Anyone know what this is about with Steve Pikiell? | The Boneyard

Anyone know what this is about with Steve Pikiell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I didn't know where to post this and this twitter account couldn't elaborate on the topic; figured someone may here may have an inkling as to what this is referring to.

Reaction Score
I'd imagine he's on a very short list should Ollie leave for the NBA, which I still think he might do.

Reaction Score
I think that they are likely concerned that Ollie would be fired and Pikiell will return to UConn where he belongs.

Reaction Score
I think that they are likely concerned that Ollie would be fired and Pikiell will return to UConn where he belongs.

I hope this is the rumor just so I can laugh at people for forking over $$ for this type of conjecture on a "premium" message board.

Reaction Score
lol

I WOULD SAY ... this is just standard Rutgers paranoia behaviour: no fanbase is nearly as batshit cray-crazy as a Rutgers group of men.
I am reading their message boards and they seriously believe:

a) the ceiling is higher for Rutgers basketball than UConn
b) why would Pikiell (a UConn alum) ever leave for HC at UConn

Like WHAT!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He's doing a nice job at Rutgers (which is a job in the past I've posted about saying was a job no coach in their right mind should take and anyone who did was going for a payday). If he can succeed at Rutgers, he's a freakin' miracle worker. Anyone saying he wouldn't be a good fit at UCONN is drinking too much eggnog with the hard stuff in it. He's got the great lineage to the early Calhoun years too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
11-2 with literally the easiest schedule in the country. Double digit losses to the only legit teams they've played.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
From what I understand, if he leads them to the CBI, he gets a $5M buy out as long as his agent says he's the finalist for the UConn job.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you substituted Ollie for an outsider to the program but kept the same results, he'd likely be on the hot seat by now. Very hot.

Also I'd like to point out if I was 6'5" I'd be in the NBA.

Reaction Score
He's doing a nice job at Rutgers (which is a job in the past I've posted about saying was a job no coach in their right mind should take and anyone who did was going for a payday). If he can succeed at Rutgers, he's a freakin' miracle worker. Anyone saying he wouldn't be a good fit at UCONN is drinking too much eggnog with the hard stuff in it. He's got the great lineage to the early Calhoun years too.

I could do a nice job at Rutgers after what they've gone through

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
11-2 with literally the easiest schedule in the country. Double digit losses to the only legit teams they've played.
Schedule for success, just like his mentor.

Reaction Score
Remember this is Rutgers. Any win is aHUGE for them.

Reaction Score
Oh man oh man, if anyone wants some grade A Christmas Comedy, head over to the basketball board at scarletnation.com, where they have pretty much come to a concensus that the Rutgers men's basketball job is a better job than the UConn's men's basketball job, so they have nothing to worry about.

Despite embarrassing failure after embarrassing failure, Rutgers fans continue to be the most smug, eliteist fans with the least to show for it in the entire country. Their athletic success over the past 100 years is highlighted by making the final 4 once in the 70s and being ranked in football once in the 2000's, and of course lucking into a conference upgrade that they didn't earn. UConn has 4 NATIONAL TITLES since the last time Rutgers made the tourney, but hey, big 10, am I right?

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/uconn-pikiell.116032/

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hot seat? For winning a national championship?
Knew this was coming haha. First off Merry Christmas to you and your family Upstater. Now let me divulge into my thought process.

Say instead of Ollie, UConn hired say...Shaka Smart. Smart has no ties to UConn whatsoever. Has only been to 1 Final Four, otherwise bounced in the 1st weekend. So he has some pedigree coming in - moreso than Ollie. But I digress, I've had too many beers this afternoon. Sip of Sunshine IPA and Wolf Among Weeds IPA to be exact. Let me digress again.

Say Shaka put up the following results:

20-10 - No Postseason
32-8 - NCAA National Champions
20-15 NIT First Round
25-11 NCAA Second Round
5-6 -

On the surface that is pretty solid. 50% of the time you're in the tournament, 25% of the time you're winning the whole thing. But when you dive deeper into the weeds you see the flaws that the offense has seen since Calhoun stepped down, the lack of basketball IQ since Shabazz and Boatright left, the lack of development, etc. Go search recent threads to find the complaints - some inaccurate and some spot on. The way the season has started, regardless of injuries, I think that Shaka would be sitting on a rather warm seat. I might have misspoken when I said very hot, but it would have been warm if he had no UConn connections. If Calhoun did not "choose' his successor, then I think the media and the administration would start to ask the hard questions that coaches on the hot seat get asked.

Just my 2 cents. You can't even buy anything with 2 cents anymore. Except maybe Cheif's used briefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom