Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide? | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My take on this situation is this: Her dad wants her to go to Uconn....he sees the long range development under Geno and his staff as the best result for Megan. Megan on the other hand, sees the prospect of reduced playing time as a result of two things ...1) learning the Uconn system especially defense will cause her to follow the learning curve just like any other Uconn freshman player has and 2) the strong stable of wing players that Uconn already has which she would have to compete with for playing time. At the other schools, Texas especially, she would be and instant starter along with a very strong team.

I think it is a decision that is very hard for a 17 year old whose ego has been stoked for a few years now....is she up for the challenge to go to Uconn? Let's hope her dad prevails on her.

Is this belief based on anything in particular or just conjecture on your part? Inquiring minds want to know..........

Reaction Score
I'm over it at this point. It was something to follow during the dead period, but first night is in a week, practices begin in earnest (along with the attendant increase in daily news), and the first exhibition game is not long after that. If she chooses UConn, great, if not then maybe we can stop hearing that UConn gets all the best players all the time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would be shocked...SHOCKED if Geno is still recruiting her. Let the other two fumble over each other with more home visits or trips to watch her play in a 3-on-3 tournament in Khazakistan.

Warning bells going off all over the place.......

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Looks like we're going for 1/4 million views on this thread! C'mon gang, I'm sure over the next month we can continue to spin the greatest non-story of the year.

The longer she takes, the less interested we're becoming. Personally, I think she and her family made a decision on the plane ride back home from South Bend. Why they are holding back on their announcement is anybody's guess. How and when they make the announcement is purely up to them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would be shocked...SHOCKED if Geno is still recruiting her. Let the other two fumble over each other with more home visits or trips to watch her play in a 3-on-3 tournament in Khazakistan.
Warning bells going off all over the place..
Those who know the absurdly arcane NCAA rules far better than I (which would be anyone) will confirm or deny, but I believe we're in some sort of a quiet period right now which substantially restricts all contact with senior recruits; right? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Reaction Score
The longer she takes, the more less interested we're becoming. Personally, I think she and her family made a decision on the plane ride back home from South Bend. Why they are holding back on their announcement is anybody's guess. How and when they make the announcement is purely up to them.

True, but it is up to me how much interest I have over her announcement, which at this point is none. Wake me up when it happens or not.

Carnac

Reaction Score
First Night ?

This same thought came to me also. If you wanted to make an announcement of epic proportions, what better stage to make it on other than UConn's "First Night? The building would erupt, and the crowd would go crazy.

The idea of Walker finally dropping the other shoe at first night would be sensational. I wonder if Geno would approve of incorporating something of this nature into the evening's program, if he's made aware of her decision before hand.

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention another potential fly in the ointment and that is Megan could be waiting to see where Westbrook commits to. Again the prospect of playing on the same team with Westbrook appeals to the short range viewpoint of a high school aged player. It means the whole load of leading a team to higher levels is shared .....Since Westbrook has a few visits yet to complete and her South Carolina visit this weekend is possibly going to be postponed, this might be contributing to the delay in the announcing her decision.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
May want to run the thread on the UNC debacle ;)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I forgot to mention another potential fly in the ointment and that is Megan could be waiting to see where Westbrook commits to. Again the prospect of playing on the same team with Westbrook appeals to the short range viewpoint of a high school aged player. It means the whole load of leading a team to higher levels is shared .....Since Westbrook has a few visits yet to complete and her South Carolina visit this weekend is possibly going to be postponed, this might be contributing to the delay in the announcing her decision.
It was reported earlier in the week that Westbrook canceled her visit to SCar and removed them from her list. The only other official she would have left is Oregon St. which I am sure she has probably visited unofficially before & USC which I am not sure if she has visited them or not.

Reaction Score
Walker =Uconn
Westbrook = USC Trojans. Fight on!
I am still excitedly waiting the announcements

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It was reported earlier in the week that Westbrook canceled her visit to SCar and removed them from her list. The only other official she would have left is Oregon St. which I am sure she has probably visited unofficially before & USC which I am not sure if she has visited them or not.

Who reported that Westbrook canceled her visit to SCar? I haven't seen that from any reliable source. Raoul doesn't count - he doesn't break news, he aggregates it.

She is not taking an official visit to Oregon State, or at least that was not the plan. So far, she has visited (in order): USC, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Maryland. South Carolina (if it happens at some point) will be her last allowed official visit.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Those who know the absurdly arcane NCAA rules far better than I (which would be anyone) will confirm or deny, but I believe we're in some sort of a quiet period right now which substantially restricts all contact with senior recruits; right? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Somewhat ;)Head bang
Here's the schedule and explanations (from the NCAA) of what can/can't happen during the two periods listed:
September 30, 2016, through February 28, 2017 [except for (1) and (2) below]: Evaluation Period, save for:
(1) November 7-10, 2016: Dead Period
(2) December 24-26, 2016: Dead Period

What is an evaluation period?
During an evaluation period a college coach may watch college-bound student-athletes compete, visit their high schools, and write or telephone student-athletes or their parents. However, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents off the college’s campus during an evaluation period.

What is a dead period?
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My take on this situation is this: Her dad wants her to go to Uconn....he sees the long range development under Geno and his staff as the best result for Megan. Megan on the other hand, sees the prospect of reduced playing time as a result of two things ...1) learning the Uconn system especially defense will cause her to follow the learning curve just like any other Uconn freshman player has and 2) the strong stable of wing players that Uconn already has which she would have to compete with for playing time. At the other schools, Texas especially, she would be and instant starter along with a very strong team.

I think it is a decision that is very hard for a 17 year old whose ego has been stoked for a few years now....is she up for the challenge to go to Uconn? Let's hope her dad prevails on her.

1) Her Father?-Ray Ray and Mookie's cousin said he not like that.
2) "Just like any other UCONN freshmen" really?-Kia Nurse was ahead of the curve and so could Megan.
3) Texas has a strong system? " since when? How did Texas last two seasons end again?
4) 17 Year old? Megan been #1 in the class for 3 years now she has been working hard for this day.
5) "The challenge of UCONN ". There it is! Already starting to flinch in case Megan's goes somewhere else.
6) I hope her dad doesn't prevail and Megan follows her heart.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
1) Her Father?-Ray Ray and Mookie's cousin said he not like that.
2) "Just like any other UCONN freshmen" really?-Kia Nurse was ahead of the curve and so could Megan.
3) Texas has a strong system? " since when? How did Texas last two seasons end again?
4) 17 Year old? Megan been #1 in the class for 3 years now she has been working hard for this day.
5) "The challenge of UCONN ". There it is! Already starting to flinch in case Megan's goes somewhere else.
6) I hope her dad doesn't prevail and Megan follows her heart.
Man Coco, you're tough. Nevertheless, I hope she follows her heart as well. Hoping that heart pumps blue.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Who reported that Westbrook canceled her visit to SCar? I haven't seen that from any reliable source. Raoul doesn't count - he doesn't break news, he aggregates it.

She is not taking an official visit to Oregon State, or at least that was not the plan. So far, she has visited (in order): USC, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Maryland. South Carolina (if it happens at some point) will be her last allowed official visit.

O -- Raoul's latest Finalist chart has taken S.Carolina off from E. Westbrook's list of schools (same for J. Williams). I asked some our S. Carolina members if they had heard anything on this and if Ms. Westbrook was still coming to SC for her official visit. I believe Gamecock got back to us saying he had not heard anything and imagined -- if anything -- perhaps the uncertainty of the weather could be impacting this.
I've seen nothing else...
(It was on one of of the M. Walker threads...I've lost track of them).

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
O -- Raoul's latest Finalist chart has taken S.Carolina off from E. Westbrook's list of schools (same for J. Williams). I asked some our S. Carolina members if they had heard anything on this and if Ms. Westbrook was still coming to SC for her official visit. I believe Gamecock got back to us saying he had not heard anything and imagined -- if anything -- perhaps the uncertainty of the weather could be impacting this.
I've seen nothing else...
(It was on one of of the M. Walker threads...I've lost track of them).

Oh, I know all that. I'm just saying that Raoul isn't a reporter, per se. I don't take his chart as proof that SCar is truly no longer in the mix for Westbrook.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Oh, I know all that. I'm just saying that Raoul isn't a reporter, per se. I don't take his chart as proof that SCar is truly no longer in the mix for Westbrook.

Agreed. That's one reason why I asked SCGamecock or others who might have some news for us. Hopefully, we'll hear/see something.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Good point!!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score

Where ever he is getting the info from he provided a full updated list of who is still considering who for 2017:
& he seems to respond to questions on twiiter if you want to ask. I'm one of the few millennials who is not good with social media.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There are many important factors that high school athletes must consider before pledging their commitment to a college or university.

Some of those include the success of the program the athlete would like to join, where the athlete would land on the depth chart and the athlete’s relationship with the coaching staff and the players.

And those are only concerns involving athletics. Sometimes, though, that’s all it takes for an athlete to commit to a school.

If that had been the case for Monacan’s Megan Walker, ESPN’s No. 1-ranked girls basketball recruit, she would have committed to Connecticut when she was a freshman.

This left Walker’s father, Keith Walker, to ask the hard-hitting questions.

On Walker’s official visits, her father asked Texas what the 2018 recruiting class looks like. He asked UConn where Walker figures on the depth chart. He asked Notre Dame how the Irish see the No. 1 and No. 2 recruits playing together on the same team.

Megan Walker said she’s not too worried about any of that, because she knows the only way she will be successful is if she continues to work hard.

“I know it won’t be easy,” she said. “But I’m a natural-born competitor and I will work with the players that are already there because I want to go somewhere I can play, somewhere there is good competition and somewhere that has good players that can mentor me.”

One question remains: Which school will she pick?

If she knew that answer, she said she would have already committed.

“My goal was the end of (September), but I didn’t expect to be this confused,” she said. “Before now, I only visited UConn, so I didn’t really know what to expect when I went to Texas or Notre Dame.”

Whatever Walker saw or talked about with Texas coach Karen Ashton and Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw was enough to keep them in the running.

“It’s really hard when you talk to the coaches for this long, because after a while they get to know you and you get to know them and you start to develop a relationship with them,” said Walker.

She said she hopes to make a decision before or on signing day.

Monacan's Megan Walker, and ESPN’s No. 1 recruit, deluged with scholarship offers

Reaction Score
MW has painted herself into a corner by being so public about this competition for her enrollment........while it might be fun to string along three programs and their fans, it really adds pressure when the decision isn't so clear cut and the clock is ticking ................I wonder if she would have done it differently if given another opportunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom