Anyone going to Turkey? | The Boneyard

Anyone going to Turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have the opportunity to see USA Basketball this Sept 27 - Oct 5th in Ankara and Istanbul Turkey .... Head Coach GA and some of his best representatives from Storrs....

Anyone going who I can connect with out there?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm thinking about going. Will know soon.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm going.
Cat - I have housing reserved. Going to double check with a local how challenging getting to and from the arena will/won't be. You're welcome to come with!

Reaction Score
Love it.... I am UConn grad from '82 and over the top for my Lady Huskies..... I have only seen one game ever at Gampel, given that I have lived far away from home base, but have caught them many times on the road.....

This is the ultimate road trip I think!!! I am so much looking forward to it..... Would love to meet with folks similarly crazed and demented with the Uconn gene!!!!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
As we get closer, we'll do a roll call and see if folks are flying in/out at similar times...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm going. I think Eric is going with me.

I'll be staying in Europe. I think the Istanbul games are in Asia. :)

Not sure if I'll go to any games in Ankara or not. I hope to see both the USA and Canada, with Kia Nurse.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Note to recruits: How many coaches, players, and fans from your OTHER schools of interest will be in Turkey to watch the world championships??

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm going.
Cat - I have housing reserved. Going to double check with a local how challenging getting to and from the arena will/won't be. You're welcome to come with!

Thanks. I'll know by early next week and will be in touch if it's a go.

Reaction Score
Yeah..... according to the schedule, the prelims are in Ankara.... and medal round is 10/3-5 in Istanbul......

I have a UConn fraternity friend who lives in Ankara, so I will be fortunate enuf to catch both sides of this tournament.....

I am heartened by the fact that venues are capacities 10K in Ankara, and 13K in Istanbul, so it will be cozy enuf so all will get good seating.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah..... according to the schedule, the prelims are in Ankara.... and medal round is 10/3-5 in Istanbul.

I have a UConn fraternity friend who lives in Ankara, so I will be fortunate enuf to catch both sides of this tournament.....

I am heartened by the fact that venues are capacities 10K in Ankara, and 13K in Istanbul, so it will be cozy enuf so all will get good seating.
I read that some of the prelims are in Ankara and some in Istanbul. Does that sound correct? The medal round is definitely in Istanbul.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, MH, you are absolutely correct.
Thanks. I haven't looked at logistics yet. I'm willing to go to Ankara for a day trip, if that's feasible, but I have great lodging in Istanbul and hope to stay there every night.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
The misses and I are going, but only to the finals... And a bit of sightseeing before and after the tournament.

The prelims for USA are in Istanbul. For Canada in Ankara.

Top teams in all four groups qualify for the finals. #2 & 3 in each group play off in Ankara and Istanbul on the 1st October. Quarterfinals will be on the 3d, semis on the 4th and finals on the 5th. Four games each day starting at 2:00PM, 4:15PM?, 7PM and 9:15PM? Makes for a late night...

As far as I know, tickets are not yet on sale even though the web site says tickets on sale in April... Go figure!!! Anyone know different???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The misses and I are going, but only to the finals... And a bit of sightseeing before and after the tournament.

The prelims for USA are in Istanbul. For Canada in Ankara.

Top teams in all four groups qualify for the finals. #2 & 3 in each group play off in Ankara and Istanbul on the 1st October. Quarterfinals will be on the 3d, semis on the 4th and finals on the 5th. Four games each day starting at 2:00PM, 4:15PM?, 7PM and 9:15PM? Makes for a late night...

As far as I know, tickets are not yet on sale even though the web site says tickets on sale in April... Go figure!!! Anyone know different???
Thanks for the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc