving and cheering on and off the bus, which sounds like it's going to be a bit smaller because of the boutique hotel).

Just surprising to me it's 2 years in a row now they got stuck in some boutique.

I'll be there either way - me, the bad fan. Will you?

Reaction Score
I’m with @BigFanCT on this one. The players deserve their privacy of course but it’s not fair to completely separate fans from the team. The fans, donors, and taxpayers of CT are the ones funding this program. I was also there in Dallas and the players/coaches absolutely loved the fan interaction. These are 20 year old kids…you can’t tell me thousands of fans traveling across the country to cheer them on and ask for pictures/autographs doesn’t make them happy. The lobby of the Dallas hotel was wide open but the team stayed downstairs and there were guards at the bottom of the escalator to prevent fans from going near where the team was staying. That makes sense of course. But to have them in a separate hotel makes no sense. Give the team their privacy but let the fans be a part of weekend. Isolating the fans does nobody any favors.

Reaction Score
I think @BigFanCT is simply comparing the way they used to do this. I was there in 2014 too and it was amazing. No one bothered the team but we saw them in the hotel and left them alone save for encouragement and support. The atmosphere was so awesome - they were showing the women's Final Four game in the lobby in between the men's games, Charles Barkley was there and ended up buying drink for everyone after we won, they presented the Coaches Championship Trophy in the hotel too. It'll be fine in Phoenix too but a little different. Can't wait!
Incredible night. Chuck also served up a few.

barkley.JPG

Reaction Score
What the hell is this post?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Where is Ewekon’s pregame this year? It’s not to be missed I hear

Well he had a valid reason for why it didn’t happen but the saddest part was that for a good few weeks, I was pronouncing his handle “Ewoken” in my head as I was reading. Hooked on Phonics didn’t help me!

IMG_7748.jpeg

Reaction Score
Assuming availability at both, would you book at the Sheraton or the Palomar?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This isn't a player thing, pal. Have you been to a FF? Although I will say in 2014 the team completely thrived off of the amount of fans in the hotel with them. I would know, I stayed there.

Getting the most amount of UConn fans in one place and not dividing them up between hotels is generally, a much better thing. The fan engagement is the best at the FF. Everyone pumped to be there and ready to run through a wall for their team. The schools that are in these bigger, 2000 room hotels, will benefit from that fan engagement. (And yes, the players do appreciate the high fiving and cheering on and off the bus, which sounds like it's going to be a bit smaller because of the boutique hotel).

Just surprising to me it's 2 years in a row now they got stuck in some boutique.

I'll be there either way - me, the bad fan. Will you?

Did you ever consider that maybe how Hurley likes to run his program is a factor in this? Things change. There used to be a lot of offers to closed practices, and face time with coaches, not to mention at least one offered trip with the team on an away game charter to certain donor groups EVERY year. While it still happens this is no longer the case at the levels it was offered before . I can't speak for coach, but from the outside evaluation of "how things work" now it is not a reach to deduce that things in general are much more insulated now.

Since the on court success cannot be argued with, I find it pointless to complain about stuff like this. It smacks of a tad of entitlement.

Reaction Score
Yes -

Team is staying at Palomar. Only large donors are staying there with them.

Other season ticket holder levels are at the Sheridan.

Does anyone know who makes the hotel decisions? Is it UCONN or NCAA?

That's twice now the team has stayed in boutique, small hotels....last year too.

Why wouldn't they want to get the most fan engagement and stay at a Sheridan etc?
Coach is preparing team for National Championship, lessens distractions

Reaction Score
Did you ever consider that maybe how Hurley likes to run his program is a factor in this? Things change. There used to be a lot of offers to closed practices, and face time with coaches, not to mention at least one offered trip with the team on an away game charter to certain donor groups EVERY year. While it still happens this is no longer the case at the levels it was offered before . I can't speak for coach, but from the outside evaluation of "how things work" now it is not a reach to deduce that things in general are much more insulated now.

Since the on court success cannot be argued with, I find it pointless to complain about stuff like this. It smacks of a tad of entitlement.

I don’t think it’s entitled. The way Hurley likes to run the program and isolating fans don’t need to be mutually exclusive. I support the hell out of Hurley. Whatever he’s doing, I’m fully bought into. But the fans, donors, and taxpayers pay his salary and fund the program. I think it’s best to give those people a positive and engaging experience in Arizona when it comes to this weekend. The people who stuck with the program through the miserable years of the American, the people who donate their hard earned money to the program. They deserve the fan experience if they’re making the trip to support the team. I’m all for giving the coaches and players the time and space they need to prepare but to act like they have to be in a separate hotel from the fan base just doesn’t seem necessary. In reality the only time they interact with the fans is when they are coming into or leaving the hotel. All other time is spent away from fans and with the team. If you were there in Dallas I’d think you could understand my point of view here.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s entitled. The way Hurley likes to run the program and isolating fans don’t need to be mutually exclusive. I support the hell out of Hurley. Whatever he’s doing, I’m fully bought into. But the fans, donors, and taxpayers pay his salary and fund the program. I think it’s best to give those people a positive and engaging experience in Arizona when it comes to this weekend. The people who stuck with the program through the miserable years of the American, the people who donate their hard earned money to the program. They deserve the fan experience if they’re making the trip to support the team. I’m all for giving the coaches and players the time and space they need to prepare but to act like they have to be in a separate hotel from the fan base just doesn’t seem necessary. In reality the only time they interact with the fans is when they are coming into or leaving the hotel. All other time is spent away from fans and with the team. If you were there in Dallas I’d think you could understand my point of view here.

This is about winning a National Championship on a Basketball court, it isn't freakin' Comic-Con. You are "entitled" to attend the Basketball contest and root the team on to victory. That's it. Anything else involving the team is at their discretion and convenience. By all means have your get-togethers, organize your get togethers, attend otherwise organized get togethers if that is your bag. No sweat with that. And there will be donors at the team hotel.

Reaction Score
This is about winning a National Championship on a Basketball court, it isn't freakin' Comic-Con. You are "entitled" to attend the Basketball contest and root the team on to victory. That's it. Anything else involving the team is at their discretion and convenience. By all means have your get-togethers, organize your get togethers, attend otherwise organized get togethers if that is your bag. No sweat with that. And there will be donors at the team hotel.

I’m not arguing that the team is on a mission to win a National Championship. I just have an issue with referring to fans as distractions. The players walking through the hotel lobby by fans who want a quick high five, a picture, or an autograph is not a distraction. I’m not advocating for fans to be able to walk up to the team’s rooms, bang on their door, and ask for an autograph. But geez I don’t think it’s asking too much for the players and coaches to show some love back to the program’s supporters when coming to or from the hotel. The fans at the F4 spend very good money to cheer us on. I stayed at the team hotel last year. I was on a completely separate floor and didn’t even encounter the team unless they were leaving or getting back to the hotel. The players were all super cool and loved the fan support. Clingan gave out a few high fives and signed a hat for a little kid before getting on the bus. How is that a distraction from winning the NC? It’s literally 30 seconds of their time to give back to people who traveled all that way to root for them.

Reaction Score

I'll be there either way - me, the bad fan. Will y
Danny is superstitious- maybe he wanted the same vibe for team this year? Worked out ok last year.
The hotel was a bit of a cluster after the game- but it was a good time.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Assuming availability at both, would you book at the Sheraton or the Palomar?

I just booked the Sheraton Downtown. I tried to book the Palomar yesterday and It wouldn’t let me without an affiliation code or something to that effect.

Reaction Score
Coach is preparing team for National Championship, lessens distractions
Just curious- is that a fact or just a guess? Genuinely wondering how hotel decisions are made- team or NCAA? At this point im just curious on that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom